Team-BHP - My Experience With adding Boric Acid in Engine oil
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   My Experience With adding Boric Acid in Engine oil (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/14280-my-experience-adding-boric-acid-engine-oil-10.html)

hi
i put 50g rams of boric powder in palio gtx gear box. it runs really smooth . silky smooth .............. ummmmmmmah!
while crusing it feels as if its in neutral !!!
then i added 125 g of powder in m800 engine.
the avrage shooted up by 4 kmpl!!!
but the oil pressure warning indicator stopped working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
as it is a november 86 engine am pushing it with lpg tank and 13 inches alloys +165 falcons in the rear and 145 in front> still getting 18 kmpl!!!!!
thanks fine tuning .
i have completed 5000 kms on boric powder + mobil 1 which is used in my palio for 10000 kms already.
so used mobil 1 +boric acid powder +5000kms .... still going great
16 kmpl in ac
ha ha ah ah
:Cheering:

Hi TURBOSAM,

Since you completed 5000 Km with this treatment its advisable to replace only oil filter as most of debris will, be collected here.Also if you find oil too much black then can replace it with new oil filter.Removal of old carbon layers from cylinders restores original compression.This can be felt with improvement in running charecteristic of car.

As this is one time metal treatment there is no need to repeat this.Until engine is opened boron particles will stick to inside parts of engine.

My Esteem has completed 17000Km with this treatments.

Recently I travelled 2000Km with family towards Gujarat in just Rs 3000 as the cost of Fuel(LPG) resulting into Rs 1.5 per Km with 4 persons and with 80% a/c.

Enjoy....

Hi,

Here is a link and article on boric acid as a lubricant.

5/00 m.e. marketplace: tech focus, pt. 2

However, the following statement from the article makes me to think, whether the boric acid will act as lubricant only when ICE compartment temp below 250 degreeC?

"Boric acid dissolved in water can be sprayed on a surface. After the water evaporates, a thin layer of boric acid film remains, bonded to the oxidized layer. After the forming operation, the boric acid can be washed away with water, and even recycled, said Erdemir. He expects boric acid to remain lubricious in temperatures up to 200 or 250°C."

regards,
-manju

Hi manju,

Boric acid as solid particles has certain temperature restriction but when it becomes boric oxide in the presence of temp. and pressure inside engine cylinder its different.This oxide layer is very hard & resistive to high temp. and pressure & corrosion.This is the wonderful ability of this particles making it so suitable for engines.This oxide layes is is so hard infact much harder then metal beneath it making it an excellent protective layer.

I wanna try this out now.. Just one question i dont service my car myself :p so how should i go about it ????

Boron additive has been used by Cheveron in their Delo range of gear oils, it proven to be a far better alternative than sulphur based corrosive EP additives, trannies that have soft metal sync rings benefit hugely from this oil, it gives you GL-5 and beyond protection minus the EP damage. Sadly Cheveron India doesn't see the logic of bringing this oil to India.

Hi abhibh,

In your Maruti 800 you can add 100gm pure powder blending it with at least 300 ml engine oil that you are using.You need to use any kind of mixture/blender so that powder mixes well.Then need to filter it with cotton cloth to make sure only fine particles are in oil.You can add this directly into engine oil.If your car has covered more then 60,000Km then carbon accumulation will be high.Within few hours of running carbon layers will start getting piled off.So we need to replace oil filter for safety reason after 100 Km so that carbons gets removed.No need to change oil.You can change oil after 2000Km or more depending upon condition of oil.Normally after using such additive oil becomes dark.

Enjoy...

how can it be added in the gearbox ?

Very simple Swathyd. Take a blender and pour half of gear oil that is required in your gearbox. add the requisite amount of boric powder in one teaspoon measurements while the blender is running. When you have completely added the powder, run the blender for 10 minutes.

Now mix this boroil shake with the rest of the oil and pour in the gearbox. After filling the gearbox, take the vehicle out for a spin for about 10 kms. And that's it..

Better still is if you can immediately go for a very very long drive. After you come back while the sytem is till hot, drain the gearbox and fill with fresh oil minus the powder. Happy gearing..

Quote:

Originally Posted by swathyd (Post 458767)
how can it be added in the gearbox ?

Sorry to spoil the party, but I remember reading somwhere that if Zinc and Phosohorous levels in the oil is less than 0.10%, Boron will not have much good effect, unless used in larger quantities, which will ruin filters.
Since API recommended that API-CJ4(Latest diesel) and API-SM(Latest petrol) oils have much lower levels of Zinc and Phosphorous, all you may be doing is waste.
One option is to fill in API-SL or lower standard cheap motor oil to reap benefits of Boron, but API SL oil contains enough boron already.
Boron may be a lubricant, but you will need to change your oil filters more often.

There is nothing like waste in case of adding boron.....even if oil contains lubricant like phosphorous and zinc they themselves deteriorate with chemical reactions....boron is inert solid lubricant which sticks to metals....its always beneficial and it retains its property in tough conditions....not to forget its excellent friction reduction ability......I think in strict emission norms this plays a very important role apart from lubricating benefits....

@finetuning, I am not questioning boron's properties. All I am saying is that API laid down standards, and if you compare API-SJ to API-SM oils you will see that the amount of Zn, P and B has been significantly lowered. Reasons could have been emissions, but it means to give same lubrications the manufacturers must be using different things now.

Agreed tsk but my point is that even if manufacturer are adding something against zinc & sulfer even then adding boron to that makes so much difference....there is no biodegradable lubricant right now available which can perform consistantly.......so I think in future most manufacturer has to adopt this method in any manner till new such wonderful friction reducing technology is discoverd.....also adding nanosized boron is most beneficial but is out of reach of we people...

Today's oil, specially the HDEO have excellent base stocks which are shear stable as well as formidable additive package so zinc etc. is no longer necessary, however, one of the favorites of oil treatment, the STP oil treatment has good amount of zinc and is still an allowed additive by the EPA, for long drives in Rajasthan heat, I add it to my crankcase as an extra protection along with Delo 400 or Delvac MX.

Gurkha, the delo 400 has 3600+ detergent content compared to castrol GTX, so I think oil drain interval will be less with delo?
If I flush before filling will it help in keeping the drain interval long?
I am scared of seals going kaput because suddenly you have so much detergent flowing in!