Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2015, 20:07   #46
BHPian

Re: Volvo XC60 - Engine Seized!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKM View Post
I took a test drive of xc60 today & when i asked specifically about this air inlet issue, he showed the air inlet suction which is behind the grille at the right side of the engine compartment just behind the headlight, a little above the engine. i couldn't find any other air inlet pipe at a lower height.
can you post a picture of the inlet pipe at the lower height. this would be very useful for me to decide whether to buy this vehicle or not.
Thanks!
I don't know exactly where it is, and I haven't been able to take a look myself, but according to the Volvo Technician there is some part of the air inlet pipe that eventually connects to the air filter which is much lower than the air filter itself, this is the reason behind the low wading depth of 25cm - 35cm.
I don't know how true his statement is, but since I've already sent my car for repairs elsewhere, I didn't bother delving deeper into his statement, as the car had to be repaired anyway due to water ingress someway or the other, which was confirmed by another Mechanic.
Old 29th November 2015, 20:47   #47
VKM
BHPian

my Yeti manual says water wading should be only upto ground clearance level i.e. 180mm, but i have driven in small pools upto 30cm & never faced any problem. but volvo manual says 25cm but still your car has faced such an issue. Other xc60 owners pls pitch in with your inputs & water wading experiences too.
Old 30th November 2015, 21:58   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKM View Post
Other xc60 owners pls pitch in with your inputs & water wading experiences too.
Not faced this problem on NCRs water logged roads. In fact because I though the air intake was much higher based on my conversations with Volvo at the time of purchase I have been cheerfully ploughing through 6" to 10" of water.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 23:56   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Not faced this problem on NCRs water logged roads. In fact because I though the air intake was much higher based on my conversations with Volvo at the time of purchase I have been cheerfully ploughing through 6" to 10" of water.
10" is 25.4cm which is what is recommended as the maximum wading depth in the XC60 Manual.

I guess there must be a certain speed you should stay under/over when going through anything above 25cm and upto the 350mm Limit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks