Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2006, 13:47   #1

Megasquirt - Advanced Electronic Fuel Injection Computer

Hello guys just found this forum

Ok I need to know if any of you guys are familiar with the DIY Megasquirt EFI system. I am planning to make this for a racecar. If anyone has any experience with this please let me know. I would be glad if you could provide me with some tips and most importantly things that can go wrong.
I am willing to travel to anywhere in India just to get to know how this system is working. I have all the reading materials with me but I need to meet someone who has experience in this field so that I dont blowup

So please any info regarding this megasquirt efi???

BTW link to MS is: http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/

I shall be using MSII v3 board.I ll provide more details if you want.
Old 14th June 2006, 15:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

Do a search for Megasquirt on the forum and you will get 2 other threads where it is mentioned.

Your best bet would be rdkartik as this stuff is what he does!

Please tell us a little more about this racecar you are building....

cya
R
Old 9th July 2007, 08:50   #3

Megasquirt VLOG

All,

have just taken delivery of a MS - II kit. Shall be posting a VLOG of the entire process. stay tuned!!!

~Madhu.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th July 2007 at 10:37. Reason: Only 2 smileys please, looking forward to the review!
Old 9th July 2007, 11:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

madhunm how much did the kit cost you, and from which site did u order it, I am working on getting the parts on my own, still stuck with the MAP sensor. Am planing to order from freescale directly. do have any source in b'lore where I can get the sensor and the microcontroller from.
Old 9th July 2007, 11:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

hey redevil you planning to buy the kit or making it your self? as getting parts is not that easy, I have been collecting the parts for quit some time now [initially the cost was a problem and now time is] but I do not want to buy the kit, I like doing this kind of stuff on my own [can improve the design]. also try the AVR based efi system, except for the map sensor most of the parts are available in india.
Old 9th July 2007, 15:51   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Contact Rdkarthik from the forum. He will help you with anything MegaSquirt related.
Old 9th July 2007, 21:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

if you are using MS for spark as well, the project is going to be a little more complicated. you have to use the MSnS-extra firmware and find a way to trigger the ignition using a toothed wheel. Usually I think they use a 32-1 (32 minus 1 teeth) wheel and these are available pretty easily. Adapting that to your engine is the tough part.

The other issues to consider are what parts you will use for throttle bodies. A compatible TPS has to be used. Half the headaches will be solved if you use the throttle body assembly w/TPS from a different engine or the same engine if the TB matches your intended flowrate.

With this much done, you are good to setup everything and start tuning. Now I dont know much about this part, but if you dont have a base fuel map things are going to get tough. If you dont have a base map I suggest you get a wideband O2 sensor w/datalogger so you wont cause any engine damage thru a leanout.

Although I am new to MS, my to-do list for a typical fuel-only MS install would be the following in order of priority:

1) Buying suitable set of throttle bodies (with TPS to make things easier) and finding means of mounting them.
2) Buying Off-the-shelf GM IAT & CLT sensors (because they work with MS without any calibration), and finding means of mounting them.
3) Buying Innovate Motorsports LC-1 wideband O2 datalogger, and finding means of mounting the O2 sensor on the collector.
4) Deciding if its possible to run hybrid alpha-n with ITBs. If possible, then buying microsquirt; if not possible, buying MS-I v3.0 main board.
5) Buying all the other hardware like stimulator, relay board, cables and wiring harnesses.

This is for a motorcycle. For a car I think it would be a little more complicated and you'd have to talk to rdkarthik about that.
Old 10th July 2007, 23:20   #8

hi all,

@ananth -
Quote:
if you are using MS for spark as well, the project is going to be a little more complicated. you have to use the MSnS-extra firmware and find a way to trigger the ignition using a toothed wheel.
the MegaSquirt 2 (MS2) doesnt need any firmware change. it comes with both fuel and spark management at the hardware level.

Quote:
Usually I think they use a 32-1 (32 minus 1 teeth) wheel and these are available pretty easily. Adapting that to your engine is the tough part.
I have a ford Ikon, and that comes in with a 32-1 wheel as OE. please correct me if im wrong.

Quote:
The other issues to consider are what parts you will use for throttle bodies. A compatible TPS has to be used. Half the headaches will be solved if you use the throttle body assembly w/TPS from a different engine or the same engine if the TB matches your intended flowrate.
The software for the MS2 - MegaTune comes with a TPS calibration tool, with which i can calibrate the endpoints. in case the polarity has to be changed, i dont think thats too much of a problem.

Quote:
With this much done, you are good to setup everything and start tuning. Now I dont know much about this part, but if you dont have a base fuel map things are going to get tough. If you dont have a base map I suggest you get a wideband O2 sensor w/datalogger so you wont cause any engine damage thru a leanout.
again, MegaTune to the rescue... using the engine capacity, redline RPM and RPM points for peak RPM and torque, the software makes a preliminary map which we may use as a starting point.

@dinar -
Quote:
madhunm how much did the kit cost you, and from which site did u order it, I am working on getting the parts on my own, still stuck with the MAP sensor. Am planing to order from freescale directly. do have any source in b'lore where I can get the sensor and the microcontroller from.
the kit was ordered from DIYAutoTune.com and as regards collecting the parts yourself, i really must appreciate your patience. for a little extra money, the company above puts them all in a box and sends it to you.

havent gotten to unpack the thing yet, just moved house and am busy setting up. should start this weekend prolly.

will be hard at work on this when you guys are pardying at the meet.

i cant make it...

cheers,
Madhu.
Old 11th July 2007, 00:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Maybe I should have made it clear that I was talking about the whole MS thing from the point of view of using ITBs and for fuel management only. For this purpose you cant beat a MS1 for value.

Ford engines are definitely easier cause MS was designed using off-the-shelf Ford and GM EDIS parts, but if you are going to do something like an esteem its going to be a bitch cause they dont come with a 32-1 wheel. Nor does a multi-cylinder motorcycle.

Of course people have modified the code to use other wheels but you wont do that if you dont know programming.

Regarding the TPS I was talking about the difficulties in mounting the TPS and then getting the right calibration. Sometimes your throttle plate movement wont give you the right range of adjustment, even with the built-in calibration feature.

oh yes, you can use a base map but it aint any good if you dont have an O2 sensor. Unless you are an expert tuner and you know how the engine behaves when it is too rich or too lean. Only the old-school carb guys can tune by ear like that. And that too not with excellent results.
Old 11th July 2007, 02:01   #10
BHPian

ananth isn't this what you mentioned during the meet?
Old 11th July 2007, 08:44   #11

Hi All,

@ananth - why biased toward TPS? I understand you can create some very aggressive maps based on TPS, however, doesnt MAP make your life easier?

as regards Suzi and bike engines, im sure that thee will be some form of either crank / cam sensor, even if it is not the 32-1 wheel type - which is, incidentally, used in the Ford EDIS.

MS2 gives a lot of freedom to choose what sensors you need.

~M
Old 11th July 2007, 08:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

yes absolutely. same thing.
Old 14th July 2007, 10:25   #13

Hi all,

i cant believe the Indian postal system and the customs department. my kit reached India (Mumbai) on the 7th and i still havent recieved the kit yet!!!

I have had to make 3 trips to the customs office till now and that moron there wanted to charge me 168% duty!!! after explaining to him what it was and he prompty failing to understand, we settled on 400 bux + change duty and 1200 bux tips (read bribe)...

I am still waiting on it... will keep you guys posted.
Old 14th July 2007, 19:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhunm View Post
Hi All,

@ananth - why biased toward TPS? I understand you can create some very aggressive maps based on TPS, however, doesnt MAP make your life easier?

as regards Suzi and bike engines, im sure that thee will be some form of either crank / cam sensor, even if it is not the 32-1 wheel type - which is, incidentally, used in the Ford EDIS.

MS2 gives a lot of freedom to choose what sensors you need.

~M
You need both MAP & TPS to make things work. How will MS know how much the throttle is open without a TPS?

You're right, in a carbed multi cyl bike engine you can get the tach signal (only thing needed for fuel only control) off of the CDI unit.

BTW how much did it cost you for the kit? What is included - stim, relay board, O2 datalogger?
Old 17th July 2007, 11:30   #15

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!

Hi all,

i FINALLY fot the kit in hand. and as promised, i eanted to include some pics out of box... but then am kinda lost. can any one help me please?

Quote:
BTW how much did it cost you for the kit? What is included - stim, relay board, O2 datalogger?
I ordered the ECU itself, ther stim and relay board. i shall be ordering the WB O2 sensor shortly... ir after i pay my credit card out... whichever is early.

it cost me $489.90 for the parts, Rs 1200 for bribe to customs official, and Rs. 471 as customs duty.

i know this is on the higher side, however, i think i know the loopholes now... hence will avoid them in future.

anyways, am hitting the workbench now... will keep you posted.

thanks,
Madhu.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks