Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2021, 19:07   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about Car Waxes & Sealants

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Red paint looks awesome after all these years. Have you been regularly applying sealant/wax?

Is the Turtle Wax 53409 really a sealant? Does spray sealants last long? How is your experience with the above mentioned combo? Does a single bottle 53409 last for 2 immediate coats on say a sedan? Which other sealant-wax combo do you suggest for a glossy wet look on white paint? How is Collinite 845 compared to the above Sonax?
Thanks! Not sure if I am qualified to answer these questions but I will try.

I haven't been regularly applying wax after washing. In fact, that was the first time I had applied wax. Bu then, I would like to highlight how I have been washing my car over these years - I wash it myself. It has never been washed by anyone else, even the A.S.S. during a regular service. I will specifically tell them not to wash the car.

About the washing process - the first iteration is totally contact-less using the pressure washer. After that, I apply car shampoo (Have been using Chemical guys wash + wax combo) with a wash mitt. This is washed away by the pressure washer again, and finally, the car will be wiped dry with a clean microfibre towel, that too without applying any pressure. I guess this process is the reason why the paint is still shiny.

Spray sealants do not last long, in fact, the Turtle wax 53409 says that if you apply 2 coats, it will be good enough for just 10 months. I am yet to try the 53409. First I need to get the paint surface clayed and polished. These sprays need proper surface preparation in order to be really effective.

Finally, regarding Sonax Vs Colllinte - these items seem to be in completely different leagues looking at their prices. Sonax is a cheap, easy-to-apply wax spray, but I have found it to be a decent one in terms of the shine and hydrophobic nature it offers. Colllinte has to be much better than this variant of Sonax, by looking at its price!

Finally, one more picture after the second round of waxing which was done two days ago!

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-psx_20210608_230204.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 11th June 2021 at 19:09.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks