Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2006, 21:29   #1
BHPian

Filled Diesel instead of petrol by mistake!?

I remember seeing a thread on this, not able to find it. Can someone point me to it.

Problem : Diesel used instead of petrol in a Palio 1.6 and driven for about 10KM. The car does not start now.
Is it enough to empty the tank, and clean the spark plugs?

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 16th June 2006, 22:05   #2
BHPian

First thing you go to FIAT people. They will recommend the best options for your car. What about the diesel which is still there in the fuel lines.

In the first place how did diesel find its way into a petrol car. Didnt you notice this at the time of re-fueling???

az
Old 16th June 2006, 23:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

similar thing happened in my town. Driver takes teh Grand Vitara to pump. Feeds diesel. But somehow it wont start or so. Now, he calls owner. Suzuki guys drive down and clean tank. Lucky chap.

Call your Fiat dealer! Hope you didnt damage anything.
Old 17th June 2006, 10:29   #4
Team-BHP Support

If it was not much dielsel, you should have filled the tank up with petrol and driven on till quarter tank was over and kept topping up + adding lots of additive/ injector cleaner.

You probably need to clean out injectors
Old 17th June 2006, 10:39   #5
BHPian

same experience with my car(fiesta 1.6) while i was in udupi adulterated fuel (petrol+diesel) the car would stall every now and then at the next fill up added acetone(to every litre of petrol add 2.5ml of acetone) the car is running just fine
Old 17th June 2006, 15:44   #6
BHPian

Talked to Manipal motors : They first made me wait. Then they said that the helpline would not be able to help as they were busy till evening.
They also said that they only do minor repairs and service for fiat and fiat owners typically need atleast 15 days advance booking.
NEVER EXPECTED THIS AS AN ANSWER!!

No option fos us !!
we towed the car to a local workshop (Sri Sai Garage) next to Brooke Fields, he emptied the tank and cleaned the injection and spark plugs. It is up and running now.

Lessons learnt :
- Always get out of the car while filling fuel (especially on the city outskirts, where there are small gas stations). Stick to a few good ones.
- The injection and fuel transmission is a little sophisticated in new cars, better to get it cleaned at a decent workshop, even if you pay a little more on towing charges.

This is something my brother will remember i suppose!!!

Thanks for your inputs!

PS : Where will you get acetone on the highway?
-Neel
Old 17th June 2006, 16:44   #7
BHPian

seems like you missed the Acetone Thread...Acetone is available commercially anywhere in the highway or villages or pit stop...Just ask for Nail Polish Remover - That is acetone..! Oh yes..You can try Lakme Nail Polish remover- comes with added vitamens-good for engine.. ..Just kidding ..Add any nail polish remover in the 2.5 ml/ Ltr of Petrol Ratio.

Industry Strength Acetone is available at good chemical or Hardware shops- Its used to clean Glass and Optical shops also can sell you a bottle.

regards
Old 17th June 2006, 17:23   #8
BHPian

you can go to TATA service center.. they will do the job better then Fiat itself...
Old 17th June 2006, 17:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Something quite the opposite happened with our Fiat Siena TD60 Diesel.
We went to our regular HP petrolpump and he guy mistook our Diesel Siena for a Petrol one (the car was incredibly refined for a petrolpump fellow to think it was a petrol) and he filled up around 5 lts of Petrol when our driver noticed it and brought it to their attention. So they spent the next couple of hours cleaning the tank and they filled it up with diesel for free.(sadly the fuel prices were not as high as they are now otherwise we would have saved thousands.)
Old 17th June 2006, 18:15   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
k our Diesel Siena for a Petrol one (the car was incredibly refined for a petrolpump fellow to think it was a petrol) and he filled up around 5 lts of Petrol when our driver noticed it and brought it to their attention.
If this was a CRDi engine, it would have been curtains if you had started it. The fine tolerances meant that neat petrol would have hampered the lubricity causing instant wear of the injection pump. Metal particles + high pressue = mayhem

IF THIS HAPPENS ON A CRDi - DO NOT START THE CAR. TOW IT
Old 17th June 2006, 18:24   #11
BHPian

Yes, Diesel in petrol cars may cause less damage when compared to Pertol in diesel cars.
Old 18th June 2006, 00:49   #12
BHPian

Firstly Neel, good that the problem is solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
So they spent the next couple of hours cleaning the tank and they filled it up with diesel for free.(sadly the fuel prices were not as high as they are now otherwise we would have saved thousands.)
Hey Lambor, which petrol pump was this? Just wanted to know

az
Old 18th June 2006, 10:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Neel]Talked to Manipal motors : They first made me wait. Then they said that the helpline would not be able to help as they were busy till evening.
They also said that they only do minor repairs and service for fiat and fiat owners typically need atleast 15 days advance booking.
NEVER EXPECTED THIS AS AN ANSWER!!

Hey Neel i think you have never heared of the varunroy story. he braught a sumo from manipal motors and got a similar kind of responce from there when he had a problem, I was under the impression that things will improve for fiat as tata is doing marketing and after sales for fiat in india but things are going verymuch the same way. I dont know how can some service station make such a bold and ignorant statement that if we have a problem with our car we need to book 15 days in advance for a checkup.

Are these people running a service station or a multi speciality Hospital.
Old 18th June 2006, 23:38   #14
BHPian

[quote=pramodkumar

Are these people running a service station or a multi speciality Hospital.[/quote]

Or are they just potraying how busy they are
I remember waiting at a FIAT dealership at Lower Parel just to get my front door speaker replaced which was under warranty from the company itself. What should have taken not more than 30 mins, they made me wait for two and a half hours. This was in 2001 when I used to have a Uno 1.2 ELX.

Cheers! (to the FIAT guys.........hahaha)

az
Old 19th June 2006, 00:29   #15
Team-BHP Support

Don't worry, diesel in petrol is okay, just drain and fill petrol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks