Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2006, 14:10   #1
BHPian

Baleno Brake Pads bleeding me dry

Hi All,

My Baleno is exactly a year old to the day today and has covered about 14,000kms. Went to the dealer to get it checked up for a few niggling problems/ tightening nuts and bolts and then the mechanic noticed and commented that my front brakes were at the end of their lives.

I wasn't so sure about this and he opened the bonnet and pointed to the brake fluid level which was near the bottom line. He said that apart from visually inspecting the brakes (without taking out the tyres), looking at the brake oil level also confirms that the brake pads are almost finished.

I checked up the cost of the pads and was told that it was Rs4,800 and change ( Direct Import from Japan, Saar!)

After Hyperventillating for a few moments, decided to get it changed but alas, the only dealer in my godforsaken ****ty busti didn't have it in stock and I won't get it for the next two months or so.

Have decided to go to Siliguri just to get the brake pads changed coz according to the mechanic, after about a week to ten days my brakes will be completely finished...

My queries-
- Do the front pads give way after just 14K odd kms? (The rear brake drums are said to last about 40,000kms. Is it true?)
- Does the level of the brake Oil actually signify the condition of the brakes? What about the rear drums?
- Is the cost of the front pads really almost 5 grands?
- Can I find cheaper brake pads (Locally made) in the market? Should i put them? Is it advisable or too much of a risk?
- Is there any way I can "Juggar Karos" the problem. (Like I use Sandpaper to file the brake drums on my Enfield and my old Gypsy. The drums go on and on and...)

Please advise coz after paying the 2nd Year comprehensive Insurance (Rs15,300), am really short of cash this month.

thanks All,

Puffy.
Old 8th August 2006, 14:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

14000 kms seems too early for brake pads to wear out (for any car). Though the decrease in brake fluid level in the reservoir can indicate brake pad wear, it need not always be the case. Try topping up the brake fluid to the prescribed level and observe after a few days whether it again goes low or not. Also, do you feel any difference in braking ability between now and the time you bought the car ?
I will have a look at the fluid level in my car - mine is of similar vintage - and let you know.
Old 8th August 2006, 14:49   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
14000 kms seems too early for brake pads to wear out (for any car). Though the decrease in brake fluid level in the reservoir can indicate brake pad wear, it need not always be the case.
Please note puffy lives in Gangtok. The city roads in Gangtok can shame most ghat sections in the country. Let's not even talk about the highways there, which are little more than mountain trails. I believe his brake pads are the victim of his location.

Puffy, do you use lot of engine braking or use the brake while driving? I have seen your city and I don't think most brake pads can survive it for long. BTW, don't drive to Siliguri in your Baleno, may not be safe.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th August 2006 at 14:50.
Old 8th August 2006, 14:55   #4
BHPian

While I'm all for using stock parts as far as possible, this sort of calls for some shopping around. Do options even exist in the form of aftermarket replacements from reputable manufacturers?
Old 8th August 2006, 15:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

hi
i had replaced the brake pads of my baleno since mine is a 2k car. i dont remember the exact figure but it cost about 1500-1800 in mumbai auto market. i replaced it myself. any good mechanic should replace it for 200rs. u engine braking is what all say to be done in ghats, i will suggest also using the brakes equally, not letting them heat up. hot brakes dont hold.i will prefer changing brake pads to changing clutch every 20k km.
Old 8th August 2006, 15:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Puffy, I would agree with Samurai on this one - be EXTRA careful driving down to Siliguri given the condition of your pads.

And, IMHO, its not worth going for anything else other than original fitments considering the terrain you drive in, its not worth the risk. Expensive, yah, but necessary I would say
Old 8th August 2006, 15:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

If your brake fluid has reached the bottom most level n there's no leakage then the brake pads are gone for sure in most cases.....

The price of the brake pads quoted are on the higher side...

Here at MASS Baleno brake pads will cost u Rs. 1040 + taxes...

KP
Old 8th August 2006, 15:20   #8
Team-BHP Support

You are better off asking some friend in nearby city like Kolkotta to ship you the brake pads.
Old 8th August 2006, 15:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
The price of the brake pads quoted are on the higher side...
Here at MASS Baleno brake pads will cost u Rs. 1040 + taxes...
Are you sure about this price ? If I remember right, your family owns a MASS or something, right ? If so, I guess you know what you are talking about.
I am asking because, a year ago, I had noted down all Baleno spare prices from the list displayed at my local MASS and the price was Rs.4076.
Ofcourse it is possible that the prices have come down after that.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 8th August 2006 at 15:34.
Old 8th August 2006, 15:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Are you sure about this price ? If I remember right, your family owns a MASS or something, right ? If so, I guess you know what you are talking about.
I am asking because, a year ago, I had noted down all Baleno spare prices from the list displayed at my local MASS and the price was Rs.4076.
Ofcourse it is possible that the prices have come down after that.
The price i've quoted is what it is right now...(I confirmed it again)...

Though u may be right the pads were costing 4K + a year ago, that time i didn't have a baleno too
Old 8th August 2006, 18:02   #11
BHPian

Hey Puffy!!!

Brake pads wear and tear depends a lot upon the way the car is driven. And as most of them have pin pointed, it wouldn't last long in places like Gangtok. The prices which you are quoting is the amount I paid in 2001 to replace the brake pads (Rs 5200/- including taxes). Prices have dropped down significantly now.... The prices I recollect when I had last changed the brake pads before disposing the car in 2005 was Rs 3200/- and the cost of Baleno spares have further dipped down after that. DO NOT drive the car for long distances when your brake pads are worn out. You will end up damaging the front disc. It will an expensive affair to replace that.

Cheers.

Last edited by sumitdongerkery : 8th August 2006 at 18:05.
Old 8th August 2006, 20:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

all baleno spares price has down by more than 50%. this car is now worth a good buy in second hand market now as you can replace all normal wear and tear parts and make ur car as good as a overhauled one. replace the pads before going on long trip. once the metal starts rubbing u will get the noise and then might have to replace the disk.
Old 8th August 2006, 22:18   #13
BHPian

I suggest that if the brakes can last , take a safe trip down to closest station available for a maruti..or better still you can use RANE brake pads they are very good..at least for my lancer they work as good as the OEM Sumi-Tomo...I had first replaced the Brake Pads at 33,000 KM and had the Disc's Polished..That Time I went for Auto Clutch..which were just about Ok Ok Pads..this time I had to change them inot RANE after 20,000 more Odd KM's, got the disc's polished again and These pads give me the same braking power and effect as the OEM ones did...a big change over the Auto Clutch ones..! RANE also supplies OEM to Maruti...I'm sure that the reason for lower Brake Pad price would be that they are now Locally sourced in the country,rather than importing them from Japan..!
Get your Disc's also checked and if required then have them polished..!
Change the Entire Brake Fluid system , on Pad change.
Old 9th August 2006, 12:55   #14
BHPian

Yes....

I presume the spares for Balenos available now are MGP..... Initially when the car was launched the spares available were SGP... Maybe that explains the drop in price

Cheers
Old 10th August 2006, 15:02   #15
BHPian

Samurai, I don't do much engine braking. Rely on the brakes. That and the terrain, I guess contributed to the brake wear. Called up Beekay Motors at Siliguri and guess what? the quoted Rs 1,200- 1,300 for a pair ( both front). Guess Entel Motors at Gangtok are still charging the old rates and making a hefty profit from unknowing customers...

WolfStein, how do U get the brake discs polished? Is it worth doing it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks