Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2013, 01:02   #1
BHPian

Sound from the axle / front end of the car? Maruti workshops unable to solve

Hi All,

I went through some posts under the topic "What's that sound" but could not find a solution:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ats-sound.html

I own a 2005 model Maruti zen. Tyres never changed. It has done around 46000 Km,

For almost a year now I have noticed a sound from the front side of the engine, bottom of the car - of a:

"sound associated with rotation. If I am at speed and slowing down near a speed breaker that sounds becomes louder and finally stops when I am at a very low speed over the speed breaker". To me it appears as if something is rotating, like a rod between loose parts and while in motion it is making the sound. It is not a sharp squeaking sound at all like worn out brakes. Looks like a rod making a sound - could it be axle? If so could not have the service center people detected that easily?

Earlier that sound used to come on and off - and unfortunately it never came up whenever I went to the Maruti authorized service station (been there 3 times).

Now since last week it is a regular sound (now there are good chances of it coming up at service center).

In the last service I was advised to change all tyres (not related to diagnosis of this issue as it was not seen that time), but I am not sure if tyres are the reason.

Why I am writing to this group - the 2 different service centers that I showed my car were unable to (in Bangalore) detect the real cause.
Now it is more regular - so before I go to the service center - want to be aware of what possibilities could be there for this sound, the risks and ask them to specifically look into certain areas based on advice I receive.

Please advise.

thanks in advance.
Old 25th August 2013, 07:50   #2
BHPian

re: Sound from the axle / front end of the car? Maruti workshops unable to solve

Do get your tyres changed. It's not related to the sound though. From what you have described it appears to be a bearing issue, either from the accessory drive belt area or from a wheel.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 08:33   #3
BHPian

re: Sound from the axle / front end of the car? Maruti workshops unable to solve

You have not mentioned the type of sound (as in squeaky, thuds, etc.,)

Few possibilites-

1. If the sound is "squeaky" it could be the suspension bushes and/or dry tie rod ends.
2. If it is "khat khat" kinda sound it could again be suspension related but lower arms and/or support rod ends.
3. Park your car on a flat surface and turn the steering wheel to the left and right. Do you sense any play while doing so? If yes, steering ball joints needs attention.
4. To check if the sound is from wheel bearing, you could jack the car up one after the other wheel and rotate the wheel and listen for whining/grinding kinda sound.

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 25th August 2013 at 08:36.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 09:48   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliantlights View Post
want to be aware of what possibilities could be there for this sound, the risks and ask them to specifically look into certain areas based on advice I receive.
Something should be loose in the belt/pulley area. Please check for all the pulleys, and make sure nothing is touching the belt.

Also, make sure the fan is clear of all obstacles.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 10:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:

Earlier that sound used to come on and off - and unfortunately it never came up whenever I went to the Maruti authorized service station (been there 3 times).
Was this sound appearing while taking a turn? Then it could be the drive shaft bearing, a common problem in many front wheel drive cars.
rajcs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 11:11   #6
BHPian

Thanks everyone. I am going again to the mechanic today (M.A.S.S) with a hope they detect it this time and the sound comes when I am giving a test ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
Was this sound appearing while taking a turn? Then it could be the drive shaft bearing, a common problem in many front wheel drive cars.
in general - this comes anytime - on straight drives as well. I have noted of all the times it comes, maximum (but not always) has been when the a/c is on.

It is more like a khat khat sound.

I will share all the inputs from this thread with the mechanic to check and share the diagnosis and if possible upload a recording of the sound as well.

thanks again.
Old 25th August 2013, 11:40   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Did you visit Mandovi Motors? I take my vehicle to JP Nagar workshop and they are reliable. I once had some sound (like you keep some object in a closed tight space tin dabba and gently move!) coming from somewhere rear of the vehicle. Though to have something to do with suspension but no one could resolve it. So they kept the car for 2 days with them and tried various things such as cold start, engine bay check etc. And finally you know what, they found a very minor issue that was causing this sound - with exhaust tail pipe!

Good thing is that they did not give up on it until they found the cause of issue. They also gave me a car temporarily until they find issue with my SX4. So i rate them 5 out of 5. Give them a try - if need any specific contact person name and details, PM me.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 12:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I am going again to the mechanic today (M.A.S.S) with a hope they detect it this time and the sound comes when I am giving a test ride.
Did you get your problem resolved? Of late my Wagon-R is also giving out such sounds from the front left.Its like a 'khlaaat khat' sound and generally appears when I have driven 1-2 kms and the engine is warm.
At the same time when I park my car and push the left side of the car down to check for suspension damping performance, I find it to be the same as the other side except for the small 'khlaaat khat' noise.
I want to be able to reproduce it in front of MSA, so waiting for the problem to magnify (there is no performance or safety issue I can think of, may be a rubber bushing issue or a costlier wheel bearing/joint problem)
Old 25th August 2013, 19:30   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Have you been to MASS for the rectification of the problem you were facing?

Has it been detected by them and been solved? What was the issue?

Please update it here as soon as you can!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 09:42   #10
BHPian

Hi Brilliantlights, given the fact that this sound disappears when you are at very low speeds just have your wheel bearings checked, the problem could lie here
gops2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 15:28   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Sound from the axle / front end of the car? Maruti workshops unable to solve

I had a similar issue with my Alto too. That was a metallic krr sound and it used to come when I go over potholes, speed breakers or sometimes when breaking. Couple of visits to MASS and the issue was diagnosed as due to suspension lower arm.
A replacement (Part value ~400, labour ~300) solved the issue.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 12:08   #12
BHPian

Re: Sound from the axle / front end of the car? Maruti workshops unable to solve

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
You have not mentioned the type of sound (as in squeaky, thuds, etc.,)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Have you been to MASS for the rectification of the problem you were facing?

Has it been detected by them and been solved? What was the issue?

Please update it here as soon as you can!

Anurag.
thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Here are the updates (plus a sound recording!)

I could not go to the M.A.S.S on the weekend as the sound did not come while I drove. However the sound started coming on the weekday on my way to work.

The following observations were made:

1. In the first 20-25 minutes the sound does not come - in whatever road condition.
2. After around 25 minutes the sound starts coming. Engine has warmed up enough to cause the sound is one reason. (Any other thoughts here?)
3. Was a/c playing a role?
I tried one journey in the morning with a/c on and one in the evening with a/c off. I could recreate the sound in both cases - each time the sound appears after around 25 minutes or so.
4. On the weekend none of my journeys were more than 15-20 mins and all the errands that I ran had breaks in between, causing the car to cool down, so possible it never triggered the issue. The two M.A.S.S are around my office and my home, in both cases I reached them in less than 25 mins so I could not recreate this earlier.

Took a recording of the sound that is shared. Since its not very clear - I find that listening with a headphone will give a better sound quality than speakers. It is prominent from 50s onwards if not able to hear before that.

Click here:
http://beta.dropshots.com/brilliantl...media/76737832

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I had a similar issue with my Alto too. That was a metallic krr sound and it used to come when I go over potholes, speed breakers or sometimes when breaking. Couple of visits to MASS and the issue was diagnosed as due to suspension lower arm.
A replacement (Part value ~400, labour ~300) solved the issue.
mpksuhas - thanks for the inputs - have uploaded the sound recording, was it similar?

Next I plan to take it to the M.A.S.S after > 25 mins running and will share the results.

Click here:
http://beta.dropshots.com/brilliantl...media/76737832

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th August 2013 at 15:09. Reason: Adding link
Old 1st September 2013, 19:22   #13
BHPian

PROBLEM SOLVED
------------------

All,

Thank you for the valuable inputs. The problem is finally solved. As planned and described earlier took it to the mechanic (it was around 8.30 pm and the M.A.S.S was open for the extended hours of operation with no rush and the mechanic all to my car).

The mechanic could easily hear the sound during the test drive and said he figured out the issue to be in the "Steering Assembly" as the sound was prominent. He put the car over the pit and what I noted adjusted a few parts and the sound was gone!
I told him about the sound coming only when the car was much hotter and he explained that lubrication/grease would turn very thin on high temperatures and lead to the friction that was not the case when it was colder and firm. However the steer wheel asembly was adjusted without the need to open the steering wheel.

I appreciated this detection and the fix very much specially when several other visits (when the sound did not come as noted in earlier posts) could not yield any results.

He told me he had 16 years of experience and that helped. I agree as I was told earlier that a steering wheel overhaul could be needed costing around 3000/-!!! This person did it for free!

He advised me to be gentle with the car driving, specially on roads with pot holes.

In addition I got the tyres changed (Apollo 4G Amazer) later and that has also made a huge difference to the driving experience (much needed as old ones had done nearly 47K Kms with no change in 8 years!) .

Thanks everyone!
brilliantlights is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2013, 19:57   #14
BANNED

Quote:
PROBLEM SOLVED
He told me he had 16 years of experience and that helped. I agree as I was told earlier that a steering wheel overhaul could be needed costing around 3000/-!!! This person did it for free!

He advised me to be gentle with the car driving, specially on roads with pot holes.
That is good news Brilliant Lights!

Finally the problem is given some rest and rest to your mind for racking it to find the source of problem.

So according to that mechanic it was related to steering assembly and could have come up due to the heavy pothole roads and may be you were fast over certain potholes that could have disturbed the settings inside!

Man, This mechanic is commendable as he could identify it and rectify in the first drive. Good that MASS has finally helped. Hats Off to him!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2013, 20:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
That is good news Brilliant Lights!
Man, This mechanic is commendable as he could identify it and rectify in the first drive. Good that MASS has finally helped. Hats Off to him!
Anurag.

Yes, absolutely, it has given me peace of mind now.
The mechanic's name is Mahendran at Green Cars, Koramangala who does the night shift there and took the tension off me and the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derezzed View Post
Did you get your problem resolved? Of late my Wagon-R is also giving out such sounds from the front left.
Derezzed - I have given the details of the mechanic and the M.A.S.S above. Please let me know if I could share any other information to help.

Last edited by brilliantlights : 1st September 2013 at 20:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks