Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2006, 16:18   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
and if it rains you have had it.

Infact I have changed back to the original yellow buls 55/60 of the octy for the rains. Yellow helps me see much better in the rains.

I suggest - go for 90/100 bulbs in yellow shade with a cutout if you want more light. Forget all these white/blue bulbs, not worth IMO. (Ive used them extensively)
Hey thanks there. The rain is the main reason I need to upgrade my stock headlights (they are just not adequate) - and it rains cats and dogs almost every evening. At the same time I don't want to void my warranty and/or get hauled up by cops by using 90/100 bulbs (or does it not void it). I think Philips VisionPlus should help - it is yellow light, is a little brighter than stock (or so it claims), and not too expensive!

- Johy

Last edited by johy : 15th July 2006 at 16:21.
Old 16th July 2006, 14:20   #17
BHPian

Hey, i put in 90/100's on my baleno , regular yellow and they work just great
give superb visibilty in the rain
Old 25th June 2011, 14:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Upgrading stock headlights - confused

Reviving this old thread, since I have a similar query in mind.

I am running 60/55 bulbs on my Aveo. I feel the light is not sufficient on specially on highways hence planning to upgrade to 100/90 in yellow shade. Ofcourse I would be putting in relay to play in safe. Now the questions I have

1. 100/90 of yellow lighting I guess should be good?

2. Will 100/90 bulbs have any adverse affect on the battery life?

3. Will the headlight mirror (outside) get too hot after a while? Will that be normal?

4. Any extra fuses required to be safe? Or is the regular headlamp fuse enough? Does the relay have any fuses?

5. I am totally new to this so any other precautions while installing will be helpful?

6. What are the good brands of bulbs/ relay's available in market? Hella/ philips???

Thanks and regards
Old 26th June 2011, 13:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

deky, this question ideally belongs to the automotive lighting thread (you can find it by searching).

To answer your queries in a summary, you can upgrade the stock bulbs to 90/100w by adding a good relay with fuses (separate fuses for both LH and RH bulbs). Ordinarily no adverse effects on the battery or the headlight assembly/reflectors. The headlight glass may become hot after extended use, but it does not cause any problems.

Please also note that 90/100w bulbs on cars are illegal in India. You can explore Philips Xtreme Vision (or a similar product from Osram) which are 55/60w bulbs but claim to give about 80% more light.

And finally before you try changing the bulbs, please make sure your reflectors are clean and good and get the headlights aimed properly. If the reflectors are not in a good condition or if the headlights are not aimed properly, changing the bulbs won't help.
Old 26th June 2011, 13:51   #20
BHPian

If i am not mistaken Johy Wagon R must be having inbuilt fog light, it is quite powerful and useful during the rain, why don t you use it and try it on experimental basis before you plan to change the headlight. It definitely helps in driving at Highways according to my experience. Defogger also should help for better visibility during pouring rain, i believe Wagon R comes with a inbuilt defogger, i manage it with my powerful AC. Pl keep us updated on your experiment and solutions.
Old 26th June 2011, 20:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post

3. Will the headlight mirror (outside) get too hot after a while? Will that be normal?

4. Any extra fuses required to be safe? Or is the regular headlamp fuse enough? Does the relay have any fuses?

5. I am totally new to this so any other precautions while installing will be helpful?

6. What are the good brands of bulbs/ relay's available in market? Hella/ philips???
100/90 of yellow lighting is good and is in fact better than white/blue lighting as far as lighting is concerned, they are just for looks.

The headlight housing will not be affected by using 100/90 lights, and the battery life wont be affected, I think. I have been using Osram 100/90 lights in my Wagon R for 6 months now, so far so good.

Use a good relay for the lights. I have Hella relay kit for my setup.
Old 26th June 2011, 22:06   #22
BANNED

My Philips 80+ extremevision bulbs improved things, but only slightly. But I have not given up on them completely. I will now try Autopal headlamp/reflector unit first and do beam focusing at a garage before deciding on 90/100.

In any case I will install extra fog lights (Hella FF75's [warm lights not yellow] and more) for safety so the combination of Hellas with stock 55/60 and new reflectors may suffice. I dread not seeing parked trucks on highways most besides being caught in a heavy downpour.

I would still recommend 80+ extremevision bulbs for those who do not plan on upgrading to 90/100.

--Ragul
Old 26th June 2011, 22:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Using the 100/90 or 130/100 Bulbs will blacken the headlight reflectors with time. The More Wattage will dissipate more heat and hence the plastic reflector turns black due to this excess heat.

I have experienced this on our Indigo LS (May 2004) which has run 2,21,000 kms. I changed the Headlight Assembly LH and RH and refitted the Original 60/55 Bulbs in May 2008. Now 3 years have been passed (nearly 70 K Kms) and the Headlight reflectors are still in "Like New" Condition.
Old 26th June 2011, 23:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Using the 100/90 or 130/100 Bulbs will blacken the headlight reflectors with time. The More Wattage will dissipate more heat and hence the plastic reflector turns black due to this excess heat.
I hate to admit I have run 90/100 bulbs on both my cars, M800 and Santro. No damage to the reflectors.

With 90/100 bulbs you will also have to use ceramic holders instead of the stock plastic ones.
Old 26th June 2011, 23:14   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Most times, 100/90 is adequate.
Quote:
No, it will not have any adverse effects on the battery.
Quote:
It is infact car specific. I know a neighbour's aveo running on 100/90 philips ralley without any issues.
Quote:
Nops.
Quote:
Make sure your car is out of warranty, as installing a replay will affect your warranty. Also dont cut the wires, just splice it.
Quote:
Im using philips ralley 100/90. Priced around ~350. Does the job well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Using the 100/90 or 130/100 Bulbs will blacken the headlight reflectors with time.
It is highly car specific. Cannot make it a general statement.
Old 26th June 2011, 23:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reviving this old thread, since I have a similar query in mind.

I am running 60/55 bulbs on my Aveo. I feel the light is not sufficient on specially on highways hence planning to upgrade to 100/90 in yellow shade. Ofcourse I would be putting in relay to play in safe. Now the questions I have

Thanks and regards
Why don't you think about upgrading your lights with 60/55 itself? The best upgrade would be Philips Xtreme Vision and Osram Night Breaker Plus.

I have upgraded the lights in my Punto to Osram NB+ and I visibly see a 50-60% improvement over the stock.
Old 27th June 2011, 19:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

Please also note that 90/100w bulbs on cars are illegal in India. You can explore Philips Xtreme Vision (or a similar product from Osram) which are 55/60w bulbs but claim to give about 80% more light.

And finally before you try changing the bulbs, please make sure your reflectors are clean and good and get the headlights aimed properly. If the reflectors are not in a good condition or if the headlights are not aimed properly, changing the bulbs won't help.
Thank you, will have the headlights alignment checked before changing.

I did'nt know 90/100w are banned on cars? Is it true? If its illegal I will think twice before going for them!!

Thanks for the heads up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
100/90 of yellow lighting is good and is in fact better than white/blue lighting as far as lighting is concerned, they are just for looks.
Not really interested in white and blue light. I want only yellow so will stick with yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

Make sure your car is out of warranty, as installing a replay will affect your warranty. Also dont cut the wires, just splice it.
Thanks!! Yes I am waiting for the car to come out of warranty. Another 3 more months and then I will do the suitable upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Why don't you think about upgrading your lights with 60/55 itself? The best upgrade would be Philips Xtreme Vision and Osram Night Breaker Plus.

I have upgraded the lights in my Punto to Osram NB+ and I visibly see a 50-60% improvement over the stock.
Will I still need a relay?? I dont think so but thought would still ask!!

Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 22:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will I still need a relay?? I dont think so but thought would still ask!!
Thanks
No. You will not need a relay for Philips Xtreme Vision and Osram NB+. Both will be 60/55 for the H4.
Old 27th June 2011, 23:48   #29
BHPian

Friends,
I have bought a Lispart relay (From Lucas, complete with wiring) for Rs 800/- today. A pair of Philips 90W/100 bulbs costed me Rs 1030/- extra. I just traveled with the new bulbs and it gave me much better visibility over the stock bulbs. Although the light is slightly bluish white in high beam, it did not have any adverse effect on me while driving, considering the fact that there was slight drizzling rain all the while.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
Old 8th July 2011, 01:03   #30
BHPian

I have been researching the same for my Optra.

My stock bulbs are Philips HP+ (dont know the street name, this is what I found written on the lamp). The OEM spare are Halonix. Earlier, the original lamps used to be Halonix, but it seems that now GM has replaced them with Philips HP+.

Anyways, I tried the following as a replacement and for better lighting. My car is in warranty and I did not want to install any extra wiring for the relays so 100/90 was out of question. I wanted a direct replacement, so the H4 60/55s mentioned below were in contention :

0. Vision Plus and Xtreme Power have been discontinued (as per Philips distributor). Searched in Mumbai and JC Road, Bangalore, but no use!

1. Blue Vision : I found my stock lamps performing better. The Blue Vision go to a whiter shade (not Blue as the name suggests), and although the lamps themselves look brighter, the road illumination isnt that great. Visibility is poor in rains

2. Crystal Vision : Whiter lights. Same story as Blue Vision. (Yellow lights are better for night driving and for rains - the white light seems to get absorbed on dark roads)

3. Osram NB : These were bright and gave a good visibility, but are again white. Couldnt test them in the rains as the dealer allowed me to test at his outlet only.

Except for the NB, most the other White and Blue lights become nearly non-existent when the road is lit by Yellow sodium vapour lamps.

4. Philips Xtreme Vision (+100%) : These lights were the best from the lot. They give a good reach with a strong beam. The spread is also pretty good, and is definitely brighter. The beam is a good bright yellow, nearing white and has good cutting power in fog / rains. Tested this on my Mumbai Pune trip in the ghats. The lights are about 60-70% brighter with a longer throw.

Earlier, while driving above 120 at night, I used to get scared as the beams reach was not good enough, but with the XVs, I am pretty confident as the visibility is really good.

I have attached the pics of the stock lamp, the XVs and the OEM spare.

All three :
Upgrading stock headlights - confused-026headlampcomparison.jpg

The OEM, HP+ :
Upgrading stock headlights - confused-027headlampoemphilipshp.jpg

The new Xtreme Vision +100%
Upgrading stock headlights - confused-029headlampphilipsxv.jpg

As a side note, can someone tell me the brand name for the Philips HP+ lamps seen in the pic? (Xtreme Vision has XV, Vision Plus has VP, Blue Vision has BV, so HP+ is probably High Power +, but whats the brand name?)

I am also in the process of uploading an article giving the visual comparison of the stock lamps and the Xtreme Vision for which I have put the stock lamps back in. Will post it soon!
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks