Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Your preferred oil change interval?
Whatever the manufacturer recommends 145 30.08%
5,000 - 7,500 kms 93 19.29%
7,600 - 10,000 kms 176 36.51%
10,100 - 15,000 kms 62 12.86%
Over 15,000 kms (seriously??) 6 1.24%
Voters: 482. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2015, 07:12   #61
BHPian

Re: What oil change interval do you adhere to?

Will a semi synthetic oil be good enough for 10000 kms? Maruti prescribes semi-synthetic for ertiga, swift with 10000 kms oil change interval.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd December 2015 at 09:48. Reason: Spacing
Old 3rd December 2015, 08:59   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think 10,000 kms is the sweet spot. Not too early, nor too late. I stick to 10,000 kms for a synthetic oil change on my cars. I don't use mineral oil, but if I did, I'd probably change earlier.
Quote:
I also change the Jeep's oil once a year although it touches nowhere close to 10,000 kms in that time.
So I take it from the above that it should be one year or 10,000 kms. Does this apply to both diesel as well as petrol engines or are these norms more advisable for a diesel engine?

Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 10:15   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
I check the oil at 8000 km. So far, I have always found the oil in the acceptable condition at 8000 km check.

Even at 10,000 km, the oil appears to be ok. But I do not take chance.
I hope you don't mean checking the oil with your fingers. That's a terribly unreliable, unscientific way of gauging the oil's health. I know a lot of mechanics do this too, but it's just rubbish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
I change the oil for my A-star once a year, that is also the only time that the car visits the service center in a year (for the last 5 years).
My cars also visit the workshop only once a year (no more, no less). It's at this time that I get everything done (including dent repair, detailing etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
The logic I follow i - they know their machine better than us.
As others have mentioned, manufacturer recommendations are dictated my marketing considerations too.

And if this was the case, I guess you are against upsizing tyres, headlamp bulbs etc. too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
the present XUV 500's, it is 20 k km without any time limit
20,000 kms! No way any of my cars are ever going to have the same oil in their veins for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Yes, it may extend the life of an engine from 3 lakh kms to maybe 4 or 5 lakh kms. But who even keeps their car for so long? Taxi drivers? Yes. Normal commuters? Handful.
That's like saying "I'm not going to live a 100 years anyway, so let me have all the junk food I can everyday".

A healthier engine means it'll also feel better at 100,000 kms than an unhealthy one. You just had to see the way my 1st-gen City Vtec revved at 75,000 kms. She was i-n-s-a-n-e.

When I sold my C220 with over 100,000 kms on the clock, the engine felt as good as new. Razor sharp throttle, same pickup as when new. Not tired at all. Mercedes then recommended 10,000 km intervals which I stuck to.

Therefore, even if you don't own a car till the engine wears out, a cared for engine will feel better for as long as you own it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
It says on pack 'synthetic technology' which is open for multiple interpretation in my opinion.
That is most definitely not synthetic oil. Indeed, a marketing gimmick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
I change mine at 7.5--8k kms on my GT TSI. Its synthetic, but due to the excessive redlining and general hooning, I keep the full service interval at 7.5--8k VS the 15k company schedule.
So agree to that! If you drive like an enthusiast, that's all the more reason to change the oil on time.

Quote:
My innova on the other hand that is the beater car is serviced every 10k (With mineral oil no less )
You sure about that? I thought the Innova has 5,000 km service intervals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
So our harsh conditions are already covered under the oil's capability(Internationally, the big 18 wheeler rigs using this oil maintain a drain interval of around 20K miles(~30K kms )which speaks volumes about the ability of this oil).
30,000 kms of driving on American freeways or the Autobahn at a consistent speed is perhaps less stressful on the engine than 10,000 kms in Mumbai city.

Quote:
Used oil being harmful to the environment, it makes sense to extract the maximum out of the oil before discarding it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuiser View Post
Stick to the manufacturer's recommendation- it is safe, economical and environment-friendly.
I could counter that by saying, a healthier engine will pollute lesser.

Plus, used engine oil is reused in India for a variety of lubrication purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
On my new petrol City, the service interval is hilarious. It's 6 months or 10k km! I mean what were they smoking when they made this!
Total rip-off! It should have been 10k / 1 year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by globemaster View Post
I was told by my ASC that the OEM oil for the diesel City is fully synthetic variety. However it costs 1300 for 4 litres. Is this okay?
325 for a fully synthetic at an authorised dealer? No way. That's not fully synthetic motor oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdeepudev View Post
Voted for 5000- 7500 km.

Reason: I own a 2009 Fiat Linea MJD with 93,000km on the odometer which underwent an engine rebuild at 90,500km. I was sticking to the manufacturer recommended interval of 15,000 km or 1 year. But, this proved disastrous for me. In my opinion Selenia does not last for that Km as recommended, at least in our traffic conditions.Switched over to Shell Helix HX7 and is using that now.
An eye-opening post for many. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
However I do have a doubt for those who change the oil in 10K Kms if the recommended change is 15K. What do you do at the next scheduled service (in case it is every 15K Kms)?
If I owned a car with a 15k interval, I'd get the oil changed at my own cost at 7.5k kms (thus, keeping the intervals even). Have corrected the same in the opening post. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
Apart from holes in your wallet, is there a downside to changing the oil earlier than recommended (say as frequently as 5000 km)?
Loss of time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
So I take it from the above that it should be one year or 10,000 kms. Does this apply to both diesel as well as petrol engines or are these norms more advisable for a diesel engine?
I use synthetic and apply that to both, petrol & diesel cars.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 10:59   #64
BHPian

Quote:
I use synthetic and apply that to both, petrol & diesel cars.
Hi GTO,
Slightly off topic but can you please help me out here? Actually my Ecosport diesel is due for first service and the authorised local service center of Ford in my city is offering only "semi-synthetic" oil for my car. I tried to get in touch with customer care but due to floods in Chennai, the call center is closed. Can you please guide me what should I do in this case?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Shreyak.

Last edited by shreyak_ss : 3rd December 2015 at 11:01.
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:01   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope you don't mean checking the oil with your fingers. That's a terribly unreliable, unscientific way of gauging the oil's health. I know a lot of mechanics do this too, but it's just rubbish.
Agreed.

I generally check the smell of the oil. It tells something about the condition.
The new oil possesses a distinct smell. The smell changes as the oil condition deteriorates.

To check the oil condition in my profession (for some machines having 200 lit to 1200 lit oil tank), we test the Acid Number, particulate matter content and moisture content. And instead of changing the oil purely on the basis of hour meter, we use to change looking at these properties.

Over the years, by observation, we also learnt to co-relate the oil condition (and the test results) to the oil color and odor. We still get the oil tested (considering the large quantities involved) but anyway the oil color and the odor tells us the beforehand if the oil is due for replacement.

We also learnt to check the moisture presence in the oil by placing a drop of oil on a hot pan (160 deg C) and observing the crackle. The moisture of even 0.1% makes the oil crackle.

We do this all for the hydraulic oil (ISO VG 46 or 68) and the transmission oil (Castrol ATF Dex II or Castrol ATF TQ; both are AT fluids) that are used by our clients in their machinery.

I change the oil myself in our three scooters. I buy the oil for the car and get it changed in my presence. With my observation of smell and color in last 3-4 years, I just check at 7000 - 8000 km if the oil smells punjunt or if the oil is too dark or if the oil is thinner compared to the new oil.

The difference is small but noticeable between 7-8000 and 10000 km. Once (in the year 2008), I had changed the engine oil in my Maruti 800 after around 12000 km ! The difference of smell and color was considerable though the engine did not make any complaints during the next 3 years of service till I sold the car.

So, the check at 7000-8000 km is just to make sure that oil does not need premature replacement. At 10,000 km (which is the prescribed oil change interval for my car), I surely change the oil.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:06   #66
Senior - BHPian

A decade earlier, 'most' cars had 'manufacturer recommended' oil change intervals of 5K or six months (with mineral oil). Even when synthetic oil companies claimed a life of 10K / 1 year for their oils, people still changed oil at 5K, citing 'Indian harsh driving conditions'.

I guess Engine Technology hasn't changed much over a decade. Has Oil technology advanced so much in a decade so as to improve oil life to almost double? Am I missing something?

I change my oil (Mobil 1 synthetic) at 5K / six months. At times when I am too lazy and extend this to 6K (in 7 months), oil becomes real blackish and sticky (at least on my physical inspection). Am I being too paranoid by changing oil at 5K?

Last edited by jinojohnt : 3rd December 2015 at 11:18.
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:13   #67
BHPian

I voted for 7600- 10000.
As my car's running is on higher side, I change semi synthetic oil of my Swift ZDi at every 10000 kms during its schedule service, I find it pointless to stretch beyond this (barring the situation pointed out by veyronsupersprt. However, before this car I use to own 1st gen swift diesel, for which MSIL use to recommend mineral oil, for my piece of mind I use to change mineral oil every 5000 kms, as engine use to feel harsh and noisy if driven on same engine oil.
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:18   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
On my new petrol City, the service interval is hilarious. It's 6 months or 10k km! I mean what were they smoking when they made this! Clearly shows they want to earn money in service / labor charges.
On my '08 version City, the interval is 5k kms/6 months. So, you're still better off!
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:21   #69
Senior - BHPian

I make sure I change oils by 12-13K KMs everytime while using Full Synth oil. I can probably stretch it to 15K but feels comfortable changing bit earlier.
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:38   #70
J.Ravi

When the manufacturer/authorized service station says do this or that, they are criticized. When they recommend something good after intense R&D and field trials, relaxing certain norms that result in saving a few thousand rupees, again they are criticized! Strange.

Quote:
20,000 kms! No way any of my cars are ever going to have the same oil in their veins for so long.
Oops. The engine oil replacement in XUV 500 is 20 k km or one year, whichever is earlier. The service interval is 10 k km without any time limit. However, in case of my XUV 500, 20 k km were covered in just 9 months! Sorry for the goof up.

Quote:
And if this was the case, I guess you are against upsizing tyres, headlamp bulbs etc. too?
My XUV 500 has only add-ons like reverse camera and 3D Kagu Maxpider floor mats. I like my cars in stock form without upsizing tyres/headlamp bulbs, etc.
  (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:49   #71
BANNED

Quote:

So agree to that! If you drive like an enthusiast, that's all the more reason to change the oil on time.

You sure about that? I thought the Innova has 5,000 km service intervals?

The innova has a 5k checkup and 10k service interval. most owners skip the 5k eyewash and get the car serviced at 10k.
I don't drive or travel in that car

My TSi gets the spoiled German babe treatment, Full service at 8k and Air filter change at every 4k. (Underbody is washed every 5k along with the alignment,balancing and rotation.. Bloody apollos have cracks in them at 10k kms)
Old 3rd December 2015, 12:20   #72
BHPian

I drive a 12 year old Hyundai Elantra with 118k on the odo. I bought the car two and a half years ago with 67k on the odo. So, basically, by its 13th year the car will be driven more in 3 years than it was in the 10 years when someone else drove her. I have no clue as to what oil was used by the previous owners. Yes, owners. Gasp! Horror! Shock! I don't really bother as to how many prior owners a car had. What matters to me is how she drives.

Anyway. I use mineral oil, and change it every 5000km. I figure it is better to change oil more often than less often. Keeps things cleaner. Most of my commute is on the fabulous Outer Ring Road with speeds kept at a steady 80-120 kmph depending on the speed limits of that section. So, it is steady driving in very good conditions. Mineral oil works. Synthetic is overkill.

When I did the Bhutan trip, I switched to synthetic. 5500km in 17 days needed synthetic. A lot of driving was low-gear high-RPM driving on this trip. The conditions varied from 'ah, this is orgasmic!' to 'are you kidding me?'. By the time the trip ended, the car had consumed almost a litre of oil. Mineral oil would have been consumed a lot more. This may seem worrying, but for a 12 year old car with over a lakh on the odo it is acceptable. More so considering the kind of places the car took me.

My point: Horses for courses. No one prescription is good for all.
lucifer1881 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 13:19   #73
BHPian

The reason for the oil consumption most likely be because of the viscocity difference between syn and mineral oil.

The engine would have consumed less mineral oil during the trip IMO.

In a used engine, the walls to piston ring sealing usually is not a perfect seal due to wear and tear/scoring of the cylinders allowing the thinner viscosity syn oil to pass through to the combustion area.

I hope it makes technical sense. Of course - this is my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
When I did the Bhutan trip, I switched to synthetic. 5500km in 17 days needed synthetic. A lot of driving was low-gear high-RPM driving on this trip. The conditions varied from 'ah, this is orgasmic!' to 'are you kidding me?'. By the time the trip ended, the car had consumed almost a litre of oil. Mineral oil would have been consumed a lot more. This may seem worrying, but for a 12 year old car with over a lakh on the odo it is acceptable. More so considering the kind of places the car took me.

My point: Horses for courses. No one prescription is good for all.
ashpalio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 00:19   #74
BHPian

Just when this thread has come up, my Punto MJD 75 is due for her 15k service, the meter reads 15k as well and i have a few queries:

1. They have recommended change of all filters: oil, fuel, diesel, air & ac filter.- is replacing all of these necessary?

2. Oil change is imminent though it would would be good if someone can pls. recommend the type and brand of oil to opt for or should i go as per Fiat recommendation( i dont know what oil they use).

3. They have also added changing the coolant, disk break fluid, windscreen washer in their quotation sent to me , what exactly is necessary here , i know windscreen washer i may opt out since i have one at home.

4. Since i have alloys, they may not be able to align & balance it but is it absolute necessity to get it done since i am not facing any issues with either alignment or balancing. Also, is tyre rotation required at 15000 kms, if yes what should be the way to do it

5. Any other things i should be cautious about for this service.
Old 4th December 2015, 11:35   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post

1. They have recommended change of all filters: oil, fuel, diesel, air & ac filter.- is replacing all of these necessary?
Honestly you just need to change the Oil and Air filter. AC filter you can clean it with a blower if it's not very dirty.

Fuel filter is not a must and can be driven till 50,000 Km's without change if you trust your petrol bunk and do not have frequent highway runs with your car.

Quote:

2. Oil change is imminent though it would would be good if someone can pls. recommend the type and brand of oil to opt for or should i go as per Fiat recommendation( i dont know what oil they use).
Mobil is a very good brand but it's availability with the recommended grade is scarce in most cities. I'm not sure what is favourite among Fiat owners though.

Quote:

4. Since i have alloys, they may not be able to align & balance it but is it absolute necessity to get it done since i am not facing any issues with either alignment or balancing. Also, is tyre rotation required at 15000 kms, if yes what should be the way to do it
No, not required if you are not facing any problem. You can do all this after you go for a very long drive of 600 Kms or more. Surely you will have some alignment problems due to our roads, that time you can do the wheel rotation , alignment and wheel balancing.

Quote:

5. Any other things i should be cautious about for this service.
Like most service centers in India I think they will try to mint money from you as much as possible. So better equip yourself before hand what needs to be done and not and point blank be ready to tell them NO to their face.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed