Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2006, 14:25   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav
Guys
I've started getting a very peculiar problem with my windscreen. When I use my wipers I find a very hazy trail that is left behind by the wipers. But it disappears in two seconds and my screen is clear....any ideas or solutions I can try?
!
I have the same problem at times. This is basically due to the buildup of road grime and other chemicals on the windscreen. You need to get a good glass cleaner liquid and liberally spray it on and wipe clean with a black & white newspaper. Repeat this atleast 2 times and see if there is a difference. It worked for me.
Old 14th August 2006, 16:29   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
I have the same problem at times. This is basically due to the buildup of road grime and other chemicals on the windscreen.
The white lines that are left behind after the use of wiper is nothing but an "ANTI OZONANT" thats added in the rubber compound used for the wiper. Its Paraffin Wax to be precise. Thats why the whitish residue.

And the reason it leaves out these white lines could be excess of Paraffin Wax in the rubber compound. And yes its a good thing to use wash and wipe your windscreen as RTech explained.
Old 14th August 2006, 16:45   #48
BHPian

Thanks for that tip... I've a question... Rtech mentions that it is road grime and chemicals on the windscreen, but nc you mention that it is excess paraffin wax in the wiper rubber blades. So would washing the windscreen with some good glass cleaner solve the problem or do I need some other treatment for the wiper blades also?

And can you guys recommend any good glass cleaner?
Old 14th August 2006, 17:20   #49
Senior - BHPian

Madhav ,

There is bound to be road grime, chemicals , oil etc on the windscreen too. But if there is grime you will be able to see it and oil and chemicals turn into different shades of color the moment they come in contact with water.

The white residue is wax . I dont much about glass cleaners - I do it the "Old School" way - scrub some detergent with bare hands on the windscreen and wash with water after a while , wipe dry with newspapers that have Black and White photos, articles only. I also have good amount of detergent in the windshield watertank.
Old 15th August 2006, 22:23   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
you could use your a/c set it to a minimum and turn the vents towards the roof.. this will definitely eliminate the mist inside..This mist inside traditionally happens in cars with bad HVAC systems..
Sorry Guys..... whats HVAC !?
Old 16th August 2006, 21:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

I think its Heat Ventilation Air Conditioning.
Old 27th July 2007, 11:42   #52
Senior - BHPian

same problem here

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
Guys
I've started getting a very peculiar problem with my windscreen. When I use my wipers I find a very hazy trail that is left behind by the wipers. But it disappears in two seconds and my screen is clear. This is ok when it is drizzling, but in heavy rain the wipers are working constantly so there is always a hazy cover on my screen. !
madhav and Rtech, I have the same problem here, (hazy trail behind wipers). cleaned windshield with pure alcohol, water and newspaper, nothing worked. I think it has to do with some of my silicone licquid cleaner getting onto my windshield. there are also smears/ streaks on the glass which can best be seen when wiping with a damp cloth. would the toothpaste trick work??
Old 28th July 2007, 09:26   #53
Senior - BHPian

Yeah toothpaste does work to a certain extent.
Old 7th August 2007, 09:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

I tried the toothpaste thing. works wonders. the stubborn streaks have gone. I am sure it was the silicone polish which had got on to the glass. Thanks.
Old 8th August 2007, 16:53   #55
BHPian

Not sure why people applying soap/detergent/ tooth paste/ tobacco etc on wind shield if the wind shield is clean (I use few drops of car shampoo in the wind shield washer tank) a good wiper on high speed is sufficient to help you see through even the worst rain. At night the story is different if its raining like few times I faced you will need a submarine to reach your destination! Note that I also drive through one of the most monsoon affected state of the country-Kerala.

As Rudra said, keep your wiper blade in good condition- thats it, you don't have to search for the detergent sachets or tambaku (or whatever it is!) They are best for the purpose they made for!
Old 8th August 2007, 17:56   #56
Senior - BHPian

Try wiping your windscreen with 1 part white vinegar mixed in 3 parts water before you venture out and your haze problems due to monsoon or cold will disappear.
Old 9th August 2007, 04:04   #57
BHPian

'wuerth' has this amazing product.
spray it on all glass surfaces:windscreen F and R, side mirrors and side windows and just watch water slip off the surface.
no fogging/misting whatsoever.in a light drizzle it makes the wipers look uselessly silly.
one would need 2 cans per rainy season.
ah, these germans!
Old 9th August 2007, 10:57   #58
Senior - BHPian

Doc, where does one get this product? it wasn't available in Khan market; rather they had not heard of this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
'wuerth' has this amazing product.
spray it on all glass surfaces:windscreen F and R, side mirrors and side windows and just watch water slip off the surface.
no fogging/misting whatsoever.in a light drizzle it makes the wipers look uselessly silly.
one would need 2 cans per rainy season.
ah, these germans!
Old 10th August 2007, 22:58   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hey Doc how much does one can cost?
Old 13th August 2007, 17:34   #60
BHPian

@gd and busa:
sorry guys missed out on this thread.
the can costs 2000 rupees.it is applied on all glass surfaces.
they guarantee 6 months of no issues visibility.
will get the contact address and post it here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks