Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2013, 13:13   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Micro-Hybrid issues in Mahindra Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeet_s View Post

Hi Jaggu, The micro hybrid system works once in a while at its own will and the day it functions, it just works for once and that's it and sleeps forever (may I say just like our Govt!!!) Even after the sensors or the switch is changed, the damn thing works only for a day or two and then it starts to malfunction!
If this is the case, then i really doubt battery as the issue since you mentioned you were having the issue from day 1. They should ideally do a scan and run the vehicle around with scanner connected to see what is actually happening, in real time. Hope they have tried this?
Old 22nd November 2013, 13:18   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If this is the case, then i really doubt battery as the issue since you mentioned you were having the issue from day 1. They should ideally do a scan and run the vehicle around with scanner connected to see what is actually happening, in real time. Hope they have tried this?
Ah well, that's the whole story! These buggers have just been on the hit & trial until now when I got the CCM Delhi intervening in the matter. He has clearly mandated the dealership that if the battery change does not solve the issue, then they need to fix the issue immediately for which Mahindra s willing to provide the technical support..........OEM providing technical support to the dealership/ customer is in itself a big point of contention for the dealership! I'm now waiting for a call from the GM of Koncept Motors though he had to call me in 5 mins and now it has been 30 mins passed already, am sure, now he would be asking the right questions to his technicians and people since, he has to take the ownership of the matter and the diagnosis (battery issue) as provided by his team...............
Old 22nd November 2013, 15:20   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

GUys, does anyone have any documentation about the system that Mahindra uses ? From the high-level discussion I had with some Bosch folks, the Mahindra system is only a start-stop mechanism, and there is no generation /re-generation of electricity during deceleration. The word Micro-Hybrid is misleading - unless someone can show documentation otherwise.

The good thing in the set up is that it comes from the factory, integrated as part of the vehicle - and not as an add-on / after market.
Old 22nd November 2013, 17:18   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
GUys, does anyone have any documentation about the system that Mahindra uses ? From the high-level discussion I had with some Bosch folks, the Mahindra system is only a start-stop mechanism, and there is no generation /re-generation of electricity during deceleration. The word Micro-Hybrid is misleading - unless someone can show documentation otherwise.
Why you need documentation when it is clearly written on the site itself? Its just a start stop system.

http://www.mahindrascorpio.com/mahin...echnology.aspx

Quote:
Micro Hybrid Technology
This technology enables the engine to intelligently switch into standby when not required. So while it helps conserves nature, it conserves fuel too.
Switches off the engine when the Scorpio idles for a preset duration
Switches the engine back on, the instant your leg touches the clutch pedal
Burns less fuel, thus reducing pollution and conserving the environment
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 17:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The word Micro-Hybrid is misleading - unless someone can show documentation otherwise.
Quote:
Why you need documentation when it is clearly written on the site itself? Its just a start stop system.
The micro-hybrid badge is nothing but marketing fluff. Just like Castrol Magnatec's "intelligent molecules" and Surf Excel's [or was it Tide's] "stain busters" [or something similar]

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 22nd November 2013, 17:30   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks .. that's what I thought too (for current Mahindra vehicles), until I read this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt
Hi, when coasting etc, the electric motors of the micro
hybrid turn into a generator which helps reduce the drain on the battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
The micro-hybrid badge is nothing but marketing fluff.
Agree. This one is more mis-leading than the two examples you gave .. Mahindra's MH system is actually Mimics-a-Hybrid, than a micro-hybrid.

Last edited by condor : 22nd November 2013 at 17:47.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:40   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The Scorpio's Micro Hybrid system has no such motor/generator. It's also known simply as an ESS (engine start-stop) system.
Thanks for that. Mahindra's isn't a Micro Hybrid in any sense of the term. It also switches off the A/c and that can get bothersome in extended situations.

Quote:
I just had a word with the CCM Mahindra Delhi and he has directed Koncept Motors to change the battery and let me drive the vehicle for 7 - 10 days, but before they do this, they have been directed to make 100% sure that the problem will not occur with the changed battery!
The Mahindra catalogue states that the system will be deactivated once the battery charge goes below a certain threshold, and this may happen if the start stop system has been working many times in stop/go traffic. So you probably might experience the system not working if you've been stuck for very long hours in stop-go traffic situations even with a relatively new battery and that would not be a fault of the system.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 22nd November 2013 at 20:49.
Old 23rd November 2013, 20:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
The micro-hybrid badge is nothing but marketing fluff. Just like Castrol Magnatec's "intelligent molecules" and Surf Excel's [or was it Tide's] "stain busters" [or something similar]
I call it 'Engineering by Copywriters'. Far too prevalent.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 10:54   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
I call it 'Engineering by Copywriters'. Far too prevalent.

Regards
Sutripta
Ok, here's the latest....Koncept Team changed my battery with a brand new 85Amps battery and the MH system still does not work!!! Now, they have asked me to let them have the vehicle again and they would like to involve the R&D team from Mhaindra itself to look into this matter!! Additionally, the air filter sensor has also started to malfunction!!!

I believe, this is a defective, "one off" piece of manufacturing and I have been repeatedly telling them (right from the next day of the delivery) that they must change the vehicle, but, they all are too over confident about their own workmanship!

Will post more, once I give them the vehicle and get the same back from them with all the notifications on the MH system..... Thanks once again, you all have been great in helping and supporting me which actually vested a lot of confidence in me to go and argue with the dealership.
Old 9th December 2013, 11:07   #25
BHPian

Allright folks!!! I took the vehicle to the garage and after so much of head breaking, and after 2.5 years (almost 3!!), we discovered that the floor mat supplied by the showroom was obstructing the clutch and the Micro Hybrid Switch was not functioning!!

Interestingly, this works with the new battery but, when they install my 85Amps baterry, it works intermittently!! Don't know what to say about this now!

Well, all I can say in the end is, NEVER BUY ANY INDIAN MAKE SUV....THEY ARE NOTHING BUT A PAIN IN THE "RIGHT PLACE"!!!
Old 9th December 2013, 11:26   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...the floor mat supplied by the showroom was obstructing the clutch and the Micro Hybrid Switch was not functioning!!

...NEVER BUY ANY INDIAN MAKE SUV....THEY ARE NOTHING BUT A PAIN IN THE "RIGHT PLACE"!!!
Quote:
...I wonder if...
  • you are using an additional floor mat, which prevents complete travel of the clutch pedal (make sure only the carpet is present between the clutch pedal and floor)
Isn't that quite a nasty comment to make, considering that you'd been told about what to avoid? You still put in extra foot mats to jam up the clutch pedal, and then claim it's all the manufacturer's fault.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 12:34   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Allright folks!!! I took the vehicle to the garage and after so much of head breaking, and after 2.5 years (almost 3!!), we discovered that the floor mat supplied by the showroom was obstructing the clutch and the Micro Hybrid Switch was not functioning!!
Quote:
[/list] Isn't that quite a nasty comment to make, considering that you'd been told about what to avoid? You still put in extra foot mats to jam up the clutch pedal, and then claim it's all the manufacturer's fault.
I think owner did not do it by his own, its clearly mentioned that showroom supplied mats. He has all the right to be upset. Infact i would have kicked the dealer if they had not ruled out this issue for so long!

Very reason why i suggested to drive the vehicle around with scanner to pin point the fault.
Old 9th December 2013, 12:42   #28
BHPian

Thanks Jaggu! I had actually written a long comment on SS Traveller's comment, however, I do not somehow see it being printed on the page, unless, I may have done something wrong in posting the same! However, SS Traveller, with all the due respect, the comment or the reply to your statements were not nasty or anywhere near being one, unless, you take it otherwise!

Let me see anyone spending there Monday to Friday at work and Saturday - Sunday at the workshop and that too for a new car and the reactions from their family. I do believe in 'Kar - Seva" but certainly not 'Car - Seva'............hope you understand and appreciate the situation here! Cheers!!
Old 9th December 2013, 13:07   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...showroom supplied mats. ...i would have kicked the dealer...
Agreed it's the dealer's fault to have inserted floor mats where not advised. But the owner's manual clearly states about avoiding floor mats under the pedals, and it is the owner's responsibility to read that manual carefully.

And it is also absolutely the ASS's fault not to have pinpointed the issue quickly. But then it's overkill to blame the manufacturer as well as make a generic statement such as the OP did.
Quote:
...NEVER BUY ANY INDIAN MAKE SUV....THEY ARE NOTHING BUT A PAIN IN THE "RIGHT PLACE"!!!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 13:42   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
hope you understand and appreciate the situation here! Cheers!!
I feel its great that you brought out the real issue, and will be helpful to many in the future.

Quote:
Agreed it's the dealer's fault to have inserted floor mats where not advised. But the owner's manual clearly states about avoiding floor mats under the pedals, and it is the owner's responsibility to read that manual carefully.
Come on, its basic thing dealer should have pointed out. I don't think many owners go through line by line of manuals.

I think its pointless now arguing who said what. Owner was frustrated and let us leave it at that. It's not like M&M have a perfect track record

Let us move on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks