Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2013, 13:27   #1
BHPian

Sound when the clutch pedal is pressed?

Hello Everyone,

I need some urgent advice.. I have been in bangalore for the past 6 months for work, and hence brought my Xeta along.. Recently discovered a certain sound coming while you press the clutch ( Although the sound is negligible) ... Upon a query with a few garage guys, got to know that, the bearing associated with the clutch plate might be gone.. They also said, they might have to change the clutch plate itself..

My xeta has done about 56K as on today..I have not asked the Tata guys so far, but from my previous experience, its quite evident that they would over charge me for the whole thing, like they always do.. :(

The problem at this point is that i need to travel to Pune early next week.. My friend's cousin own's a garage in Pune, and made a suggestion to get the work done with him there.. And that there's no issue traveling..

Would be helpful if anyone of you can share your views on it.. I much rather would trust someone i know, and let him handle the car while in Pune..

I would really appreciate that..

Thanks

Devyaani...
Old 19th December 2013, 17:25   #2
BHPian

re: Sound when the clutch pedal is pressed?

That's the clutch release bearing causing the noise (happens when the clutch is pressed and goes away on releasing).

The noise is not serious but it can be annoying in city traffic. It will not lead to a breakdown and it should be ok to drive to Pune of the car is healthy otherwise.
CrackedHead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 18:24   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devyaaniverma View Post
Hello Everyone,

I need some urgent advice.. I have been in bangalore for the past 6 months for work, and hence brought my Xeta along..
=========
I would really appreciate that..

Thanks

Devyaani...
Like CrackedHead mentioned, if its minor sound while depressing clutch you can ignore it for now. Only if it is a loud grinding then you need to attend. Hope otherwise the clutch is working fine?

If and when you are opening up the transmission, its a good idea to replace the plate/pressure plate etc since your car already has done 56k kms and opening it up again in another 10-20k kms is really not worth the effort.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 18:58   #4
BHPian

Hi,

CrackedHead, Jaggu,

Thanks a ton for your response.. And you are right, the sound comes while the clutch is being pressed..The rest of it seems fine.. I have not had an issue.. I was also told that the pick up of the car might take a beating..Not that i have observed something like that, but can it happen too ??
Old 19th December 2013, 19:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

If it is a hydraulic clutch, better check for any fluid leakage since if the master or slave cylinder has a leak and finally gives up at a certain point then you will be stranded.

If it is a cable clutch and the clutch cable has not been replaced till date then its better you get the cable changed immediately and do the overhaul at your preferred place.

A worn out clutch may hamper pickup and mileage, but if you have a worn out clutch cable or a leaking cylinder, you will suffer a breakdown.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2013, 19:01   #6
BHPian

Re: Sound when the clutch pedal is pressed?

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I am starting on Tuesday. So fingers crossed about the car. Shall keep this discussion updated.

Devyaani.
Old 22nd December 2013, 20:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Some general tips:

Before starting, give your car a look-over and top up any fluids such as the brake oil (which may be shared with the clutch), battery water, coolant and so on. You may want to carry a can of brake oil with you if the clutch is hydraulic and the fluid levels are low.

Also identify the petrol pumps and major cities along the route in case you need any assistance. Bangalore - Pune is a fairly busy route and you should find assistance from Tata Motors workshops en route. If these are not available, make sure you carry a map with the major company owned and operated petrol pumps along the route (Google Maps may help).

Also it would be better if you travel with someone riding shotgun - in case of emergencies two is better than one. And please let your relatives and close friends know of your travel itinerary, route plan and timings. Keep in touch with them online or through calls/text to keep them posted on the journey.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 11:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Some general tips:

Before starting, give your car a look-over and top up any fluids such as the brake oil (which may be shared with the clutch), battery water, coolant and so on.
==============Keep in touch with them online or through calls/text to keep them posted on the journey.

Hi,

Thanks once again for the wonderful tips. I checked the brake oil levels, seems fine. Do you think i should still carry an extra filling ? Also the coolant etc i do carry every time. I have decided to take a halt in Hubli. So as to give the car some rest too. Won't travel all the way on a single day. Iam accompanied by a friend.

Devyaani.
Old 23rd December 2013, 15:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thats the clutch realease bearing making the noise. not a big problem but the noise will jus keep getting louder.
revtech is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 16:46   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, as the members suggested, it's the clutch release bearing.
In our older car which was a Fiat 1100D, we once had this problem. There was a hissing sound whenever clutch was depressed. The mech disassembled the assembly and changed a bearing (simple one with inner & outer races with balls in between). The car had no problems with that thing except for that sound as the job was done after at least 2000-3000 kms post the problem cropped up.

You can plan your trip safely.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 20:18   #11
BHPian

Dear all,

Thought of providing an update on the situation. Reached Pune on Wednesday. Have now given the car for servicing. And here's the deal. Silencer had a major issue, needs to be replaced. Some bearings associated with the various belts were gone. Well past their life, i was told, would be replaced. The clutch seemed fine, but have told them to replace the whole thing anyway. The total cost concludes at Rs 13,000/-.

Only positive aspect was the average i got. 20Km/Ltr. Which is quite amazing considering the issues the car had.

Devyaani.
devyaaniverma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 22:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My friend's cousin own's a garage in Pune, and made a suggestion to get the work done with him there...
Quote:
The total cost concludes at Rs 13,000/-..
Quote seems quite reasonable, if it's including labour. Mind sharing the name and location of this garage?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 17th January 2014, 11:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Quote seems quite reasonable, if it's including labour. Mind sharing the name and location of this garage?

Cheers,
Vikram
Hi Vikram,

The garage is located near Katraj. The name is Silver Auto. My cousin took the car to this place, since the owner is his long time friend. You can PM me if you need further details. Would be glad to help.

Devyaani.
devyaaniverma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 12:09   #14
BHPian

Hyundi Xcent - Clutch Bearing worn out at 34700 Kms

Hi Team,

I own a Petrol Hyundai Xcent and I have had it for close to 3 years now. Since last couple of days I was hearing a creaking sound from the clutch pedal whenever it was pressed or depressed. Today, I had taken the car to a Hyundai Dealer. I have been told that the bearing which takes care of the clutch when the clutch pedal is pressed/depressed has worn out and needs a replacement. I was also told that this is not covered under warranty since it is normal wear and tear.

Now, the fact of the matter is:

1. The car is not even 3 years old.
2. It has run approximately 34,700 Kms as of today.
3. I am the only person who drives the car, apart from me no one has ever touched the car.
4. I had also bought the extended warranty which is valid till the coming August'17.
5. All the services have been carried out as per the schedule and at Hyundai Authorized Dealer, Pune. The last one was a paid service carried out on 18.02.2017, I ended up paying 12127.68 Rs for a routine paid service.

** It is also important to note that the car was handed over to me by the service center in the month of Feb confirming that everything was fine with the car and suddenly in the month of May'17, I am being told that the clutch bearing has gone kaput and I need to shell another 8000.00 to get this replaced.

I have already spent 17852.00 Rs on all the four services(3 Free services & 1 Paid) and apart from this I have also spent 8000 Rs on the extended warranty for this car. Few months ago, the clock spring(Steering had some noise) of the car went berserk which was replaced under warranty after number of follow ups and wasting lots of my time & energy.

I am expecting Hyundai to replace the parts under warranty/Goodwill warranty. I have sent an email to Hyundai, India and am awaiting their reply. Would like you all to provide your inputs, please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Ashish

Last edited by Engine_Roars : 21st May 2017 at 12:11.
Engine_Roars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 12:59   #15
OSH
BHPian

Re: Hyundi Xcent - Clutch Bearing worn out at 34700 Kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Since last couple of days I was hearing a creaking sound from the clutch pedal whenever it was pressed or depressed. Today, I had taken the car to a Hyundai Dealer. I have been told that the bearing which takes care of the clutch when the clutch pedal is pressed/depressed has worn out and needs a replacement.
I owned a Tata Indica Vista some time back, in it's 5th year I remember getting a creaking sound whenever the clutch was pressed/released, I took it to the service center and they found out that the spring of the clutch pedal was making the noise, some sprays of WD40 by them solved the issue. After that, just last year my 2007 Honda City also had this same creaking sound and again WD40 on the spring by the service center and noise went away.

Please be very sure that it is those worn out clutch bearings only that are making the noise and not the spring in the pedal. Just bend down in the foot-well and press the clutch with your hand, if you can hear the sound more clearly and loudly, the spring may be culprit.
OSH is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks