Team-BHP - 80K run Verna VGT. Turbo working or not?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   80K run Verna VGT. Turbo working or not? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/134173-80k-run-verna-vgt-turbo-working-not.html)

Hi,

I've been a regular reader on the forum for close to six years now and this is the first time I am posting a question. My dad performed a lateral upgrade from our '09 40K run ikon TDCI to a '10 verna VGT with 80K on the odo. This was a single owner vehicle and we were informed of no problems with this vehicle from Hyundai ASS in Kollam, Kerala.

After dad brought home the vehicle, me and my dad went for a test drive. I was expecting a mad rush of raw power after 2000rpm but there was none of the "drama" which has been so passionately written about in so many reviews in the forums. Am I missing something here? Or is it because I am already used to a peppy diesel like ikon tdci and i'm not blown away by the vgt?
Is there a sure shot way of assessing the turbo's performance from the ASS?
Please respond gurus

Note to Mods- This is my first post please do classify it in the right category if it is necessary

Note from Team-Bhp Support: Please take time to check your reply before posting. Plenty of punctuation mistakes were there.
We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

I drive a ford tdci motor, and when i drove a Verna crdi, i was literally blown away. I would say a 'feel of flight'. And in no way you can say that the ford motor as peppy. Responsive is the word.

Not an expert but having owned the same car there is definitely a rush of power after 2k~ rpm even at 65k on the odo (which is when I sold it). Alternatively, a less subjective test you can do is try to listen for the whoosh of the turbo. That's all I can think of short of digging around under the hood.

Try this, disconnect the +ve terminal of the battery for 30 mins and reconnect.Now go to a open road slot to 3rd gear and leave the throttle.The car should be moving on its own accord.Now give full throttle (pedal to the floor) .As the RPM rises slowly,check if you get that push in the seat when the RPM goes past 2000. If not then there can be some problem. The turbo rush in Verna pre-fluidic is violent. That is the USP of the car. No may you can miss that feeling. And yeah you cant compare the Ikon diesel with the verna diesel. Both are different. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dicor99 (Post 3075148)
After dad brought home the vehicle, me and my dad went for a test drive. I was expecting a mad rush of raw power after 2000rpm but there was none of the "drama" which has been so passionately written about in so many reviews in the forums. Am I missing something here? .

The difference between the Ikon and Verna should be very clear.

Is there too much of black smoke after 2k rpm?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushs (Post 3075320)
The difference between the Ikon and Verna should be very clear.

Is there too much of black smoke after 2k rpm?

Actually I have not seen the vehicle from the rear as it is moving, but before the purchase i had revved it in neutral to about 3.5K rpm and there was virtually no smoke AT ALL. This was a big point in our purchase decision. So i will check the above point and get back to you :)

If you find the Ikon peppier, and don't feel a mad rush after 2,000 rpm in the Verna, there is definitely something wrong with the engine or turbo.

Lets just hope it's something minor.

Look up this thread for possible solutions to a missing turbo kick.

Quote:

My dad performed a lateral upgrade from our '09 40K run ikon TDCI to a '10 verna VGT with 80K on the odo.

Can't say that's a wise decision. You sold a 40,000 km car that you knew inside out and bought a 80,000 km car you know nothing about!

Quote:

we were informed of no problems with this vehicle from Hyundai ASS in Kollam, Kerala.
They would obviously say that.

Quote:

After dad brought home the vehicle, me and my dad went for a test drive. I was expecting a mad rush of raw power after 2000rpm but there was none of the "drama"
Do you test-drive a used car *before* or *after* putting your money down?

Under-clocking the odometer is unfortunately a common practice with used diesel cars. I'm extremely surprised that you - as a BHPian - didn't even so much as drive the car before purchase! Nor did you follow any of the used car rules listed here.

You should be able to make out the Turbo kick quick easily. That said one would also spot a huge absence of power feeling if the Turbo was not working at all. So can only predict that though there is some trouble somewhere, possibly it is not all bad.

Take the car to the ASS and get it checked specifically for power and Turbo.

Being a '09 Verna owner, I can vouch for the mad rush at ~ 1800 - 2000 RPM this car provides. You can definitely evidently feel it!

On the other hand, if the vehicle feels normal (read not sluggish), I feel you are either expecting even more than what the car dishes out or there is indeed a problem with the turbo.

I don't think a complete *failure* of the turbo will go unnoticed. Black smoke, humming noise from the turbo, powerlessness are some common signs of a problematic turbo.

That brings me to the question - What exactly happens on a turbo failure? Does the car limp forward or does it come to a complete stand still? Somebody who has experienced this can shed light.

Many a times such mistakes are made. Not everyone knows about the turbo kick feeling the Verna gives .And as you said your dad picked up the car, hence he must not be aware about the same. But you need not worry.

Did you buy the car from Hyundai or from a 3rd party ?? If you bought it from Hyundai itself then you have a stronger case and can claim a replacement of the turbo. This would be easy as the Hyundai ASS claimed that nothing was wrong with the car.

Keep us updated :thumbs up

I dont think Its is a major Problem. Its usually about black oil mixed soot and slush on Turbine side of this turbo. Also Intercooler is prone to accumulation of the same.

Get your turbo , Intercooler and all hose pipes cleaned. Chocked air filter will result in similar symptoms.

If turbo was not making desired pressure in Intake, It would trigger CEL on dashboard through manifold pressure sensor (actually located on Intercooler in Verna) and car would smoke more than normal.
All that if the problem is only missing rush!

Quote:

Hi,
Is there a sure shot way of assessing the turbo's performance from the ASS?

Why don't you get the car checked by the A.S.S once again so that they hook up the OBD Scanner to check for the turbo boost pressure that the car is developing is what it should be or no?!

Try and get it checked by another service centre or an outside mechanic whom you may know. If the car is maintained well then Turbo's last 150000+ kms. A turbo failing at 80000 kms is surprising and does indicate some ill-maintenance.

Did you get the service history wen you purchased the car?

Anurag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3077082)
Why don't you get the car checked by the A.S.S once again so that they hook up the OBD Scanner to check for the turbo boost pressure that the car is developing is what it should be or no?!

Try and get it checked by another service centre or an outside mechanic whom you may know. If the car is maintained well then Turbo's last 150000+ kms. A turbo failing at 80000 kms is surprising and does indicate some ill-maintenance.

Did you get the service history wen you purchased the car?

Anurag.

Yes the vehicle has been impeccably maintained both cosmetically and mechanically, it belonged to one my dad's friend's with a complete service record upto 80K. But I'm really getting worried about this now , and Hyundai ASS at Kollam ,Kerala has absolutely declined the existence of 'any' device that specifically checks the turbo boost. I am at loss of words and I am surely beginning to miss my josh machineplease: Please give me some more info about this "OBD" scanner.

Also I have read somewhere that EGR cleaning often helps with the pickup. I'm not sure if this is relevant question . Please forgive my ignorance since I am only a college student...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dicor99 (Post 3077453)
Yes the vehicle has been impeccably maintained both cosmetically and mechanically, it belonged to one my dad's friend's with a complete service record upto 80K. But I'm really getting worried about this now , and Hyundai ASS at Kollam ,Kerala has absolutely declined the existence of 'any' device that specifically checks the turbo boost. I am at loss of words and I am surely beginning to miss my josh machineplease: Please give me some more info about this "OBD" scanner.

Also I have read somewhere that EGR cleaning often helps with the pickup. I'm not sure if this is relevant question . Please forgive my ignorance since I am only a college student...

Did you try out my suggestion that i posted earlier?.
First check the complete service history of the vehicle to see if the EGR,intercooler cleaning or anything related to turbo like pipes and hoses have been replaced . If they have then post the details of the same

If the above mentioned ones are not present in the service history then i strongly suggest you get the EGR cleaned thoroughly, clean the inter-cooler and replace the turbo hoses and put in fresh engine oil and a clean or new air filter! Because since the car is 80K old , these things are mandatory at around 50K.

A small hunch- Ensure that you have a clean air filter. Then remove the diesel cap and close the fuel lid.Keep the cap in the boot so that you don't lose it.Now run the car and see if you can see any noticeable difference. Because one of the members was facing the loss of turbo kick on his SX4 DDiS and it turned out to be a vapor lock in the fuel tank!

About OBD scanners-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...n-cars-32.html

But don't worry about procuring the OBD scanners right now. They also wont be able to display boost and all!Do the "hunch" part above and let me know if it helped a bit

I have a question , suppose in a car which has a functioning turbo spins at 2K rpm at 80kmph in 5th gear, will the same rpm be maintained for the same speed if there is problem with the turbo? I humbly request somebody to post their rpm readings at 60 and 80kmph in 4th and 5th gear respectively so that I could use it as a reference. I have also tried unplugging the +ve end of the battery terminal and reconnecting but there is no difference.