Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2006, 10:45   #1
BHPian

Three problems with my vtec

About two months back i had purchased a OHC Vtec 2002 dec make. I am facing three problems.
1) the power steering oil is leaking and it leaves a stain on the ground wherever i park for a long time(about 5 - 6 hours). When i was making the purchase I assumed its a small tightening of some connection somewhere. but when i took it to the showroom they tell me that i need to replace the whole power steerign system. They extimated it at 20k.
2) The exhaust system mysteriously broke one day. It literally just broke in between and fell off while i was driving one day. The honda guys asked me to change the entire exhaust when i went in for a small weld and estimated it at 23k. I got it welded outside and it s fine now but i am really scared as to when it ll fall the next time.
3) The suspension feels very bad. It feels very hard. Want to change it. Dont know how much that would cost but assume it s well over 20k.

The basic idea i got from sundaram honda(hyderabad) is that any small repair in a honda needs the entire unit to be replaced. and more often than not the cost is well over 20k. Thats what has been bothering me as i had just invested 4.8l on getting this one (it had run only 39k km when i bought it). I am very unwilling to spend another lac on making it alright. Can somebody suggest what i can do, if at all there is anything i can do. The car otherwise feels good. and thats the reason i dont want to sell it off.
Old 12th September 2006, 10:50   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunith
About two months back i had purchased a OHC Vtec 2002 dec make. I am facing three problems.
1) the power steering oil is leaking and it leaves a stain on the ground wherever i park for a long time(about 5 - 6 hours). When i was making the purchase I assumed its a small tightening of some connection somewhere. but when i took it to the showroom they tell me that i need to replace the whole power steerign system. They extimated it at 20k.
2) The exhaust system mysteriously broke one day. It literally just broke in between and fell off while i was driving one day. The honda guys asked me to change the entire exhaust when i went in for a small weld and estimated it at 23k. I got it welded outside and it s fine now but i am really scared as to when it ll fall the next time.
3) The suspension feels very bad. It feels very hard. Want to change it. Dont know how much that would cost but assume it s well over 20k.

The basic idea i got from sundaram honda(hyderabad) is that any small repair in a honda needs the entire unit to be replaced. and more often than not the cost is well over 20k. Thats what has been bothering me as i had just invested 4.8l on getting this one (it had run only 39k km when i bought it). I am very unwilling to spend another lac on making it alright. Can somebody suggest what i can do, if at all there is anything i can do. The car otherwise feels good. and thats the reason i dont want to sell it off.
Hey,

Contact TBhpian Psycho who is from Banglore. He will help you out and give you a much better job probably stiffened suspension as well in less than what the company will charge you.

Viper
Old 12th September 2006, 11:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

1. You may have no choice but to get the steering system replaced.
2. Exhaust - you can get it replaced outside, I suggest you gor for stainless steel - at least in Mumbai climate is essential. Otherwise usually the outside exhaust will fail earlier than original Honda one but fraction of Honda price.
3. Check your tires. 2002 means 4 years gone, tires have become stiff and belts warped. If you are not careful, the stiff tires will take the suspension with them, if not already done so. Replacing front and rear suspension will cost 15-20k at dealer. You can try out Psycho and possible to get it done outside cheaper.

I am sorry, but it does seem if not a lac, at least 50k will have to be budgeted by you.
Old 12th September 2006, 11:56   #4
BHPian

I had insisted that the oil leak be fixed before the purchase. The owner showed it to me and there was no leak then. B ut it started leaking again two weeks later.
The tyres were brand new bidgestone Potenza GIII . so i dont think there s a problem with the tyres. But will get it checked anyways. but is there anything concrete that can be done without actaully replacing the entire power steering.
Also how much would a suspension revamp cost???
Old 12th September 2006, 12:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunith
I had insisted that the oil leak be fixed before the purchase. The owner showed it to me and there was no leak then. B ut it started leaking again two weeks later.
The tyres were brand new bidgestone Potenza GIII . so i dont think there s a problem with the tyres. But will get it checked anyways. but is there anything concrete that can be done without actaully replacing the entire power steering.
Also how much would a suspension revamp cost???
Unfortunately there's not much that can be done about the steering leak. The owner probably had the leak plugged by replacing a faulty seal and that is one option that you can do but this is only a temporary fix. The seal will fail sooner or later.

Best option is to get the steering box replaced but ti's expensive. One more option would be to go to a good independent garage and get the steering box changed there, this would be cheaper by about 20-30% compared to Honda workshops.

As for the suspension overhaul the cost depends on where you get it done & how bad it is. But a decent job (Non-Honda workshop) would cost you around 20-30k.
Old 12th September 2006, 19:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

First find out exactly where the leak is coming from. Replacing the entire thing is the easy way out but local mechanics always have a band aid solution.

Exhuast is bound to snap, because the scraping sound you hear when you go over a bump is the ex pipe getting literally sawed off.

Last edited by Mpower : 12th September 2006 at 19:37.
Old 12th September 2006, 23:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

really, sundaram guys are terrible. they only know to change parts, they do not have any other options. get a good local mechanic & have it fixed.
Old 13th September 2006, 00:33   #8
ECM
BHPian

Sunith,practical idea is to sell off your car,yes this looks odd but think on it.
Old 13th September 2006, 11:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Practical idea would have been not to buy it in the first place.

Always do a thorough check before you pick up 2nd hand vehicles. All this should have been looked into before buying it.

Not sure if you've got a choice as far as the power steering leak goes but suspension and exhuast and be fixed for less than half the price.

Shan2nu

Shan2nu
Old 13th September 2006, 12:10   #10
BHPian

I agree with ECM - cut your losses and sack off the car. I junked my lovingly maintained OHC when the compressor conked out and the dealer ripped me off for Rs. 30k. This happened at 45k kms and until then I was a believer in the Honda hype that exists in India. I expected quality better than Suzuki from Honda - my 7yr old Zen has never inflicted grievous repair bills on me. Its a myth that Honda repairs are cheap.
Old 13th September 2006, 16:09   #11

Do you have the contact details of TBhpian Psycho ? I checked the member list and there are huge psycho's with those names.
Old 13th September 2006, 17:53   #12
BHPian

the thought of selling it off has crossed my mind more than once but i want to give it more than 2 months to impress me. I mean, If i shell out 50k and it costs me very less for a looong time then i dont mind it....i am just waiting for the car to gain my confidence. The suspension i can bear with... for now.. but the steering leak is really irritating me.... anyways... looks likei dont have too much of a choice. :(
anyways will contact Psycho for further details...thanks anywyas for all the suggestions... anyone with any bright ideas can pm me
Old 14th September 2006, 20:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

As for the Authorised Service centers, its the same everywhere with respect to fixing the malfunctioning part...they will simply replace it coz thats the ground rule and they have to abide by it...every where(unless you have a friend on those terms there)!

If the steering leak isnt due to anything major, it can be fixed at a local workshop to the best of mechs ability...

Suspension work too can be easily done and would cost you a third of what you might otherwise have to spend at the authorised guys.

p.s: I had both my rear suspensions changed at Dakshin Honda(Authorised Honda guys here in Blore) for some 3k! That aint too expensive...

Having said that, pls contact Psycho as everyone else has recommended...he surely has few simple tricks up his sleeve to fix your problems!

Last edited by The Wolf : 14th September 2006 at 20:38.
Old 5th October 2006, 15:53   #14
BHPian

I finally got my car from hyderabad
anyways, the power steering problem is fixed now.
the suspension and the silencer issues remain :(
Old 5th October 2006, 16:08   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hmmmm...Those problems appear to be regular in Vtecs. My 2003 Vtec has had its exhaust fall off twice, and was fitted back both times by Linkway Honda.

And I remember Shan2nu mentioning leaks in his power steering system?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks