Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2011, 10:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Upgrading stock headlights - confused

I would like to upgrade the headlights of my Swift VDi to 100/90. Which bulb should I use and how much would it cost?
Old 10th July 2011, 11:14   #32
BANNED

For those that do not want to upgrade to 90/100 to void warranty or legal issues, here are the alternatives.

1. Add non yellow auxiliary lights for fog conditions with wide beam spread. Something around 4300K is best. (I intend to do the same as soon as I change the front bumpers). Combined with high beam in difficult conditions, the visibility provided by spare lights might improve confidence and also provide a backup in case main headlights conk off unexpectedly.
2 Philips extremevision 100+. I currently use 80+ and I have spare bulbs so can't upgrade to these yet :(
3. Hella or AutoPal Headlamp assembly. For example AP promise 40% more light over stock Lumax etc. http://www.autopal.com/HedLamp%201.html

Careful: There are also "duplicates" branded as AutoLAL for the unsuspecting buyer.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 10th July 2011 at 11:19.
Old 10th July 2011, 12:43   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks2010 View Post
I would like to upgrade the headlights of my Swift VDi to 100/90. Which bulb should I use and how much would it cost?
sir, i would recommend you to go for philips extreme power. it increases the visibility 25-30% more. it would cost you somewhere between 900-1000 bucks. its worth paying that much money. you wont need a relay for this and there would be no issues with the headlight cluster fading or melting.
Old 10th July 2011, 22:41   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
sir, i would recommend you to go for philips extreme power. it increases the visibility 25-30% more. it would cost you somewhere between 900-1000 bucks. its worth paying that much money. you wont need a relay for this and there would be no issues with the headlight cluster fading or melting.
Xtreme Power have been officially discontinued as per the info given by The Philips distributor in Mumbai and Bangalore.

Use Xtreme Vision instead (+100%) - they cost around Rs.900 for a pair!
Old 12th July 2011, 01:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

I am using Xtreme Vision H4 55/60W from Philips (made in Germany) in my Cedia and the Night breaker H4 55/60W from Osram (also made in Germany) in my Swift Zxi and the Nightbreakers are far superior in terms of the intensity, throw and brightness of the light beam, this when the Cedia has the better electric system of the two cars.

Both makes were sourced from the local markets via the company's authorized dealers. The Osrams at Rs. 1400 were Rs. 500 more than the Philips @ 900/- but worth the difference. Just wanted to share this with all of you guys who are considering an upgrade and may have to choose between the two options.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 02:23   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Nightbreakers are far superior in terms of the intensity, throw and brightness
Is the white light of the NBs good in rains, fog and in street lighting? When I tried these, though the intensity was much more, the white light was not very effective when it came to sodium vapur street lamps (yellow)
Old 12th July 2011, 02:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

The advert says "whiter' light or 'more white than others' and it is just that. It is actually yellow but more intense or should I say more dense for the lack of a better word. EDIT I think I meant to say 'brighter'.

Excellent in fog and under the sodium vapour lamps especially the yellow ones (which unfortunately prevail in our cites) wherein the Xtremes are just a lost case on a well lit road. In the sense it does not matter whether you have them on or not which on the flip side allows one to drive on parking lights thus easing the load on the battery (sorry OT).

The NBs were pretty good in the two monsoons that my Swift (MH 06) spent here before being bundled off to NCR. I am having a harrowing time with the Cedia in the current rains especially at dusk and on speeds in excess of 80~100 on the Xpressway when it is pouring.

Last edited by khoj : 12th July 2011 at 02:34.
Old 12th July 2011, 07:02   #38
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I am using Xtreme Vision H4 55/60W from Philips (made in Germany) in my Cedia and the Night breaker H4 55/60W from Osram (also made in Germany) in my Swift Zxi and the Nightbreakers are far superior in terms of the intensity, throw and brightness of the light beam, this when the Cedia has the better electric system of the two cars.

Just wanted to share this with all of you guys who are considering an upgrade and may have to choose between the two options.
Thanks for sharing. As you know, during rains, Civic's stock headlight simply give up. I am planing to change all the six bulbs (low, high and fog). Civic needs H7 bulbs for the low and high and H11 for foglamps. Osram's website says direct replacement, relays not needed. Is it true from your experience?

Last edited by dot : 12th July 2011 at 07:12.
Old 12th July 2011, 09:45   #39
LNK
BHPian

I was initially using a Hella 100/90 with a relay. Found them pretty good, recently when I'd gone to buy a pair of aux lamps, to help in the rains, I was told that my Hellas were fake! (Apparently the bulbs need to come with a print stating "Germany", can someone confirm on this?)

Now I'm using Flosser 100/90. I find it brighter than the Hellas. Cost was Rs 600 for a pair.
Old 12th July 2011, 15:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Thanks for sharing. As you know, during rains, Civic's stock headlight simply give up. I am planing to change all the six bulbs (low, high and fog). Civic needs H7 bulbs for the low and high and H11 for foglamps. Osram's website says direct replacement, relays not needed. Is it true from your experience?
Hi dot,

As long as the wattage of the new bulbs is the same as the OE bulbs you do not need a relay. The industry standard is 55W for low beam and 60W for the High beam. Fog lamps wattage can vary from one OEM to another but you can refer to the owner's manual for that.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 10:09   #41
BHPian

OSRAM Night Braker 'Plus' is availabe now in Indian market. Cost is Rs 800 per pair of H4.

NB+ has much much longer beam than stock. Light is slightly whiter. Specifications are same as stock one.

NB+ is an improvised version of NB.
Old 13th July 2011, 12:50   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Dot, your query to whether you need a relay or not has been answered, yes you will need one if you are going high wattage, but unfortunately we dont have high wattage after market bulbs for our civics (as per my info), it is very dis-heartning firstly that the company has given such low watt bulbs and secondly none of the after manufacturers have come out with a good high wattage bulb, knowing there are so many civics on the road.

I do lot o interstate and usually night drives, Delhi Mumbai 1500 odd kms, i have spent a lot on various bulbs and HID kits, also the civic seating is low so even a on coming car which is a Santro is straight into your eyes makes it more difficult for OEM wattage bulbs, you will come down to a speed of 30-50 speed as you cant see.

if you are willing to spend do you low beam HID, I would recommend P4 4300 kelvin as it is yellowish and which comes as stock in Audi's. Skoda etc. They are not the show HID's as anything above that is good for the looks but not as a light performance, It will cost you around 9K with one year warranty, though its been 2 yrs and i had no replacement whatsoever.

My 2 cents for you, hope it helps

Cheers
The Saint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 14:28   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
OSRAM Night Braker 'Plus' is availabe now in Indian market. Cost is Rs 800 per pair of H4.

I find this surprising. The last I checked with the distributor, the NBs were available for around Rs.800 per piece (1600 per pair). Your pricing is half of that!

Please provide the vendor details. Also ensure that they are not fakes / cheap imitations!
Old 17th August 2012, 14:30   #44
BHPian

I had installed Philips Extreme vision last April. Yesterday when I was driving, first the right headlight gave away and 10kms later the left one gave away too. Looks like I got conned. Do headlight give away in just over a year? This one had relay too!
Old 17th August 2012, 15:23   #45
BHPian

hello anybody , i would like to change my toyota corolla bulbs to 90/100 , is there anyway i can do it? because availability in my home town [calicut] is next to nil .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks