Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your preferred oil change interval?
Whatever the manufacturer recommends 145 30.08%
5,000 - 7,500 kms 93 19.29%
7,600 - 10,000 kms 176 36.51%
10,100 - 15,000 kms 62 12.86%
Over 15,000 kms (seriously??) 6 1.24%
Voters: 482. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2021, 20:03   #136
BHPian

Re: What oil change interval do you adhere to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yes.

I will be taking the car to the FNG for an oil change in the coming weeks - will have them check for sludge deposits (if any) and report back here.
Any update? Did you find the sludge deposits?
2TR-FE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 20:34   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TR-FE View Post
Any update? Did you find the sludge deposits?
When I went for oil change, asked my FNG about opening the camshaft cover to look for sludge deposits. He said it is pointless and discouraged it - don't remember exactly now, but I think he said it is too much work for nothing.

Is this (opening camshaft cover) something simple which I can do or needs a mechanic's expertise ? If former, I can try that next time I am at my parent's place.
Old 24th April 2021, 20:37   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Is this (opening camshaft cover) something simple which I can do or needs a mechanic's expertise ? If former, I can try that next time I am at my parent's place.
It is best to have a mechanic do this, as you probably have to replace the seal - and also tighten the bolts with a torque wrench to ensure you are doing this properly...
SuperFlyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 21:36   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

I had voted manufacturer recommended changes. But I dont think I follow that, because the manufacturer has specified in the owners manual about the usage type also: city use category, where the change must be at half the max duration; and full duration where vehicle is used more on the highways. I think many people do the same. And service centres dont fuss about it, because they cant validate how we have used the vehicle.
Old 24th April 2021, 21:58   #140
Senior - BHPian

I do it at the manufacturer recommended interval, which for my car is 10,000 km or 12 months whichever is earlier. My car hardly does 5000 km in a year, so it gets an annual service and oil change. I use the best synthetic or semi synthetic oil for it.

My bike usage is more. The recommended interval for it is 3000 km or 3 months. But I use the best synthetic oil and do a service/oil change every six months. The bike will do about 4.5k km during the period. But I have to keep an extra can of oil and top up a bit once every thousand km. I will clean the plug and air filter once at the 3 month mark myself. Works very well for me.

Last edited by Gansan : 24th April 2021 at 22:01.
Old 25th April 2021, 10:10   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

I adhere to whatever the manufacturer recommends.

For my Maruti SX4, the service interval is 10,000km/1 year. Before 2018, I used to drive this car a lot and used to reach the 10,0000km interval every 6 months or so, and I used to do a full service whenever that happened. That often meant 2 services in a year!

After 2018 my usage of this car reduced a lot as this is my second car now. And now, I barely do 2,000km in a year on this car. So now a full service for this car is a yearly affair. But it does feel a bit weird to change all fluids after only 2,000km running. I still do that, just to be safe.

In my BMW 3-series, there is no choice at all. This car has "Condition Based Servicing" (CBS) where the car tracks all parameters and tells exactly what service/replacement is due. And I do that as per the CBS. Even when I take the car for service, the service center guys just scan my key (yes, the key stores all driving data and service related requirements), and do only that which the CBS requires at that point.

With CBS, sometimes the oil changes happens at 12,000km, or sometimes lesser, depending on the driving conditions. Further, even brake fluid change, brake pad change etc have their own requirements in CBS and they happens as per their own schedule in CBS.

Thus, in a BMW, there isn't a generic recommendation to adhere to. The car tells exactly what is needed when, and the both I and the service center follow that without fail.
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 10:32   #142
BHPian

I change my 2012 Diesel I20's oil at every 5k and Diesel filter at every 10k, contrary to what the manufacturer says, oil at every 10k and Diesel filter at every 20k.

I have been following this from day1. My first oil change was at 2200km, then at 5000 and thereafter its been at every 5000. My car has done 95+k kms, however, the engine purrs.

The service manager and the GM at the A.S.S. have offered to buy my car several times, due to the rigorous service schedule I've followed

For the OHC Vtec's and my 2001 Zen, the service interval is every 5000km's.
ssjr0498 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 11:32   #143
BHPian

Hello All,

My XUV500 W10 - 2015, has clocked 130K kms till now and is running wonderfully.

Till 110K kms, all services were done in ASC and as prescribed in the manual. For 120K kms and 130K kms, I got it done through a good FNG, where-in they recommended all oils/ filters to change every 10K kms for better performance and long life.

During these last 2 services, the following were changed - Engine oil - Brake oil - Clutch oil - Diesel filter - AC filter - Air filter - Gear oil (only in 130K kms).

Though money is not a concern, as I am getting it done at a very handsome discount than the ASC, and the FNG owner is a friend of mine, but:

- Do you all think, I can stretch these lube changes to every 15K kms OR

- Keep it as 10K kms. OR

- Do all these changes required at all in every 10K kms, as the manual says 20K kms for Engine oil, 40K kms for Brake oil etc etc.

But to keep the car happy and good, I can pre-pone the changes than the manual recommendations.

What are your take on it? Please share your views.
Old 7th June 2021, 13:17   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive Head View Post

What are your take on it? Please share your views.
I would suggest change Engine oil at 10k or even earlier. Stick to company specified intervals for the rest.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 15:56   #145
BHPian

For my 2006 Esteem, user manual recommends engine oil change at 1 year or 10,000km, which ever is earlier for its mineral oil. I used to change oil mostly(not always) at 5,000km/6 months service. Post covid, the car has barely ran 1,000 km in last 8 months after last oil change. I might even give the 1 year interval a miss as the car 'feels' just as smooth as it did right after oil change unless my usage picks up. Not sure if its a good idea. Odo stands at 1,14,xxx km.
Old 24th July 2022, 22:31   #146

Old 24th July 2022, 22:36   #147

Do you guys think driving in Indian conditions warrant a shorter oil change interval. Most manufacturers only recommend 10k/15k interval when operating under ideal conditions.
Old 26th July 2022, 14:12   #148
BHPian

What amount engine oil consumption is considered normal in a diesel engine?
I was speaking to a mechanic regarding the consumption and I was told that cars like Skoda Octavia and Hyundai Verna consume around 1 litre oil per 10000 kms.
Old 28th July 2022, 22:39   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntPaul View Post
For my 2006 Esteem, user manual recommends engine oil change at 1 year or 10,000km, which ever is earlier for its mineral oil. I used to change oil at 5,000km/6 months service.
Why ? If you trust a manufacturer enough to buy their car, why won't you trust the oil change interval they recommend? If they say 10K kms, it means that's the lower limit, not higher. Go by the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntPaul View Post
the car has barely ran 1,000 km in last 8 months after last oil change. I might even give the 1 year interval a miss as the car 'feels' just as smooth as it did right after oil change unless my usage picks up. Not sure if its a good idea. Odo stands at 1,14,xxx km.
Contrary to what you would read online, the heavens won't break down if you don't change the oil at 1 year even if the car had run just 1/10th of the kms for oil change. Take out the dipstick, check the oil level/colour/viscosity
& take a decision.

I have cars that run 10K kms annually & thus get oil changes yearly & others that barely do 2500kms & thus oil isn't changed annually. There is no behavioral difference between them in any way.
supremeBaleno is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 23:14   #150

Quote:
I have cars that run 10K kms annually & thus get oil changes yearly & others that barely do 2500kms & thus oil isn't changed annually. There is no behavioral difference between them in any way.
When it comes to oil changes, time intervals are more important than distance run. Oil breaks down and degrades over time. Doesn't matter if your car has done just 100km in a year, you MUST change the oil.
toyotafanboi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks