Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2014, 15:00   #1
BHPian

Gum-like smell from the air-conditioner?

Guys,

I have a Swift Dzire 2013 model. Whenever I switch on the AC after the car is parked for a couple of hours, I get a Gum-Like smell out of the AC vent. It vanishes after some moments of running, but still I haven't got it all these days. Only for the past 6 days or so I'm getting this. It is surely not the typical AC smell that we get when we turn on the AIRCON.

Is this a problem that I should be paying attention immediately? I have planned for a road trip to Alleppey next week and have almost finalised all reservations. I just wanted to make sure that this issue is not a trip killer.

Please Help!!
Old 20th June 2014, 15:14   #2
BHPian

re: Gum-like smell from the air-conditioner?

You could try using a ABRO AC deodorizer can to eliminate the smell.
http://www.abro.com/products/?product=7450

This product should be available at most accessory dealers, and you can also buy it online at a couple of site like ebay or snapdeal.
latentpotential is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 15:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Park your car at home. Open all windows, turn heater on to full hot mark. Turn blower on to highest speed. Leave the car running and heater running for 15 minutes. It should vanish.

Also clean filter as step no. 1 when you park it.
desertfox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 17:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Park your car at home. Open all windows, turn heater on to full hot mark. Turn blower on to highest speed. Leave the car running and heater running for 15 minutes. It should vanish.

Also clean filter as step no. 1 when you park it.
...and put the air flow settings on the fresh air intake for initial 10 minutes and then put it on re-circulation.

Do this process once in 15 days if you use AC very frequently or once a month if you rarely use AC.

NOTE: in the above process do not use the AC, only the blower motor fan.

Thanks shahid for the suggestion, I was writing the same process but then modified it after your post.
Parm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 12:02   #5
BHPian

Thanks so much all of you I will try it out at once
Old 22nd June 2014, 13:41   #6
BHPian

Re: Gum-like smell from the air-conditioner?

There maybe some debris stuck on your ac filter(if you have one) or something dropped from the front passenger's shoes which is the place where the ac draws in return air. If you have a good rapport with your car svc, they should be able to tackle it. Or a good outside ac techie. However, if your ac cooling is excellent and these people suggest some costly repair, be warned that you're being ripped off. This is a tiny problem but needs to have some clever attention to find out.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 19:43   #7
BHPian

Here is an extremely helpful discussion on Car AC filter cleaning, and other DIY tips. Although they pertain to Honda City, a lot of i is also applicable to other cars too.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...-albus-26.html
psp62in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 21:48   #8
BHPian

Are you sure it's not coolant smell? It happens when there is a leak in the heater mechanism, coil I suppose.
Old 30th June 2014, 13:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
...and put the air flow settings on the fresh air intake for initial 10 minutes and then put it on re-circulation.

Do this process once in 15 days if you use AC very frequently or once a month if you rarely use AC.

NOTE: in the above process do not use the AC, only the blower motor fan.

Thanks shahid for the suggestion, I was writing the same process but then modified it after your post.
You would know this is an old formula from the middle east when a lot of dust gets in to the desert going 4WD vehicles!
Old 6th July 2014, 21:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
Are you sure it's not coolant smell? It happens when there is a leak in the heater mechanism, coil I suppose.
But it disappears as soon as the ac is switched on. I noticed it happens only when the blower is on.
Old 7th July 2014, 00:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
But it disappears as soon as the ac is switched on. I noticed it happens only when the blower is on.
When the blower's on, but in what mode - fresh or recycle? If it's in the fresh mode then they may be something in your cowl area. By the way, is it tutti-frutti or spearmint?
Old 7th July 2014, 20:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Gum like smell may be from coolant leak as well. Check the two pipes going inside the dashboard and the possibility of loose clamps that hold them.

Yes the coolant does smell like chewing gum.
Old 7th July 2014, 21:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Maybe when the A/c is on, the coolant won't enter the cabin, someone who has knowledge in HVAC can confirm. That can explain why there is no smell when A/C is on. You can test once by switching on the fan and turning the temperature knob to red. If the smell gets stronger, it is definitely coolant.
nim_peter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 10:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

The coolant will circulate through the system when heater is turned off it has no role in the AC operations.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 13:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

If it were a coolant leak , it would have vanished by now - permanently. It's normally at a higher pressure than atmospheric pressure, and if there's even a tiny leak, it will evacuate.

I would think the gum like smell is due to fungal/mildew growth in the vents. Hot air will dry them out, but as the spores will remain, this will come back. Deo sprays will mask the odor, for a limited time.
The permanent solution - have the vents pressure washed from the inside, and the cabin air filter (if there's one) changed.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks