Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2014, 22:52   #46
BHPian

Re: My Horror Story: Chevrolet Captiva on Fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhSaran View Post
I think RK collected this information after the incident only.
Oh yes, I re-read the posts. Appologise.

But, still my questions remain, What options do we, as consumers have. As I mentioned, is it possible for any other GM Captiva owner to get the preventive maintenance done on his car, after coming to know of such incidents.?
Old 13th September 2014, 23:13   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Shocking to read about it R.K. Ranjan. Our laws are too lax and the multinationals (our companies are veterans at ducking the systems) have their legal advisers who have explained them about the loopholes in the system and the weaker points of our so called "consumer centric laws." So these multinationals have fully understood that they can go easy with their negligent and devil may care attitude.

The recalls as you say took place in other markets and not in India.The laws of the developed countries trap them and they have to pay heavy penalties to the consumer and also face a belligerent media and of course the public.
Old 14th September 2014, 07:39   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

@OP - this needs to be fought.

@All - I posted this as a story, about consumers being taken for a ride, on my social media. Suggest that others interested do something similar.
Old 14th September 2014, 09:38   #49
Senior - BHPian

Thankfully you are out of this alive and thank god you were traveling without family. Would have been a nightmare if children,women and the aged were on board. Take care.

Trust Chevy will come up with a detailed investigation and don't tarnish their indian reputation unlike what Skoda have done.

Have they already said anything apart from what you have mentioned?

Get yourself a good lawyer.

All: is there a way to check if this vehicle and Samir Suhag's vehicle were manufactured in the same plants in China/elsewhere and part of the same batch of recalls initiated in the America and China? Hope Wildon will be able to do something on this?

Basically the investigation should now be on the power steering cooling fan?

Here is wishing you the best of luck and any support that you may require.
Old 14th September 2014, 13:03   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rk Ranjan View Post
A few shocking facts I have discovered over the last three weeks:
• In Dec 2011, GM announced a global recall of Captiva SUV to correct a reported fire risk in engine compartment. Shockingly, the recall did not and to date, has not taken place in India for this SUV which is manufactured and shipped globally from the same South Korean plant that caters to the US and China- two largest auto markets and where the recall happened very promptly. For more details, you can refer to this link- http://www.oncars.in/car-news/chevro...fire-risk/1578

• At least 5 cases of unexplained fire in engine compartment of Chevy Captiva have happened across India in the past 11 months. On 22nd July, in an exactly similar incident as mine, Chevrolet Captiva of Samir Suhag, national level polo player and Arjuna awardee burnt down. He and his wife escaped in time, just like me. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/38826408.cms
Found this additional info on the internet, it points to an issue with the power steering fluid overheating

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...fire-risk.html
Attached Images

The Observer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 20:55   #51
BHPian

Extremely sad and caused by willful negligence on the part of GM. I would suggest a case in the consumer court to begin with, not sure if it can qualify as a criminal case otherwise. Fudging emission data with Tavera and now avoiding recalls - GM hits a new low. Also posting on my Social Networks.
Old 15th September 2014, 11:26   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Good thing you got the images for proof.

I would suggest you escalate this issue to GM.
Not alone but with other owners facing issues with their GM vehicles.

Since the GM head is in India itself, you might get an advantage.

Try this link to get in touch with GM. : https://www.chevrolet.com/contact/email-us.html
Dear All

Thanks for your support. Just to let you know, I have made desperate attempts, right up to the contacting the GM India MD, Arvind Saxena and the Global CEO, Mary Barra. While the former's office sent the engineering team to inspect the vehicle, all they came up with is "fuel leakage as the suspected cause" and nothing beyond this. Multiple tweets and emails to Mary Barra have gone unacknowledged.

I am now taking the legal route and am trying to get in touch with as many Captiva owners as I can, as all of them are at risk. Moreover, if I can 60-80 Captiva owners on board, that will be grounds for a PIL, forcing GM to conduct a safety recall in India.

Requesting for support by putting me in touch with all Captiva owners you know...
Rk Ranjan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 12:48   #53
BHPian

Extremely sad to hear the kind of callous attitude Chevrolet is taking to a very serious problem. GM should realize customers don't spend this kind of money to buy their own death traps. Though I am owner of Chevrolet Beat and faced no issues with it till date, this really dents my confidence.

Maybe we should shun these companies and only buy from the likes of Hyundai / Maruti / Honda which care enough about Indian market. A global recall across major markets but not in India to fix a major problem is totally unacceptable. We should have laws that punish such practices very very strictly.

Chevrolet India needs to be taken to court, not just by the customers but by the authorities as well for showing such a callous attitude.

A very strong message needs to be sent to all auto manufacturers. To do business in India, ensure you are giving your best attention else you will b e penalized heavily.

Sorry if my message came across too strongly but I am outraged by these kind of negligence being shown by manufacturers.
Old 15th September 2014, 13:09   #54
BHPian

As per the draft of the new Road Transport Safety Bill of 2014, if even 100 people complain to the Vehicle Regulation and Road Safety Authority about a particular defect in any car model, which could cause harm to vehicle occupants or road users, the Authority can order a recall on its own.

The draft bill also mentions that manufacturers whose vehicles are subject to a recall order would have to compensate buyers for the full value of the vehicle or replace or repair the defective vehicle with another vehicle of similar or better specifications.

Source : Times of India

Although it may take time to get approved and then implemented but its a very good step in the right direction.
Old 15th September 2014, 13:18   #55
BHPian

Damn man. If you did not have the mind to roll down the windows in the first place, I just couldn't imagine what would have happened. We also have cases of Vento and Civics burning down as well. Keeping that in mind, I thought of installing those fire extinguishers for 2 reason, to kill the flames and break the glass with the strong canister if needed.
And I'm not sure where I read this but someone mentioned you can use the headrest and it's protruding beams to break open the glass.
Old 15th September 2014, 13:23   #56
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience RK, though I feel extremely sorry for what happened with you.

A very important tip that I have taken from your experience and I guess everyone else should too is that :
1) We should always be observant of any smoke that might come from our engine. We are generally very engrossed with the traffic and reaching early, that we miss on this.
2) You opened the window once you saw the smoke and kept it opened. I guess, when one does realize that smoke is coming out from the engine, one would take time to stop and look over. The window should be kept open. A lot of cases have happened where the doors got locked and the passengers could not come out of the car.

It has happened with me too once when there was smoke coming out of my ascent (2 years back) and I observed it too and stopped it once I got free from the traffic - But my windows were closed. Thank God, it wasn't anything serious, but if it was, it would have been fatal.
Old 15th September 2014, 14:02   #57
Senior - BHPian

RK you are surely a lucky person. Good to know you are unharmed. Material losses eventually will not matter.

Coming to the case of Captiva. Did you happen to do any after market mods? wiring change etc? Just to be sure it was not cause of some poor mod job.

However given GM's recent track record and huge fines in US its wont be surprising to find OEM issue itself. Even in US the faulty ignition switch issue that happened, was known to GM for 10yrs before they did any recalls.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 14:07   #58
BHPian

Absolutely shocked to see this and more so with the callous attitude of the GM team in trying to push it under the blanket.

As for the recalls are considered, we do not have strict penalty or a nodal agency to monitor these. Until then these car makers will continue to take us for a ride (no pun intended)
Old 15th September 2014, 14:12   #59
Senior - BHPian

I second Hayek's views. Take them by the ear to the consumer court for wilful negligence. But be prepared for a long drawn out fight.
Old 15th September 2014, 14:33   #60
BHPian

Thank god that you were fortunate and were able to keep both yourself and other road users out of harm's way. Now, coming to GM; globally their image was tarnished recently due to the ignition switch recall : http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/gm-...switch-n176301

As if getting stuck in the lawsuit turmoil wasn't enough for GM; there comes news that their flagship sportscar Corvette too has issues : http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...halt/15503037/

These incidents seriously question the credibility of GM as a Car Manufacturer. High time that our government intervened with GM's operations and manufacturing process.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks