Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2014, 18:37   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent / Grand i10 EPS issue: Steering suddenly becomes 'loose'

This is a serious and real issue. I had exactly same thing happened in my Getz 2 years back. At the start of a signal I lost the steering totally and got scared as to what happened and why I am not able to steer the car. In the panic, somehow I got my ignition stopped and when I restarted it was OK. Same thing happened again another day at another traffic maneuver and I knew what I had to do. When I told this to HASS, obviously they ignored it as there was no way I could reproduce the incident. They even said mockingly that may be I was listening to music and my mind was not on steering.
Whatever, I guess hyundai should atleast take note of these incidents and test it out thoroughly. At higher speeds, this can kill people.
Old 16th September 2014, 01:37   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Can anybody please confirm if they are facing similar situation ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
To all those who are saying they have experienced no such issues: have you tried replicating what aaggoswami has mentioned in his post?

Unless one proves consistency, Hyundai will never take action.
Tried this scenario in our Xcent, but couldn't reproduce this glitch.

On the other hand - i feel it weighs up a bit (Not alarming though!) sometimes. Could be my mind playing tricks since I am thinking too much about this issue.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 17:03   #33
BHPian

I am planning to go for the xcent automatic and wanted to confirm if this issue is sorted?
Has Hyundai admitted that their car faces this problem and has issued a recall?
Old 3rd March 2016, 19:18   #34

Hi,

I took delivery of Xcent SX Petrol in Dec 2015. I faced a similar issue on the way back from office today. It was as if the return to zero function was completely lost. I had to manually straighten the steering after a turn. It was however very inconsistent. By the time I reached near home 20mins later, the steering was back to normal. Mine is Aug 2015 VIN with 2.3K kms on the Odo.

@RVVSatya @Parth46 @aaggoswami. Have you faced the issue since then? Was there any resolution?
Old 3rd March 2016, 20:31   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramosfet View Post
Hi,

I took delivery of Xcent SX Petrol in Dec 2015. I faced a similar issue on the way back from office today. It was as if the return to zero function was completely lost. I had to manually straighten the steering after a turn. It was however very inconsistent. By the time I reached near home 20mins later, the steering was back to normal. Mine is Aug 2015 VIN with 2.3K kms on the Odo.

@RVVSatya @Parth46 @aaggoswami. Have you faced the issue since then? Was there any resolution?
Can't say I've ever faced this issue again after the first few severe instances in the beginning.

The steering feel/weighting remains inconsistent, but that "free wheel" thing has never returned.
Parth46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 20:39   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Can't say I've ever faced this issue again after the first few severe instances in the beginning.

The steering feel/weighting remains inconsistent, but that "free wheel" thing has never returned.
Thats good to hear. I hope it doesn't happen again in my case.
I remember a couple of days back while parking, I had left steering turned to one side. I tried to correct it and found the steering was locked. Then realized that I had already removed key. So left it as is and didn't face any problems later that day. Although i had to wiggle the steering a bit to allow the key to turn. Not sure it is related to this problem.
Old 4th March 2016, 15:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am not sure if this is variable assisting force or something like that, but the assistance is certainly not linear.
Today, I was going at 40-45 kmph and was providing mild inputs on left, right, etc. for keeping the car on track and to avoid various traffic hazards which include cows, dogs, kids on bicycle, mobile phone occupied 2 and 4 wheeler road users.
The EPS provides "Y" assistance. Note that these are mild inputs. Lets say 35-40Deg. from center. The two spokes of steering wheel, when at 3 and 9 position with front wheels pointing straight ahead, do not even become vertical (i.e. 6 and 12 position) with these mild inputs. The steering inputs are also not in quick succession.

Now, I keep the speed same and finding some open space, try avoiding manhole covers on roads to drain the rain water. The steering inputs are similar in degree, but input rate increases. I.e. I am not turning the steering wheel much, but turning left and right quickly than before.
To my horror, level of assistance increases. Its "Y+(Y/2)" or even "Y+Y".

You have pointed out the key thing here.
The rate of steering input is increased in scenario 2. The steering system after detecting that you moved the steering hard, promptly bumped up the assistance, in order to make sure that you negotiate the same obstacle with lesser degree steering wheel turn.
Based on my observation, some cars bump up the assistance after one strong yank, others after 2-3 yanks (sudden direction changes).
Sometimes, I play with the steering like this on open and unused roads to induce this rapid direction change on purpose just to see how bad/good the handling is.
I have experienced this in multiple cars like polo, i10, Verna and many others.
Based on my experience this sound normal to me.
Old 5th March 2016, 20:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Based on my observation, some cars bump up the assistance after one strong yank, others after 2-3 yanks (sudden direction changes).....
Based on my experience this sound normal to me.
For the point you have raised, its not wrong to have a system that provides more assistance after sensing quick, multiple steering inputs. Whats wrong is providing a system that is poorly calibrated. I still have Wagon R K10 with me, and its steering never suffered from all this and note that Wagon R's steering is known to be barely OK-ish.

There was either something wrong in calibration or in the sensors, but the feeling one gets is scary and very, very dangerous. We had Maruti 800, Wagon R, Baleno (sedan ), Innova, Grand i10 and Swift. Swift is massively different from Grand i10. Hyundai's steering systems are weird, and steering rattle from i10 and first generation i20 are common.

I have sold my Grand i10 due to one technical glitch which Hyundai Service center could not rectify. The trust factor for that car is lost. The place I work is barely 500-700 mtrs. from one Hyundai Service center, and there were a few words of Turbo failures in quite a few Grand i10 and even Xcents. Glad the car is not with me. Response from Ahmedabad Hyundai regional office was equally bad. Instances mentioned here can lead to life threatening situations and I did face that too. Hyundai should take this seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramosfet View Post
Hi,
I faced a similar issue on the way back from office today. ... on the Odo.

I sold off my Grand i10 and got Swift on July 31, 2015. However, almost till the date I sold it off, this issue kept on surfacing anywhere, anytime. One of the post indicating multiple issues I have faced is here. The Team BHP official review thread of Grand i10 has more details about my concerns.
I could not find any resolution to this. Dad's chauffeur drives dad and mom in Innova. After Innova, when he faced the steering issue in Grand i10 he told me that there is something wrong in my Grand i10.
Old 7th March 2016, 11:35   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the point you have raised, its not wrong to have a system that provides more assistance after sensing quick, multiple steering inputs. Whats wrong is providing a system that is poorly calibrated. I still have Wagon R K10 with me, and its steering never suffered from all this and note that Wagon R's steering is known to be barely OK-ish.

It's good that you moved on to another car. There is nothing more important that safety and peace of mind.
Hyundai steerings are known to be poorly calibrated. But the Hyundai cars i have experience with like i10 (old gen) and verna never had such alarming steering issues. I agree they have sensitivity issues, but not so bad as to cause accidents. Touch Wood.
Old 9th May 2016, 11:36   #40

hello all,

This issue relates to the MDPS(motor driven power steering) unit of the car. There might be issues related to
1. Power delivery to MDPS unit / power routing
2. Calibration - as the steering calibration depends on every persons use, strength applied etc
3. Sensor failure (might be)
I would advice you to get your car's MDPS (power steering) unit completely checked and ask them to look for error codes, if any have been recorded.
Check if your MIL(check engine) light goes on when this issue occurs, then the issue is something related to sensors. So they have to be properly set.
Also see that in which position or at what particular instance does this issue occur.
Try explaining then instances to the person responsible at the Hyundai authorised service.
Do not panic when such issues happen because things tend to go wrong when we panic. If you observe such issue then it is advised to get it checked immediately.
Drive safe and comfortable.
Rahul
Old 25th July 2016, 13:30   #41
BHPian

I have an Xcent SX(O) VTVT, VIN of Dec 2014 and purchased in Feb 2015 in Bangalore. I faced this "free wheel" issue for the first time last week, while returning from office in the middle of the KR Puram traffic. The steering felt as if it had come loose and was turning absolutely freely. Yes, it was quite scary. However, after about 2-3 minutes, the steering came back to its former self and all was good. I almost never leave the wheels turned while parking - I ensure that the wheels are straight, even though it takes me a little extra time to complete the parking in that case

My Xcent has done about 14.3K Kms on the Odo, and has gone through its servicing in March 2016.

I have also had another weird issue on my Xcent. Twice (first in around March 2016, second in June 2016), while driving, the entire systems has kind of just rebooted on me. The car did NOT stop - the engine was on the entire time, but the lights switched off and turned back on, all the displays in the instrument cluster reset and came back to life (trip meters were all reset to 0.0 but the Odo was not), the music system shut down and came back on. All of this happened within 2 seconds. The first time this happened it was dark (post 9PM) and it completely freaked me out. I took my car to Trident Hyundai near KR Puram the next morning, and the SA took a look and told me it all looks fine (I was thinking maybe some short circuit or something had happened). He also told me that this was the first time he was hearing this issue from an Xcent owner and told me to come back if it happened again. It did, a few weeks back - and the same symptoms. I haven't taken it to the service center this time though - been using Uber/Ola pool for a while now hence not much driving these days.

Has anyone else faced the second issue with their Xcents as well?
Old 25th July 2016, 13:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch_hornet View Post
My Xcent has done about 14.3K Kms on the Odo, and has gone through its servicing in March 2016.

I have also had another weird issue on my Xcent.

<snip>

Has anyone else faced the second issue with their Xcents as well?
For your second issue, please check the cables to and from your battery.
I had this exact same problem in my i10, and a simple cable change solved it.
Check the post linked below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3310293
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 13:54   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
For your second issue, please check the cables to and from your battery.
I had this exact same problem in my i10, and a simple cable change solved it.
Check the post linked below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3310293
Thank you, will try this and update the thread. The problem is this issue has happened very erratically (once a few months) for me so I'm not sure how to verify that the fix worked, but still will get the cables changed.
Old 3rd September 2017, 00:07   #44
BHPian

Guys,

I should have posted this long time back as I'm facing this issue almost since I got the car 1.5 years back.

Mine is Xcent SX(O) VTVT - purchased in Feb'2016.

The problem I face is, the steering (at least to me), is extremely heavy. I have to put in quite some effort to turn it around. This effort directly translates to an uneasiness/pain in my right neck/shoulder area.

In Aug'2016, we, as a family, went on a road-trip to Coimbatore and back - a total of around ~1100 kms. Few days after returning, I developed very severe neck/shoulder pain that pushed me into complete bed-rest for more than a month. I could not relate it to my drive then. Per the doctor's opinion, I had initially thought the problem to be occupational hazard (posture when using the computer). But later, I felt that the steering could be the real source of the pain.

I checked with Hyundai Service guys (HMP, Alandur) and they say everything is perfectly fine.

What could be the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
For those of you who do not like the ultra light steering of the I10, I can help you a little much in this matter.

When you get a wheel alignment done, Ask them to dial 1mm or 0.10degrees of toe in. Will increase the steering effort by a bit, will have great straight line stability, turn in's wont have a light steering like before, but u ll lose out a bit on acceleration and top speed, do it only if you are okay with thaT.
humyum, will the opposite of what you have said work out for me?

On a side note, though the leather steering looks rich and premium, it offers zero frictional support/hold on to your palms. I really wonder the necessity to provide such a smooth/silky steering.

Last edited by callvvijay : 3rd September 2017 at 00:10.
Old 3rd September 2017, 11:01   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Guys,

I should have posted this long time back as I'm facing this issue almost since I got the car 1.5 years back.

Mine is Xcent SX(O) VTVT - purchased in Feb'2016.

The problem I face is, the steering (at least to me), is extremely heavy. I have to put in quite some effort to turn it around. This effort directly translates to an uneasiness/pain in my right neck/shoulder area.

In Aug'2016, we, as a family, went on a road-trip to Coimbatore and back - a total of around ~1100 kms. Few days after returning, I developed very severe neck/shoulder pain that pushed me into complete bed-rest for more than a month. I could not relate it to my drive then. Per the doctor's opinion, I had initially thought the problem to be occupational hazard (posture when using the computer). But later, I felt that the steering could be the real source of the pain.

I checked with Hyundai Service guys (HMP, Alandur) and they say everything is perfectly fine.

What could be the problem?

humyum, will the opposite of what you have said work out for me?

On a side note, though the leather steering looks rich and premium, it offers zero frictional support/hold on to your palms. I really wonder the necessity to provide such a smooth/silky steering.
Hi Vijay,

In your next alignment, ask them to do set your toe to 0, by 0 I mean 0 mm/0 degrees and not the 0 that is shown on the machine which is usually the centre point of the green zone which sets the readings which have put in by them as a perfect toe reading.

Set it to 0mm/degrees and see how you feel. Steering can be lightened by setting a negative toe too but I would advice against it as the steering response will be VERY sharp.

Most Viewed