Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice of accelerator?
Organ-type 228 69.94%
Suspended 98 30.06%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2016, 12:26   #76
BHPian

Re: What type of Accelerator pedal do you prefer - Organ vs Suspended?

Voted for the organ type. I have used it on a BMW 3 series and its very convenient to use. You can rest your foot at an angle comfortable to you and floor it as much needed. I personally found this better in flooring the pedal too. I find flooring the suspended pedal a little less straightforward.
Old 25th February 2016, 15:27   #77
BHPian

In my humble opinion, i guess most of the advanced driving techniques like heel-toe shifts, left foot braking were conceptualized keeping in mind an organ type A-pedal.

I have been experimenting with these techniques and in a floating pedal setup even with my size 11 foot, i find it quite difficult to execute the heel-toe down shifts. What i do instead when i drive a floating pedal setup is, i use a 50-50 split of my foot to tackle both the brake and accelerator pedal, which again is pretty risky since there is always a possibility that the foot might slip off one of the pedals.

Same thing goes for left foot braking since in a floating setup its very easy to hit the wrong pedal when you are running through your paces.

Another thing i observed is that with a floating type setup once has to move the legs more since your foot has to either travel with the pedal or once has to slip his foot over the pedal with increase input.
But with an organ type setup your foot always rests on the pedal and firmly anchored to the floor and with the correct seating position once just needs to flex his ankle to dial in the inputs.

Hence having driven both types of pedal setups , as per my personal observations and preferences , i have voted for the organ type pedal setup.
adneo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 15:12   #78
BHPian

Organ type all the way, had it on the civic and it was perfect, now since i drive a city i miss it :(
Old 29th February 2016, 16:01   #79
BHPian

I remember the old Omni that my father had, it had the Organ type accelerator. It was so easy and natural. Then he bought 800 that had Suspended accelerator. It was weird. I had to force my foot on it, at times with toes, before getting used to it.

Voted for Organ type. This is how accelerators should be.
Old 26th July 2021, 17:35   #80
BHPian

I am sorry for bumping thread but I have a question, can I change suspended type pedal to organ type pedal?

I couldn’t find any instances on the internet, maybe somebody here knows any such case or whether it is possible to do so?

After driving skoda laura with a organ type pedal, I am not able to get used to suspended type pedal on other cars.
Old 27th July 2021, 12:53   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Voted for Suspended type due to following reasons
1. Better modulation of pedals when compared to Organ type. Used to drive an MPFI Omni before and although good on highways was a pain when switching between pedals
2. better reaction time when reaching for brakes. (explained below)

Generally I place my heel in front of the brake pedal and use it to pivot my foot slanting towards the accelerator so that ball of the foot rests on the pedal. This arrangement helps me in modulating the accelerator and brake pedal (equally important in stop-go conditions) and also switch quickly between them (just need to pivot back my feet towards brake). I need not lift my legs from the accelerator pedal to brake which would be case in case of organ type.
Now most would agree that after long period of rest when your feet is on accelerator lifting you legs (involving your knees) to reach the brake pedal could take some time and might not help in modulating your brakes unless you are braking in panic.
I was about to post this very response, almost word-for-word! I have extensive experience with both types and my preference (for the eact reasons you outlined) has always been suspended.

Also, the way I sit (lowest position like in a go-kart), my feet are almost vertical andnot at an angle. This makes the organ pedal difficult because my foot has to be at an unnatural angle, causing pain in my ankle.

Even with the oran pedal, what I do is what you do. Heel on the floor in front of the brake pedal, foot angled toward the go-pedal such that I am operating it with my toes somewhere in the bottom half of the pedal. This does give me better modulation than the normally accepted position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Given my height and body type, I have always found the suspended type accelerator pedal most comfortable for all purposes.

Having said that, when it comes to heel-toe, the good ole Ambassador had the perfect pedal arrangement with a suspended accelerator pedal!! See this pic:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...y-mds_6426.jpg

You could brake with the ball of your foot (conventional heel-toe) or, alternatively, press the brake with the heel and accelerator linkage rod with the toe! Both gave fine degrees of control over accelerator and brake input. Amazing it was!
And I was about to use the Amby as an example too for my above reason. I find that among all the vehicles I have driven, the Amby has the best go-pedal - just large enough to fit my big toe. No "pedal", just a button the size of a large eraser. Very easy to do "big-toe-small-toe" instead of "heel and toe" - big toe on the brake and small toe on the accelerator.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 13:02   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Wanted to vote for Organ type pedal. Messed up, and voted for suspended pedal instead. . Mods, please help!!!

Reason for reviving an old thread, drove a friend's Q3 inside the city. First thing I noticed was the accelerator pedal felt so natural. Aah, yes. Organ type pedal. Didn't find it difficult to modulate for city traffic. So guess, it would work perfectly for the long highway runs.

Our Omni had them, and I remember the W126 and some old high end Toyotas having them. Read they were more ergonomic, but then, waited till I personally used them to vote in this poll.
Old 28th December 2021, 20:23   #83
BHPian

I find the organ type uncomfortable in my 3 series and even my jetta previously more strain on my ankle. While its more comfortable on my seltos. And space between the accelerator and brake pedals is very less so cant drive wearing a crocs.
Old 15th January 2022, 10:40   #84
BHPian

IMHO both are OK. The Organ type gives better control for a more upright seating position. You can sort of lean into the pedal and operate it. The other one is suitable for a more relaxed seating position wherein you are pushing the pedal into the wall rather than pressing it into the floor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks