Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2017, 17:44   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti SX4 ZDi: Experience with an engine rebuild at 70,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post
Well this comes as surprise to see so many SX4 being rebuilt in 80-100K mark. I own a SX4 diesel that has done 132k in the last 5 years and has seen more mountains than most SUVs. She still is going strong, came back from a delhi-manali-sojha trip yesterday and there seems to be no drop in power despite all this running, touchwood!
My experience is simple, use Mobil 0-40 from day one and system D on most refuels. Never exceeded the 10k service mark and let the engine warm up and turbo cool.
I hope to see 2L on this car given the trouble free nature the only issue i have faced is the syncro rings going bad twice. Once in warranty at 38k and once at 90k the rest is super reliable jap that does over night trips with females on national highways!
Agree with you adi_sun.

I have been using an SX4 VDi for the past 5 years, engine using only Mobil1 0w40 from Day 1.
Have clocked close to 90,000 km.
And I have driven up to 700 km in a day!

At 85,000 km I replaced the steering (gear) assembly, both lower arms and a couple of bearings in the gearbox.
(As I have advised elsewhere in the forum, the gearbox just cannot handle any extra torque from a remap!)

Touch wood, my engine is buttery smooth and does not sound like a regular DDiS - all credit to Mobil1!
I have driven my friends' Diesel SX4s that use semi-synthetic oil and the difference is remarkable!

After test-driving Brezzas and S-Crosses multiple times, I decided that it would be a 'down-grade' if I chose to change my vehicle!
It is truly one of the best and comfortable long-distance cruisers I have ever owned.

Though I do not claim an astronomical fuel efficiency, as long as I do not exceed 120 km/hr, I get a consistent 18 kmpl, without ever stressing the engine (lugging or over-revving)
Mileage within the city is anything between 13 - 15 kmpl.
In Bangalore, where traffic seldom moves, these figures are of course, only of academic interest!

With 205/60 R16 Bridgestone Potenzas on MGP 16" alloys, the road grip, ride and handling are phenomenal!
And the back seat? It just lulls one to sleep!

When the Ciaz was launched I had exclaimed that 'alas, the men will not be back'. I stand by that statement!
The SX4 with its 180 mm ground clearance is one hell of a tough vehicle!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 1st January 2017 at 17:45.
cpbopanna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 17:50   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Agree with you adi_sun.

At 85,000 km I replaced the steering (gear) assembly, both lower arms and a couple of bearings in the gearbox.
[i](As I have advised elsewhere in the forum, the gearbox
Could not agree more, how much did the steering rack cost? Mine is noisy too on a bad patch of road.
Somehow Ciaz, Vitara are not equally built. The seat are now thin and the ride is not at par.
adi_sun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 17:59   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
(As I have advised elsewhere in the forum, the gearbox just cannot handle any extra torque from a remap!)
Have you remapped SX4 diesel? My SX4 has been remapped by 3 tuners till date . Car has run 1.2 lakh KM now. I had major warranty replacements like Turbo, gearbox. Remember, all this happened when the car was still running on stock map.

Post first remap by Pete's, ODO was around 80K KM..Engine had to be opened up and piston rings were changed. I really do not know if remap was the culprit, but it happened 10 days post remap.

Quote:
After test-driving Brezzas and S-Crosses multiple times, I decided that it would be a 'down-grade' if I chose to change my vehicle!
It is truly one of the best and comfortable long-distance cruisers I have ever owned.
Fully agree with you. S-Cross is the actual replacement for SX4 globally. But, Where did that handling and superb braking of SX4 disappear?
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 18:04   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post
Could not agree more, how much did the steering rack cost? Mine is noisy too on a bad patch of road.
Somehow Ciaz, Vitara are not equally built. The seat are now thin and the ride is not at par.
The steering box assembly cost Rs. 30k (part cost alone).
And yes, whilst on it, I replaced the timing chain (the labour cost is more than that of the part), front brake caliper assemblies, stabilizer bar bushes/mounts, overhauled the entire gearbox, replaced all lubricants, renewed the rear brakes.
In fact I went the whole hog - including interior and exterior cleaning.

The total bill came to a whopping 90k [I believe in the simple concept of replacing (malfunctioning/damaged) parts that I am not comfortable with]!

My car is now good for another 90k to 100k km!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Have you remapped SX4 diesel? My SX4 has been remapped by 3 tuners till date . Car has run 1.2 lakh KM now. I had major warranty replacements like Turbo, gearbox. Remember, all this happened when the car was still running on stock map.

Post first remap by Pete's, ODO was around 80K KM..Engine had to be opened up and piston rings were changed. I really do not know if remap was the culprit, but it happened 10 days post remap.

Fully agree with you. S-Cross is the actual replacement for SX4 globally. But, Where did that handling and superb braking of SX4 disappear?
No, I have not remapped my SX4, I just wanted to keep at least my car stock!
My Jeep runs on a Race Chip Pro 2; just hope the NEF 2.5 CRDe and NGT 530 are rugged enough to take it!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 1st January 2017 at 18:23.
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 15:42   #35
BHPian

Completed 110000 kms. 40000 kms after the rebuild. There is an engine check light due to a glow plug failure. The technitian's couldn't remove it. So decided to leave it as such. Applying excesive force could damage the thread of the glow plug.Otherwise car is going fine. Did service and changed engine oil, oil filter, air filter, diesel filter, coolant , brake fluid, cabin ac filter. This time used Amsoil 5w40 engine oil. Appears to be as smooth as Mobil delvac 1. Bought it from Amazon India. Cost was 2700 Rs for 3.78 litre can.Measured the drained oil. Oil consumption was about 90 ml per 1000 kms.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti SX4 ZDi: Experience with an engine rebuild at 70,000 kms-photo_20180121_151459.jpg  

Maruti SX4 ZDi: Experience with an engine rebuild at 70,000 kms-photo_20180121_151447.jpg  

Maruti SX4 ZDi: Experience with an engine rebuild at 70,000 kms-photo_20180121_1514372106x3744.jpg  

fireblade007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 16:49   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade007 View Post
There is an engine check light due to a glow plug failure. The technitian's couldn't remove it. So decided to leave it as such. Applying excesive force could damage the thread of the glow plug.Otherwise car is going fine.
I have got all 4 glow plugs changed under warranty. After warranty period, one glow plug failed again. But the service guys were not able to remove and even broke it. It was replaced when engine was opened up for repair.
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:53   #37
BHPian

My car is due for its service, its close to 96k and the last service was done at 90k wherein i replaced the timing chain, oil,oil filter etc.I believe they used castrol 5w40 and i dont want to wait till 10k service interval, i would prefer replacing a few thousand kilometers before hand.Now am wondering what oil should i buy for the upcoming oil change, should i replace with Mobil MGDO,or mobil delvac 1 or any other recommendations? My car does about 80 kilometer's a day and i like to keep it in top condition considering my sudden outstation plans that my work demands.

Would appreciate suggestions
Old 23rd January 2018, 16:06   #38
BHPian

Scorpio, Mobil Delvac 1 is a good oil. It is full synthetic. Mobil MGDO is semi synthetic usually.Which ever oil you use, you should check the dipstick once in 500 kms atleast. I had to top up about 400 ml oil during the last 8000 kms. But while topping you should be careful to not overfill as overfilling can do damage in deisel engines. Maruti aftersales usually doesn't recommend topping up by customer because of the risk of overfilling. So never mention that you topped up the engine oil at Maruti service centres if you are in warranty period.

Last edited by fireblade007 : 23rd January 2018 at 16:08.
fireblade007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 22:33   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
My car is due for its service, its close to 96k and the last service was done at 90k wherein i replaced the timing chain, oil,oil filter etc.I believe they used castrol 5w40 and i dont want to wait till 10k service interval, i would prefer replacing a few thousand kilometers before hand.Now am wondering what oil should i buy for the upcoming oil change, should i replace with Mobil MGDO,or mobil delvac 1 or any other recommendations? My car does about 80 kilometer's a day and i like to keep it in top condition considering my sudden outstation plans that my work demands.

Would appreciate suggestions
Scorpian, I am a fan of Mobil1 0w40 having used it from day one. But I guess switching-over to Mobil1 this late may not really help, you might as well use Mobil Delvac 1!
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 18:26   #40
BHPian

Hi

I am running sx4 vxi 2009 model(petrol/cng). Car has done 1,40,000km and car’s comfort and pickup is still great (even in CNG that was installed in MASS on the day of car pickup).
Car is still running on stock gearbox and no changes to engine yet.
Only one concern, that started few years ago. I can not switch on AC in mountains while gaining height. With AC off, car is good. The moment i switch on AC, the engine power is almost dead.
Any ideas what could be the issue?

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks