Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2006, 16:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Boot light wiring clarification.

I have a query for all 3-box car owners/users in general and specifically for those owning/using a Baleno.

Ever since the 1st free service of my Baleno Lxi in May'05, I noticed a peculiar thing about the functioning of the boot light. Just after the 1st service, I had to go out of town for 3 days and when I came back, I found the battery dead, which was surprising considering that the car was just a month or so old. Called the service guys who came with a spare battery and after diagnosis, declared that, due to wrong wiring, the boot light was always on (even when boot was closed), which resulted in the battery going dead. Took the car to the MASS and they called me after "fixing it".

On checking, I saw that the boot light now did not come on when the boot was closed. So, as per them, probem fixed. But, then I happened to notice that even when the boot is closed, the light came up if I opened any of the 4 doors. As far as my understanding goes (and logically also), I would expect the boot light to come on only when I open the boot - not on opening the doors. I brought this to their notice, but they said it was intentional behaviour.

Went home and looked at the car manual, which says, "When you open the boot lid, the boot light comes on and remains on as long as you keep the lid open." Which is in sync with my expectation. And there is no mention in the manual of the light coming up when the doors are open.

But, however much I try to convince the guys at the MASS about this, they still do not agree and say that, the boot light is designed to come on even when a door is opened (though the boot is closed). This seems real illogical to me. Thus this thread to know how is it with other Balenos and 3-box sedans.

1. Does the boot light in your car come on only when the boot lid is opened ? Or does it come on when either the boot lid or any door is opened ?

2. If the boot light is designed to come on even when a door is opened, what is the rationale behind that design ? I mean, why would I need the boot to be lit, when it is closed ?

3. The way it is currently, it is a pain, because when I am cleaning the car insides, the door(s) would naturally be open and I know that the light is burning away. Apart from the drain on the battery and unnecessary use of the light, it is actually not helping any purpose.

Experts, looking forward to your response.
Old 24th July 2006, 16:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Did you ask MSS to test another Baleno infornt of you? The people at the service centers are not easy lot to convince.
Old 24th July 2006, 16:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
Did you ask MSS to test another Baleno infornt of you? The people at the service centers are not easy lot to convince.
Nice idea, satish. Did not strike me. Will do it soon.
Old 24th July 2006, 18:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

do u have a burgular alarm connected to the car, if so the door and boot switches might be used for that (as in common for that application) and can cause the lights to come, hood also they put the switch and connect to the alarm system causing the interior lights to switch on when bonnet is opened
Old 24th July 2006, 18:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
do u have a burgular alarm connected to the car, if so the door and boot switches might be used for that (as in common for that application) and can cause the lights to come, hood also they put the switch and connect to the alarm system causing the interior lights to switch on when bonnet is opened
No, I don't. I don't even have remote locking - just the stock central locking.

@Satish, I believe you have an Accent. Does the boot light go on when any door is opened (but boot lid itself is closed) ?
Old 24th July 2006, 19:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

it seems the guys have wrongly wired ur boot connection when u gave it for servicing, the return wire or negative wire is connected to the door switch wiring instead of the boot switch. the function of any of these switches is to give a ground when released. get the connection corrected. any good road side electricial will do it. how about putting leds in car interior for lighting. it really saves battery power, i have done them in baleno.
Old 24th July 2006, 19:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
1. Does the boot light in your car come on only when the boot lid is opened ? Or does it come on when either the boot lid or any door is opened ?
The boot light is wired to the door circuit in my Esteem. It does come on when I open a door! It is wired parallel to the cabin light... so, the cabin light comes on when I open the boot too! (Not sure whether Maruti / Suzuki intended it to be this way!)

Quote:
2. If the boot light is designed to come on even when a door is opened, what is the rationale behind that design ? I mean, why would I need the boot to be lit, when it is closed ?
"Cost Cutting" probably... it is simpler this way. How many people would actually fold down the rear seats to see whether the boot light goes off with the boot lid closed (properly) and a door open?

When I added a burglar alarm in my car, another switch was added for the bonnet in the same circuit... so now my boot light + cabin light comes on when I open any door, the boot or the bonnet!

I was thinking of re-wiring it myself, but did not because:
1. The bugular alarm has just one input for "something open" and I want the boot and bonnet wired to it.

2. The cabin light being "on" when the boot or bonnet is open is a nice warning that Maruti didn't give me.

- T u r b o C -
Old 24th July 2006, 20:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I have a query for all 3-box car owners/users in general and specifically for those owning/using a Baleno.

Ever since the 1st free service of my Baleno Lxi in May'05, I noticed a peculiar thing about the functioning of the boot light. Just after the 1st service, I had to go out of town for 3 days and when I came back, I found the battery dead, which was surprising considering that the car was just a month or so old.
Even if the boot light is on for a month your battery should not run down. Thats wrong info your Mass has given you. These's some faulty wiring done somewhere or a small short circuit which is eating into the battery power. Check it out.

So long....
Old 24th July 2006, 21:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

A new fully charged 36 amhp battery will give about 7 amperes for 5 hours or 1 ampere for 36 hours. 20w bulb consumes 1.66 amperes, so fully charged battery will run for 22 hours maximum. if your battery is aging it will last lesser
Old 24th July 2006, 22:48   #10
BHPian

hey dude....am sure your boot light is connected to the door switch circuit.....just get that checked....there`s a seperate switch in the boot to switch on the light whenever the boot is opened....
Old 25th July 2006, 10:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunroy
Even if the boot light is on for a month your battery should not run down.
Hey Varun, I am not sure what you mean there. Because, I don't think any car battery can last even 2 days with a bulb continously burning and the car not in use.
Old 25th July 2006, 12:20   #12
BHPian

try activating the switch manually with the boot open and chk with the doors also, instaed of Mass go to adealer workshop , as you can see the system in a new car and compare it to your own
Old 25th July 2006, 14:01   #13
DRC
BHPian

Yes, in most cars, all doors and all cabin lights are wired to single circuit.

Open any door including boot, all the cabin lights come up including the boot light. I have the same wiring in my petra since new. So do not panic.

That said, it is 3 bulbs of 10W running on the battery and likely that the battery would drain sooner.
Old 25th July 2006, 14:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth
try activating the switch manually with the boot open and chk with the doors also,
that's the way I checked it in my car. And the light comes on even with any of the doors open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth
instaed of Mass go to adealer workshop , as you can see the system in a new car and compare it to your own
Will do that.

BTW, how does it work in your Baleno ?
Old 25th July 2006, 14:43   #15
BHPian

In my Baleno, I recently noticed the same thing when I was shifting my home with back seat down to put long glass of dining table top. When I opened the door light went on then only I notice that whenever you open any door + hood + Boot, light will go on.

As per my thinking this is done because there must be some system to support the central locking to protect the car and since light are connected with switch which indicate whether any door or boot or hood is open. And the same switch is used to toggle the light in boot as well as cabin.

Last edited by vivek_pinkoo : 25th July 2006 at 14:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks