Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2013, 23:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Equipment Options for "Underbody Inspection" at home

If you have adequate space available in your house plot construct a ramp. Though this would be slightly expensive than an inspection pit, the ramp is a lot more safer. Pit, left uncovered, is extremely dangerous with children running around. Further, unlike hydraulic lifts, ramp requires zero maintenance and would facilitate easier under-body washing too..

Last edited by rajeev k : 24th May 2013 at 23:31.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 23:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
If you have adequate space available in your house plot construct a ramp. Though this would be slightly expensive than an inspection pit, the ramp is a lot more safer. Pit, left uncovered, is extremely dangerous with children running around. Further, unlike hydraulic lifts, ramp requires zero maintenance and would facilitate easier under-body washing too..
Ramp is a nice suggestion as it is easier to clean but unfortunately, my plot cannot accommodate a ramp. I need at least 5.8-6 foot height for inspection, so I need to raise the car 6 feet high, for which i need a length of at least 4/5 meters to climb. Secondly, Ramp must be built at the sides / rear to avoid eyesore. Lastly, my frontage is only 40 feet.
Old 25th May 2013, 04:28   #18
BHPian

It's every petrolhead's dream to have a Garage with a variety of tools with which you can spend your sunday morning. It's nice to see you are building your home with a similar idea.

Regarding the Pit, what you could do is on one longitudinal side of the Pit, you can have a couple of plastic/fibre/metal sheets hinged with the ground to form a sort of a horizontal door, which can cover the Pit when not in use. Just open the door to the Pit when you want to get under your car.

I'm bad with photo editing software else I would have drawn something to explain what i'm trying to say
SuperBee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 08:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I think all the above posts suggest on "Pit" as the most economical solution.

I am constructing a Bungalow type individual house, so placement of the Pit does not matter. I mean I am okay building a pit and need not answer anyone. (If it is apartment, others may object).

Now I am stuck with one thig. I need to cover the pit due to safety concerns. I have a 5 month old kid now, who will grow up by the time i construct the house.

Please throw some suggestions on how to cover the pit. I could put Iron Grills, but that would be stolen for sure (Not planning to have a watchman / security guard). Any other suggestions please?
If the compound is large enough how about a concrete ramp like the one we see in old workshops? Will be prolly expensive than pit but will not have to make a cover for it. You can turn that area into a washing station too.
Edit: Pls disregard the above. Just saw your post that its not feasible.

To cover the pit two options come to my mind.
1) A small width rolling shutter installed lengthwise. Opening and closing might be a bit tedious because of the length. You can install hand cranking system if push/pull turns out to be hard. Install the rolling shutter in such way that the spool is under the ground and not visible.

2) Two or three separate pieces of metal gates installed under the ground which you can pull sideways to the other side of the pit to close it. Small segments will make it easier to close and open.

Both options to be built with locking arrangement.

Last edited by Sankar : 25th May 2013 at 08:39.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 10:30   #20
BANNED

Quote:
I think all the above posts suggest on "Pit" as the most economical solution.

Please throw some suggestions on how to cover the pit. I could put Iron Grills, but that would be stolen for sure (Not planning to have a watchman / security guard). Any other suggestions please?
Hi there. Having a pit in the house might seem like a great idea. I should know, we have one in our older house.

But honestly, the number of times we used it is hardly worth the effort or loss of space that the pit made. Unless your pit entrance is large enough, underbody inspection almost always becomes a 2 man operation.

I can however see the need for a way to inspect the underside. Can I suggest you follow on your pit idea, but make it very shallow. More like a small ditch. That way, you can roll under it comfortably, and do your inspection, and if done in a well tapered way, you wont have to worry about covering a hole.

A pit also brings in the added nuisance of groundwater seepage.

Good luck. Cheers.
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 12:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

You could try a hybrid solution
1. A shallow pit say 1.5 feet
2. A low ramp say 4 feet

You get 5.5 feet clearance. Add to that 200mm (8") GC, and you have 6'+ space to work. Depending on your preference and space you can juggle between the pit depth and the ramp height

If 5'8" suffices, then a 1.5' pit and a 3.5' ramp would suffice.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 22:12   #22
BHPian

Why not build the pit in your garage?

And cover it with iron grills.I am sure you will be the only person in your house to move them around.you can lock it down too.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 23:48   #23
BHPian

I would say - 4 jack stands,one hydraulic jack and a mechanic's creeper(even old cardboard would do) will be good enough for a casual under-body DIY job.

Pit has its own limitations - It cannot be used to service the suspension and brakes.
You will need jack-stands and jack anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Equipment Options for "Underbody Inspection" at home-412xc53fval.jpg  

interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 16:30   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This apprears to be a good option, but could not figure out how to lift the car
Hope this helps:

bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 18:59   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I suppose you would obviously be planning to build it inside your house compound wall, I don't think the grill would be stolen. For added safety just a provision of a simple lock would be enough.

Even after the lock if someone steals the grill then may god save your ride man !!
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks