Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 18:14   #1

Chevrolet Cruze: Auto Transmission Failure

Dear Friends,

This was an urgent post made since I required some urgent advise. I have a November 2010 Chevy Cruze. It has been working fine till a week ago. There was excessive revving between gears 1-2-3. The car refused to change gears easily. I called Nikhil Auto in Mumbai and asked them to check the car. Apart from the normal servicing done, they have informed me that the TCM - transmission control module has to be replaced and along with that another small part. Together it costs Rs. 95000 (Rs. 80,000+Rs. 15,000). I am in tears since I have no other option, no car and no money to pay for this kind of repair. Can the experts out here give me a solution to this problem. Has anyone faced this problem before? Is it common to have the TCM replaced in automatic transmissions? Is there any other way out of this problem? This is not even covered under insurance. Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Ashutosh
Old 7th May 2014, 20:29   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Chevrolet Cruze: Auto Transmission Failure

It is a premature failure.

1: Have they checked the transmission fluid levels?
2: What does the OBD code say?
3: Have they used the ECU of an identical Cruze to check and see whether the ECU is defective?
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 20:39   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Chevrolet Cruze: Auto Transmission Failure

Get in touch with GM directly. They need to look into the failure and see if this is manufacturing defect. They may replace it as a goodwill warranty or they may bear a part of the cost.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 21:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Get in touch with GM directly. They need to look into the failure and see if this is manufacturing defect. They may replace it as a goodwill warranty or they may bear a part of the cost.
How and where can I get in touch with them. The company was great in customer service till 3 years back, while Karl Slym was the CEO. Now I hear they have deteriorated as far as customer service goes. I would be extremely obliged if someone can give me the contact numbers and names of any people whom I can contact. Please help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It is a premature failure.

1: Have they checked the transmission fluid levels?
2: What does the OBD code say?
3: Have they used the ECU of an identical Cruze to check and see whether the ECU is defective?
I am going back to the workshop tomorrow. I was only in contact over phone with them. I shall raise these points tomorrow. Will revert with details. Thanks.

Last edited by GTO : 8th May 2014 at 13:27. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 12th May 2014, 09:26   #5
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze: Auto Transmission Failure

Hi, please do update us on the outcome of your discussion and any further findings for the reason for failure.
Old 12th May 2014, 13:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
Hi, please do update us on the outcome of your discussion and any further findings for the reason for failure.
The car is currently in anther authorised workshop. They are still testing it. They call me an give me an update everyday but they are still diagnosing. A senior person has been appointed by GM. I had got in touch with GM and they too are in the loop. Lets hope for the best.
Old 13th May 2014, 15:07   #7

The senior technician got back to me and explained the reason for failure of the TCM. he says the TCM has to be replaced and the cost is approx 80,000. plus labour and other charges the total comes to 94000. i have asked for a subsidy but that matter is in discussion right now. GM says its 6 months out of warranty and hence nothing can be done. I am still trying for a discount or something. Even insurance wont cover this part :(. Will update once everything is sorted out. Thanks.
Old 14th May 2014, 00:59   #8
BHPian

What was the reason for the Failure?
Old 14th May 2014, 04:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvtosh View Post
. GM says its 6 months out of warranty and hence nothing can be done. I am still trying for a discount or something. .
GM did the same things to me when the fuel tank pump started acting up. They were asking for 24k for the part, since our vehicle was out of warranty. After some mails to customer care, the price came down by half which was still too high. Hope this helps.
Old 14th May 2014, 09:32   #10
BHPian

I guess GM products in India are not that reliable. Rear calipers of
My 2011 cruze failed at 30k mark. Both the calipers stopped working and only front brakes were working. Fortunately I got the replaced under warranty.
Old 14th May 2014, 10:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Even my colleague's 2010 Cruze auto transmission failed couple of months back and needs replacement
Old 23rd May 2014, 21:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Even my colleague's 2010 Cruze auto transmission failed couple of months back and needs replacement
I think GM in India is need of a serious overhaul. There's a reason why GM & other American car brands have such a bad rap about quality.

With the Tavera fiasco, recalls with Sail etc, I think if they don't pull up their socks soon, they'll go bye-bye in India.

Sorry to hear about your troubles man. My heart aches for you. GM can't ethically wash their hands off from this. Transmission failures are absolutely unacceptable for such a young car in this day & age.
Old 24th May 2014, 17:26   #13
BHPian

Before we generalize that the company is not quality oriented or meant for the conditions in the country India, I am more curious to know the reason for failure of transmission.
I have personally broken the transmission of my eclipse in US and had a hard time restoring it. The primary reason for failure was due to my style of driving , being a sports car , I used to drive like crazy. unnecessarily braking to make the car go in lower gear or thrusting on acceleration to get rev (as shown in movies).

Do we know the style of driving of the individuals who have complained of transmission failure?
Old 24th May 2014, 17:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Since its a TCM, try sourcing one from an insurance salvage. You may also try finding a new TCM from a major parts shop.
Old 12th May 2015, 22:10   #15

Guys, I faced the same thing a couple of months ago and have zeroed in on the fault. It's when the stupid mechanic didn't fill enough transmission oil in the tyranny.

I'd gotten mine serviced at a local workshop (based on the recommendation from a close friend) and the guy filled 4 Ltrs. instead of the required 7. What happens in the scenario is that the lack of adequate oil leads to over heating in the transmission which eventually leads to a fried TCM.

The most interesting part of the story: the Chevy Service guys in Hyderabad were only able to identify that there wasn't enough oil and when they topped it up even they goofed up on ensuring the adequate levels (I found this out at another service center which I trust "Mazda Motors" and realized that it's not a simple drive in for the ATF change).

I did not change it(obviously with adequate ATF levels) and have been driving my car for a few months now. I get a very bad jerk between 75 & 80 Kmph, it's almost like choking the car. However, I ensure that I don't reach those levels. I am either at 65-70 or above 80 .

Definitely not the solution, I am hunting for spares and may have just found a salvaged part from a car. Will keep you guys posted on what happens next.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks