Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2014, 09:47   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent / Grand i10 EPS issue: Steering suddenly becomes 'loose'

If this issue has been reported by more than a couple of owners, it indeed does mean that it can crop up anytime, anywhere. This issue is highly dangerous and nothing short of a quick investigation & explanation by Hyundai is required.

I've said this in repeated posts, I somehow never liked the EPS due to its volatile nature. I rather have a stiff consistent feel all the time than the bi-polar very-light/light nature of a motor driven steering. It can never replicate the fluid consistent motion of hydraulics. It leads to over correcting, like @aaggoswami said above. A car should always be about safety. Lets keep aside the ABS and SRS for now, doesn't it all begin fundamentally with the driver having total control of the car (without the electronics interfering) when it comes to steering and pedals? Gadgetry and electric-everything have made cars the perfect nightmare. This issue is serious and I think all of you must write personal mails to Hyundai asap.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 12:51   #17
BHPian

Wow. This is an eye opener.
I drive a 2014 April Petrol Gi10 Asta(O). I have about 2200 clicks on the odo at the moment. Yes, the steering is very light compared to my earlier car's hydraulic unit. That being said I haven't faced any such issue so far. In fact, I have weaved a few times to pass slow traffic and didn't notice anything wrong. I have driven very spiritedly on a couple of occasions, suddenly I don't feel brave anymore.

What month of manufacture are your cars?
Perhaps, it is an affected batch of cars. I couldn't agree more with what 'Secretariat' has mentioned above, for Tbhp to bring it to Hyundai's notice immediately and initiate an investigation and recall asap.
I used to think the steering rattling issue in the first gen i20 was bad, this EPS issue with Xcent and Gi10 takes it to a whole new level.

EDIT: I do park with my wheels turned quite frequently.

Last edited by promit : 16th August 2014 at 12:54.
Old 16th August 2014, 23:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

Before I start up putting content in this post, please understand that I am not here to create any panic.

I am not sure if this is variable assisting force or something like that, but the assistance is certainly not linear.
Today, I was going at 40-45 kmph and was providing mild inputs on left, right, etc. for keeping the car on track and to avoid various traffic hazards which include cows, dogs, kids on bicycle, mobile phone occupied 2 and 4 wheeler road users.
The EPS provides "Y" assistance. Note that these are mild inputs. Lets say 35-40Deg. from center. The two spokes of steering wheel, when at 3 and 9 position with front wheels pointing straight ahead, do not even become vertical (i.e. 6 and 12 position) with these mild inputs. The steering inputs are also not in quick succession.

Now, I keep the speed same and finding some open space, try avoiding manhole covers on roads to drain the rain water. The steering inputs are similar in degree, but input rate increases. I.e. I am not turning the steering wheel much, but turning left and right quickly than before.
To my horror, level of assistance increases. Its "Y+(Y/2)" or even "Y+Y".

I tried this exercise multiple times over 10 kms. and same result. This variable assist is a tech or fault ? Not sure what it is, but if this happens at higher speed or even at slow speed but in dense traffic, chances are there of an accident.

Can anybody please confirm if they are facing similar situation ? I have not observed this variable assisting force in Baleno, Innova or Wagon R ( 3 cars I have driven/drive quite a bit ). In all my TD of multiple cars, driving many cars over last 8 years, none seem to have this. Not having feedback, video game disconnected feeling is one this, this sudden increase in assistance is another. Wagon R has that disconnected steering feeling, but assistance is very linear.

EDIT : My car is Grand i10 CRDi Magna, purchased in Feb 2014. Only things I have added is two speakers at front and audio system ( a very simple bare mininum ). The has seen first service and today odo reading was 2204 kms. Air pressure in tyre was checked 4 days ago and as per the specs,i.e. 33 in front, 33 in rear as the car is 98% of the time driven with me being the only occupant.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 16th August 2014 at 23:26.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 09:56   #19
RSR
Senior - BHPian

This is a serious issue, and can result in very unpleasant things or God forbid, even worse.

From the feedback of members here, it looks like some cars are affected by this and others aren't. This seems to be a classic case of a faulty/defective batch of parts affecting cars manufactured in a particular period.

I request members to share the date/month of manufacture of their cars in this thread if they are experiencing this problem. It would help in easier identification of the faulty batch, and more importantly, would warn members who have a car manufactured during that period.

Hyundai must take note of this immediately, investigate the cause quickly, and issue a recall.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 11:40   #20
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai Xcent / Grand i10 EPS issue: Steering suddenly becomes 'loose'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
This is a serious issue, and can result in very unpleasant things or God forbid, even worse.

From the feedback of members here, it looks like some cars are affected by this and others aren't. This seems to be a classic case of a faulty/defective batch of parts affecting cars manufactured in a particular period.

I request members to share the date/month of manufacture of their cars in this thread if they are experiencing this problem. It would help in easier identification of the faulty batch, and more importantly, would warn members who have a car manufactured during that period.

Hyundai must take note of this immediately, investigate the cause quickly, and issue a recall.
While we can try to identify the batch incase of Grand i10, Xcent is just a new product in the market. We cannot classify based on the month of manufacture.

And, from the above post by our BHP'ian aaggoswamy, I feel it's a design issue. Will check out the same way he described the issue next time I get to drive the car, in September second week only though. May be other members can give it a try as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th August 2014 at 11:42.
Old 19th August 2014, 12:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

My Xcent is April 2014 manufactured.

When i test drove the Xcent and Grand TD vehicles, both the diesel and petrol - the steering felt very very light, even at higher speeds.

However, my own Xcent's steering is very well weighed, and even at parking speeds its not something you can turn with one finger. I would rate it slightly heavier compared it to WagonR k10 and very heavier than the WagonR F10D but lighter than the hydraulic unit of Chevrolet Spark.

The only issue so to speak of with the steering is that the Steering height adjust lever does not "click" into a position. You just move it up but it never "clicks" to a position - although it stays there firmly.

Is it possible that later manufactured Xcent's/Grands have the steering issue corrected? Touchwood, i have never experienced what members have mentioned here. But my car has just run under 1500kms so far.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th August 2014 at 18:54. Reason: Spellcheck
Old 20th August 2014, 11:38   #22
BANNED

Well, no such steering issues in the 2500Km's i have covered with my Gi10 (D), but am not at all happy with the brakes at slow speeds. They grab even with slightest of pressure put on them. It feels scary in city traffic and i fear, someday i might get hit from behind. Overall, not a very thought fully made car. My punto was much better if i forget the quality part. Sorry for going a bit OT.
Old 20th August 2014, 13:00   #23
BHPian

I have a Grand i10 Petrol Sep 2013 make which has clocked almost 9K Kms so far. Not observed this steering issue so far.
Old 20th August 2014, 13:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

To all those who are saying they have experienced no such issues: have you tried replicating what aaggoswami has mentioned in his post?

Unless one proves consistency, Hyundai will never take action.
Old 20th August 2014, 14:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
To all those who are saying they have experienced no such issues: have you tried replicating what aaggoswami has mentioned in his post?

Unless one proves consistency, Hyundai will never take action.
I understand your concern, but why should i try something that is outside the scope of my day to day driving. I drive in city, highway and tight spots. Park in tight spots, take numerous U-turns, go up and down a ramp, but still haven't found the issue. Why should I try something out of the box to produce the issue - something which i never or ever will encounter in my daily driving?
Old 20th August 2014, 14:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I understand your concern, but why should i try something that is outside the scope of my day to day driving. I drive in city, highway and tight spots. Park in tight spots, take numerous U-turns, go up and down a ramp, but still haven't found the issue. Why should I try something out of the box to produce the issue - something which i never or ever will encounter in my daily driving?
Perhaps the roads in Bangalore are like German autobahns, but for all the other cities and villages in India, Aago's maneuvers are quite normal and regular.
He hasn't written about anything exquisite but something which is very down to earth: "... try avoiding manhole covers on roads to drain the rain water. The steering inputs are similar in degree, but input rate increases. I.e. I am not turning the steering wheel much, but turning left and right quickly than before"

Also I can't believe that you are not willing to test a vehicle for scenarios which can potentially lead to a horrible accident even if it happens once in a life time! (Besides, as I have made it amply clear, avoiding manholes, pebbles, rocks, divider blocks, litterings, two wheelers etc on the road is not something that is once in a lifetime event)
alpha1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 15:41   #27
BANNED

I posted my above comment after reproducing the scenario as aggoswami mentioned. The steering was behaving normally, no sign of extra lightness. My car is april-2014 batch.
chaudh2s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 20:55   #28
BHPian

So I don't own any Hyundai car but kind I faced the over sensitive steering issue in my Honda City just yesterday. The steering was excellent untill I topped air in my tyre. The went to my usual petrol pump to fill air and filled the same psi. But fr some reason all my tyres showed less than 25 psi. So ended up filling more air. After taking my car on the road I realized that the ride is hard. So presumed that the air filling device would not have been caliberated and hence the hard ride because of higher tyre pressure. Since then my steering has become over sensitive and needs steering corrections more often. It was then that I realized. Maybe over inflated tyres cause extra sensitive steering issues and maybe this is what is causing the issue mentioned here. I might not be right but worth a try. I am yet to test after reducing my tyre pressure
Old 20th August 2014, 22:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Looks more like a software glitch than a hardware one. An update of the software with algorithms for power steering rectified can fix this.

For those of you who do not like the ultra light steering of the I10, I can help you a little much in this matter.

When you get a wheel alignment done, Ask them to dial 1mm or 0.10degrees of toe in. Will increase the steering effort by a bit, will have great straight line stability, turn in's wont have a light steering like before, but u ll lose out a bit on acceleration and top speed, do it only if you are okay with thaT.
humyum is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 18:23   #30
BHPian

Well reading this thread has made me really scared. I am a newbie driver and I don't have enough confidence to high-speed during my day to day driving and I do keep a steady hand and avoid sharp maneuvering all the time. Thankfully I have not faced any issue so far. But this problem could crop in any time and you never know when things go haywire. Thanks to everyone for bringing this to light. I will keep an close eye and will report if anything crops up.

BTW. My car is Grand Asta Petrol. Manufactured in March 2014 and currently I have clocked a little over 1500KMs. So, far it appears to be a problem mostly for the April 2014 batch of cars as reported by the affected members. I sincerely pray all of you who have faced the problem so far have a safe drive and the problem does not reappear. Stay safe and drive safely guys. Do keep us posted if any solution is found on this.

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by g_saunak : 3rd September 2014 at 18:24.
g_saunak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed