Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2015, 18:22   #31
BHPian

Re: The importance of changing CNG Filters on time

Quote:
Also he recommended doing the following. The car is a May 2012 model with 21000 kms on ODO.

-Oil & Oil filter change
- Coolant replace
-Tyre rotation& wheel alignment & balancing
-Throttle Body cleaning
-Fuel injector cleaning
-Air filter change (MGP)
-Spark plug - 1mm gap (should i change it or only clean it - Its NGK in use)
CNG Low pressure filter change
Here are my observations:
Go for the changes one by one:
Do in one go, injector cleaning, air filter, oil filter, oil and coolant change.
Get throttle body cleaned and get tyre rotation done.

Inspect the Spark Plug if it is squeaky clean, dont change it. But even if one of them looks like it needs sand paper etc. change all three.

But...
Dont go for CNG filter change if the car springs back to life. You can safely wait till 40,000 kms if everything is fine. I know the manual mentions 20,000 replacement but dont hurry. If things are ok, save the money and change it without thinking at 40,000. But if the car still appears sluggish after you have done all the above, go for the change.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by SDP : 22nd July 2017 at 07:52. Reason: Fixed broken quote
syravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 19:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalmaxout View Post
-Oil & Oil filter change
- Coolant replace
-Tyre rotation& wheel alignment & balancing
-Throttle Body cleaning
-Fuel injector cleaning
-Air filter change (MGP)
-Spark plug - 1mm gap (should i change it or only clean it - Its NGK in use)
CNG Low pressure filter change
Injector Cleaning requires an Injector Cleaning Machine else its useless. Please ask them whether they have the machine. In my opinion, outside vendors do a better job on Wheel Allignment / Balancing.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 14th September 2015, 12:47   #33

Hi Syravi,

I was searching something on CNG filters only when I found your post, thanks a lot for this.
Now could you please let me know the location of these filters?
I mean do I need to open the reducer unit for changing the high pressure filter cartridge?

I am a maintenance freak guy and I like to do all jobs by myself and don't give my car in any service station, instead I buy OE parts from Maruti OE retailer and do it.

Note: I drive a ALto K10;
Kit: Tomasetto Achille- Sequential(Italy) non factory fitted one.

I think that the filter cartridges will be common in all Italian kits(Lovato, landirenzo and tomasetto-italian one)
akmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 12:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmehta View Post
Hi Syravi,

I was searching something on CNG filters only when I found your post, thanks a lot for this.
Now could you please let me know the location of these filters?
I mean do I need to open the reducer unit for changing the high pressure filter cartridge?

I am a maintenance freak guy and I like to do all jobs by myself and don't give my car in any service station, instead I buy OE parts from Maruti OE retailer and do it.

Note: I drive a ALto K10;
Kit: Tomasetto Achille- Sequential(Italy) non factory fitted one.

I think that the filter cartridges will be common in all Italian kits(Lovato, landirenzo and tomasetto-italian one)
Hi
One of them is located outside and is simple to replace (you just need to remove the clips and change it). I think this is the low pressure filter.

The other one is I think inside the reducer (not sure) and is a very small part - like a paper filter. Why I think it is inside the reducer is because the workshop I got that changed told me it would take 3-4 hours as they would have to open the 'system' and then test it for leakages etc...

Would be best if you got it done the first time from them, watch them and do it yourself next time onwards.

But yes, performance on both occasions improved majorly on change of these filters.

All the best!
(Have sent you a query on Alto K10 CNG conversion... Please reply as soon as possible)
Old 25th September 2015, 09:54   #35

Thanks a lot for the explanation.
I had a deeper look inside the hood to see where actually the filter is?
To my surprise, there is NONE

What I can figure out with this is, aftermarket installers don't install the kits in the same manner as company fit goes.
Watched some youtube videos too regarding location of the filters and how do the look like, and I have come to a conclusion that regardless of Sequential or normal one(without CNG injectors) CNG low pass filter atleast is not present.

Gas Flow:
Filling valve> Cylinder at the rear>Pressure Guage>Reducer>Directly to the injector unit.
No filters.

I had old Alto 2005 model too with CNG(normal kit) and currently using Chevy Spark 2010(normal kit) too, none of them has it

Quote:
Originally Posted by syravi View Post

All the best!
(Have sent you a query on Alto K10 CNG conversion... Please reply as soon as possible)
No message from you brother.
It might be because I am still in Newbie category.
You can mail me your query at my personal mail id: akash.mehta0077@gmail.com or you can also get in touch with me on +919599928770, will answer you at the earliest.
Old 25th September 2015, 22:36   #36
BHPian

Very good and useful thread by arnabchak. Kudos. It's of immense value to discerning and caring motor owners with cng vehicles which is a lot of people these days. One thing which struck me about all the subsequent posts also is about the Ac filters. Especially the washing part. I think that's completely wrong because almost all Ac filters are paper filters these days. And washing paper filters of any sort completely renders their working useless. The fine fabric gets lax and as a result allows more particles in the air to pass through to the main HVAC unit freely hence negating the function of the filter. Of course you can't notice this after fitting it and cooling might be better to as the filter is as almost as good as not there. But the downside is you will ultimately have to go through that costlier Ac overhaul sooner. The plastic type filters like the ones in Mahindra Scorpio and Xylo or Tata Nano can be safely washed and blown dry before refitting. Hope this heads-up helps.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 17:43   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalmaxout View Post
Thanks a ton for your inputs Syravi. very helpful.

Getting my car serviced today. Last service was a year ago and I thought it was ok as in the last year the car has run only for some 7000 kms. Thanks to your informative thread - am getting the CNG filter changed. Got met with stares when i told them about the O ring fliter to be changed at 20000 kms - they didnt know which and said there were 2 filters - one in the engine area and other at the CNG gas cylinder. Finally gave them the part number and they realised which one - didnt have in stock and have to order them which will arrive by evening. Funny that they didn't know about this - All thanks to you, atleast I could point it out with the Parts number.

Please let me know your views
HA ha ha! They think of me as a freak too! But now they keep these filters and have started to service cars routinely! The 8-9K seems too much man, including the 3000 for the two filters. Try to switch to a Maruti Authorized Service stations for routine service like these.

Spark Plugs should be changed after 20,000 kms but if they are shiny bright and as good as new, you can go further.

Do get the engine Decarbonized after 4 years or 80,000 kms....

Good for the AC filters. They all will ask you to change it at every service because it gets dirty. You can try blowing it away with high pressure air. But if it gets dirty, take it out and wash it with Arial detergent. Dont use force, just soak it in the detergent and our water. You will get tons of dirt. Rinse with the detergent twice. Get this dried fully and never put it wet as it can damage the AC. Once dry you can fit it in the car and drive. Alss, in next service, get the AC blower cleaned after taking it out. Dust gets accumulated in it too and it jams the fan blades and spoils it. I lost the motor at 1 lac because of this neglect and had to change it.

Otherwise, all good!

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 22nd July 2017 at 09:54. Reason: Please avoid quoting full long posts. Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 18:21   #38
BHPian

Has anyone got these filters changed in aftermarket fitted CNG kit ? My civic has done approx 40k on CNG and none of these filters have been changed, I don't even know if they exist in my car. Can someone help me with the location of these filters. If I remember correctly one of them is inside the engine located before the gas enters the engine and the 2nd one near the tank.
I'm pretty sure that the 1st one doesn't exist in my car. Even when I had contacted my installer he was ignorant about it. Now I need to know if the same can be fitted ? Any one who has got them in Mumbai with aftermarket Kit?
Old 24th March 2016, 11:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

Anyone got this filter installed in their after market cng kit. Saurabh and i have the same fitter so i expect the same reply that saurabh got from the fitter.
Old 28th March 2016, 10:33   #40
BHPian

The best way to find out for cng filters in retrofitted kits is to write to the dealers who sell them not fitters. If they dont reply then I guess it will come to wrtiting a mail to the parents company at their international office. They will surely reply and let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Anyone got this filter installed in their after market cng kit. Saurabh and i have the same fitter so i expect the same reply that saurabh got from the fitter.
Please contact kit dealers as they will know if they can deliver you one in India. If they dont reply write to the companys international office. They will let you know.

Sorry for such a late reply. Logged in after a long time.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by .anshuman : 22nd July 2017 at 11:55. Reason: See note in post. Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 03:55   #41
BHPian

I have a Zen Estilo with CNG.
I am not sure how to tackle this issue. Now when the vehicle is run for about 5 kms in the start, it does well on CNG. Pickup, acceleration etc everthing is excellent. However, when I forget to keep it on petrol initially, the performance diminishes phenomenally. I feel a severe drag as though I am forcing the vehicle to function. For the last few days I was running short on petrol and ended up breaking this rule of 5 kms on petrol before switching fuel and the vehicle has become a pain to drive. During traffic jams when one has to start-stall-start-stall on first gear, the engine shuts off and it does that even when I apply sudden breaks lets say on 2nd or 3rd gear. Is this something I should be worried about or will it switch back to normalcy once I restart following the old course of ensuring that there is adequate running done on petrol before switching to CNG? One more thing...at certain CNG service stations, the filling nozzles get stuck to the plate in the vehicle into which they fill CNG and the guys at the station like wrench it out. I am worried if this will damage anything or cause any kind of leakage.
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:22   #42
s10
BHPian

Thanks syravi for the insight into the Green series of CNG cars. In fact most workshop people are foolish, they don't know much about the system.

For some background, I have SX4 green and have done 110000+ kms. Recently it started missing in CNG and started showing some power loss in petrol as well. I took it to MASS, after checking/ replacing the ignition coils, spark plus, cleaning throttle body etc.. they were not able to diagnose the problem and suggesting to replace the entire engine head[ pistons/ valves etc...]

Thankfully I bumped on your thread otherwise they were about the rip open the engine.
I went to a local mechanic[I feel he has good knowledge] for advice.
I don't know, he did some local check by inserting a blade between CAM rod and piston and told me that piston/ valves looks be alright and Maruti Authorized dealer just wants to make more money hence suggesting all this!

He is saying that both the problems are not related and then I told him what I learnt from your insightful thread :-) about never replacing the CNG low pressure filter. He told me that it might be an issue with injectors for losing power in petrol and CNG filter for missing in CNG.
Then I went to dealer to get the CNG filter but he is saying the it is not available even in Maruti stockyard I can't trust those guys so can you please help me with a question

- Is it possible to put Ertiga/Eeco/ Wagon-R low pressure filter in SX4?

I can call you if you can share your number, Thanks for you help...
Old 24th July 2016, 13:04   #43
BHPian

Hi S10

Please call Maruti owned service stations to find out if they have a cng filter for your car. When I checked even the distributor owned workshops did not have the cng filters

The other alternative is to locate a big store of MGP maruti genuine parts in your area and ring them one by one. You might get from one of these. But be sure to go to the biggest in your area. Your service station might be able to help you locate a super MGP outlet. One that keeps all spares. In delhi even though there are many such outlets I got the cng filter the second time only from one near dd motors maya puri.
Old 24th July 2016, 15:05   #44
s10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by syravi View Post
Hi S10

Please call Maruti owned service stations to find out if they have a cng filter for your car. When I checked even the distributor owned workshops did not have the cng filters

The other alternative is to locate a big store of MGP maruti genuine parts in your area and ring them one by one. You might get from one of these. But be sure to go to the biggest in your area. Your service station might be able to help you locate a super MGP outlet. One that keeps all spares. In delhi even though there are many such outlets I got the cng filter the second time only from one near dd motors maya puri.
I went to multiple and now the one[TR Sawhney motors] in Rohini is following up with Maruti. Its been 10 days, but no success so far.
In fact I went to a local mechanic for advice if I am not able to get it. He said remove the filter and connect directly which I am apprehensive about.
I don't know what to do, Is it possible to clean the current one.
I can attempt a DIY. Reading through all your posts you have also dissected it to peep inside. Can it be cleaned with a spirit or petrol?

I want to discuss it in person with you, is it possible to contact you? You can drop me an email at say2vivek@yahoo.co.in, I can call you up!
Old 24th July 2016, 17:00   #45
BHPian

BTW, did anyone realize that this another nail in the CNG coffin? (Ok, I did!). I may have done right for the environment but the fact remains that the overall bother about driving a CNG car far outweighs the simplicity of a normal petrol engined car. The economics certainly don't work in it's favour, anymore.

If anything it let's me beat the odd even rule!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks