Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2004, 21:59   #16
SLK
Senior - BHPian

ok, This is a WagonR... cramped engine LOL.

Since I waited 15 mins before starting the engine after the wash I had no problems.

Also I washed the engine when it was relatively cold, otherwise I don't think its a very good idea to put cold water on the boiling engine.
Old 6th September 2004, 22:32   #17
SLK
Senior - BHPian

ok Guys... see this....

Our 800's Engine

Alto's

And.... The winner is.... obviously!
THE WAGON R
Old 7th September 2004, 11:26   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

Last time i forgot to do that, the car sort of stalled for a sec, would engine brake when i pressed the accelerator and sounded as if it was a tractor engine.
Shantanu, that sounds terrifying. Are you sure that there wasnt any kind of permanent damage?

GTO
Old 7th September 2004, 12:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Shantanu, that sounds terrifying. Are you sure that there wasnt any kind of permanent damage?
Nope the prob was just for a few secs. The moment it happened, i stopped the car at the side of the road and idled it till it came back to normal.

I've seen the service centers do this here, they wash the engine with water and then leave it on for some time, as the heat builds up you can see steam coming from the engine bay, just keep it on until all the steam is gone.

Regards...
Shan2nu

Old 7th September 2004, 13:03   #20
Team-BHP Support

using air to blow dry is the best option, a vaccum cleaner is good enough, just use the exhaust end of the machine.

its better to start the engine after for a while leaving the bonnet open, so that the the water evaporates off and not get condensed inside the other parts inside the hood..

and engine sounding like a tractor, is this an injector issue, The Honda 1.3 at home has this issue once in a while during morning starts and i have recomended using IFTEX to bro

wont recomend pouring water on a HOT engine for two reasons, one it can cause personal injury with boiling water falling on your hands and stuff, two something like cracked exhaust manifolds can also happen (though slim)

hey forgot to tell one more trick, in summer when its the dust that collects most in the engine bay, u can always use the vaccum cleaner blow option on weekends to clear off without much strain

Old 7th September 2004, 13:30   #21
Team-BHP Support

The best way I've found of keeping the engine bay clean is to hose it down, not with a pressure hose, but a regular garden hose or somehting similar. Use some diesel for the greasy bits and make sure you wrap your electricals with plastic before.

After you finish washing and drying, ALWAYS spray the joints and other part liberally with WD40 to keep the moisture away.

I remember once with my old Astra, the Fortpoint dealer at Bombay Central pressure washed the engine bay only to find the car refusing to start after that. They tried everything, using compressed air to dry it but nothing worked. The problem was traced to water getting into the TPS. This was changd for free ofcourse! Taught them a lesson for sure!

Rt
Old 7th September 2004, 14:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

hey Slk ,

man that alto's engine looks as if u have just driven thru a sandstorm with the bonnet open !!

cheers
Old 7th September 2004, 15:37   #23
Team-BHP Support

Hey SLK,

If your still skeptical about using water, just go ahead with pressurized air at a pump.....this should do the trick, expecially since your engines just look dusty...and not oily, mucky or grimey.

cheers
R
Old 7th September 2004, 17:35   #24
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (normally_crazy @ Sep. 07 2004,13:13)]hey Slk ,

man that alto's engine looks as if u have just driven thru a sandstorm with the bonnet open !!

cheers
Old 8th September 2004, 00:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]If your still skeptical about using water, just go ahead with pressurized air at a pump.....this should do the trick, expecially since your engines just look dusty...and not oily, mucky or grimey
absolutely. plain pressurised air will do the trick !!

cheers
Old 8th September 2004, 16:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

hey v12,

here is the pic of my engine taken today morning..

cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks