Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2015, 19:38   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW / Skoda 1.8L TSI: When to replace the timing chain?

In our Skoda Yeti, there was a slight rattle from the otherwise quiet engine hinting to look at the timing kit. The car was close to 90K then.

I would suggest, whenever you start up your car in the morning, please do listen to it in a closed parking place/garage. If there is any abnormal sound, do get it looked into.
Old 20th December 2015, 10:06   #17
BHPian

My DSG Laura TDI has done 140k. So far everything is ship shape. Looking at the DSG kit replacement at 150k and timing kit at 200k, if it lasts that long
Old 20th December 2015, 13:47   #18
BANNED

For the benefit of those with 1.8 TSI engines:

The first symptoms of chain slippage would be usually a minor hesitation or unusual noise during starting. There will be no warning lights. Usually after this initial symptom the engine starts and runs without any apparent problem. During any of the subsequent starts, there would be a larger hesitation while starting the engine. It is at this time, the major slippage / tensioner failure happens and warning lights would come on. By this time the damage would be done.

There are two ways to go about this:

1. If you are able to recognise the initial hesitation / unusual noise during starting it is best to take it to the ASS for a check up of the timing chain. Since there are no warning lights, they will tell you nothing is wrong. Insist on having the engine opened and checked. You might be able to get away with a faulty hydraulic chain tensioner failure and have the complete timing chain kit assembly replaced thereby avoiding major damage to the engine.

2. If you are not able to properly recognise the hesitation during starting, you will know about this issue only when the engine stalls and the warning lights come on. By this time, unfortunately, there would be more damage to the engine.

What you can do to reduce the probability of this happening:

a. Avoid engine mods that lead to engine power increase.

b. Avoid using the car as a predominantly city commute vehicle.

c. If your use is majorly city commutes, reduce the oil drain interval to 7.5K.

d. Maintain oil at or near max levels always.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:47   #19
BHPian

Update: Got news from TAFE just now. As a goodwill gesture Skoda Corporate has agreed to replace the damaged engine with a brand new one. The new engine should be at TAFE within 10 days.

Not bad Skoda, things are definitely improving. My friend is finally a happy man.
luky_13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 19:46   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Update: Got news from TAFE just now. As a goodwill gesture Skoda Corporate has agreed to replace the damaged engine with a brand new one. The new engine should be at TAFE within 10 days.

Not bad Skoda, things are definitely improving. My friend is finally a happy man.
Bad news that this issue is now reported on the Indian TSi. I have been following this on briskoda because I am worried about my TSi which is now almost 6 years old. What's the month of manufacture of your friend's car?
Old 23rd December 2015, 20:32   #21
BHPian

This TSI was born in January 2011
Old 8th January 2016, 05:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post

Also other points for consideration for the 1.8TSI engine is -
- Spark plugs life is 90k kms as they are long life titanium plugs. But they replace in India @30k, don't know why.
- Air Filter Life is also 90k kms but they replace here every 15k kms
- Dust and Pollen filter life is 60k kms but they replace that too @15k kms here.
- Fuel filter for petrol cars is also supposed to be for life but is replaced here every 15k kms.

Also as the vehicles sold in India are QG1 i.e. Variable Service Interval, they need to be serviced only once in 2 years if running is less than 15k and not every year, though I like to stick to 10k service interval. Brake fluid should be first changed at 3 year, then every 2 year.

Hope that helps.

Cheers...
Pollen and Air filter service life depends to a greater extent on environment in which the vehicles are driven, more than the kms. Indian conditions are dustier. I am not sure if these filters can be cleaned and reused. Regarding spark plug life, fuel quality plays an important role. Again if the recommended interval is 90k in a euro market, I would safely imagine lesser service life in our parts of the country.

Regarding the flexible service interval QG1, a different grade of oil is also recommended in that case. The oil used in our 1.8 TSI, and virtually in all Skodas and VWs sold in India are of the same grade and brand from Castrol. Last time I checked the oil grade correspond to the one used in a fixed service interval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

Thanks for the detailed post. My concern was why the 1.8 TSI engine has been excluded for the replacement intervals and only the 2.0 TSI versions are mentioned. The chain and other hardware must be similar in both.

Been servicing my TSI at 10K intervals since last 2 services and maintaining oil above halfway mark at all times. I am at 82K kms with my TSI and absolutely no signs of fatigue from the engine. Still pulls like a freight train.
I don't think the replacement suggested for 2.0L petrol engines corresponds to the TSI engines. It clearly states toothed belt and not timing chain. Maybe they are referring to the older 2.0L petrol engine, the non FSI/TFSI which had timing belts instead of timing chains.

Cheers,
Avinash
Old 9th December 2020, 21:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post

Hi wanted to check- my 1.8 tsi has the same issue. Car currently at Tafe. All they say engine replacement. Skoda is willing to do only 20% goodwill. Am not accepting that. I have posted under a thread - Skoda superb 1.8 tsi engine failure. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 08:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_driver View Post
Hi wanted to check- my 1.8 tsi has the same issue. Car currently at Tafe. All they say engine replacement. Skoda is willing to do only 20% goodwill. Am not accepting that. I have posted under a thread - Skoda superb 1.8 tsi engine failure. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
The problem is inherent with VW Petrol engines. I too was offered 20..30..40% as goodwill, when I threatened to go public they dispatched a new engine.
Old 8th October 2021, 23:15   #25

Hi Lucky_13,
Would it be possible for you to get in touch with me on contact22avishek@gmail.com?
I really need some advice on Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI.

Thanks
Avishek

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks