Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice of accelerator?
Organ-type 228 69.94%
Suspended 98 30.06%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2016, 13:28   #61
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What type of Accelerator pedal do you prefer - Organ vs Suspended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Could someone tell me the use of that mini pedal seen in the first picture.
Handbrake pedal. Lots of Mercedes have it that way. Push with leg to engage, pull another lever with your hand to disengage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Did the Padmini have an organ type or a pedal that went through the floor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
If I remember correctly the Premier Padmini, at least the column shifter, had not just the accelerator but the brake and clutch pedals too on the floor.
Two pedals pushed into the floor .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Future, drive-by-wire technology, can enable the use of organ type pedals for all three ABC.

Is Drive - by - wire practical for use in B and C pedals?
I think the clutch pedal is anyway dead with AT dominating future cars. If you have to make the clutch a drive-by-wire, why not get an AMT?

Personally though, I'd prefer a mechanical clutch & brake pedal. For feel and for precision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
Just a thought here, why can't the clutch and brake pedals be over-servoed to manage the additional effort needed?
Many manufacturers already have super-light clutch pedals.

Over-servoed brakes suffer from unintentional emergency braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
But the seating position also comes into play. The Laura/Yeti with a higher seating position have a better comfort level with the Organ type
I think it's the overall ergonomics. My Civic & 530d both have low seating. Yet the ergonomics (including organ-type accelerator) are just spot on. It's a craft...amazing how some manufacturers hit that sweet spot in driving positions.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 15:52   #62
BHPian

I drive an Octy which has suspended accelerator. But I wished it had the organ type.. why? here is why.. My right ankle underwent two surgeries; one to fix ankle fracture by installing implants and then again to remove them. The range of motion for my right leg is lesser as compared to my left ankle. Although I don't feel any strain in my ankle while driving Octy, i do however feel that my ankle is comfortable while driving my brother's Elantra that has the organ type. somehow I can feel there is a difference.

So my pick is Organ just purely based on what I personally experienced in relation to my right ankle's situation.
Old 20th February 2016, 20:16   #63
BHPian

Anybody remember the accelerator "pedal" on old (1980 and older) Ambys? It was the suspended type and the contact area was a small square about 1.5" x 1.5". A few of the many drivers we went through used to drive barefoot and use only the right big toe to press on the accelerator
Old 20th February 2016, 22:27   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Two pedals pushed into the floor .

Exactly ! GTO, the pic you shared shows a decent setup. Like Saket says in the next post, we could even see the road when we pressed the pedals

This could possibly qualify as a third type. Rudra had this type in his other black-beauty, which were swapped for the suspended type.

Last edited by condor : 20th February 2016 at 22:55.
Old 20th February 2016, 22:48   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Exactly ! This could possibly qualify as a third type. Rudra had this type in his other black-beauty which were swapped for the suspended type.
Haha. I remember our 1100D's clutch and brake pedals. Could you believe that there were 2 holes in the floor from where I could literally see the ground! Besides that they also made way for occasional splash of water to come into the cabin during the rainy days when the front right wheel went into a water filled puddle!

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 23:59   #66
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the organ type, After having used both, The organ type feels much better specially in the traffic or even while sometimes when you have to hold the car steady on a hill, I feel its much easier with the organ type pedal, Also requires less effort from your feet, Since you can always rest your feet on the floor while operating the pedal.
Old 21st February 2016, 09:14   #67
BHPian

I think basically it depends on what type of pedal you are accustomed to. I learned driving in a car with suspended pedals and subsequently drove 2 cars with similar pedals for more than 6 years. But now driving a car with organ type pedal. I find the latter one more soft, smooth and very comfortable for motorway cruising. But since I did majority of my driving in suspended type, initially I felt the organ type difficult to modulate. Now I can control it better, still I sorely miss my old car with suspended pedals.. So I voted for it
Old 21st February 2016, 09:17   #68
BANNED

I prefer suspended for the simple reason, they are less prone to water and dust ingestion into the car. Organ type (a la good 'ol Amby aka Inverted Bathtub) used to always allow some water leakage when wading through water.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd February 2016 at 16:56. Reason: Typo (dist > dust).
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 19:29   #69
BHPian

Organ type any day.

While it is also good for the feet on long distance, I feel it allows for much better control over suspended ones.

Learnt driving in Omni which had organ type and it was much better. I get severe pain after I complete a long distance journey, say 400 KMs at a stretch with couple of breaks. The suspended needs to be better placed for ergonomic comfort.

BTW Is there any cost difference between oragn type and suspended type? Why cars don't have oragn type now???
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:41   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

The organ type is a little tricky if you are not having enough legroom. In contrast, the suspended type works for me since I usually drive with a light foot. It lets me control by the tip of my leg and a slight tap is always involves lesser motion compared to the organ.

However, one condition is that the suspended pedal must not be too highly placed. Else it will make resting the foot a pain. In both my cars I have very well placed A pedal which has never been a problem.

The organ type IMO is more suited for pedal to metal style driving since I have tried the omni and the civic and its difficult to give slight inputs. But the feeling you get when you floor the organ type pedal is something different though
Old 22nd February 2016, 16:48   #71
BHPian

Voted for the Organ type.
My Fiat Punto has a suspended pedal which I feel is too high. Over long drives this results in pain in the area below the ankle which is stuck in a weird angle.
I have been contemplating some kind of DIY hack which will increase the floor height where I keep my foot to make the setup more comfortable.
Old 22nd February 2016, 17:34   #72
Senior - BHPian

I personally prefer the organ type myself, but if someone is driving an organ type pedal for the first time they might feel a little unsettled.

My jeep however has a suspended accelerator and organ type (if you can call it that, more like floor mounted) clutch and brake pedals. I feel the clutch and brake must be suspended and not floor mounted. I sometimes get a bad pain in my left knee from operating the heavy clutch in the jeep, on the other hand my duster which has a similarly heavy clutch is easier on my knees as it has a suspended pedal arrangement.
Old 23rd February 2016, 11:39   #73
BHPian

Don't have much experience on the organ type accelerator - except for a couple of hours on a Mahindra CL Jeep and a Leyland Cheetah. Felt it practical on the bus as it aids in starting up from gradients with the organ type brake pedal contributing.

Have voted for the suspended type mainly because of the ease of maintaining the foot board region.
Old 23rd February 2016, 11:56   #74
Senior - BHPian

Long drives are pleasurable with organ type pedals. Less wear on the ankle and I've personally experienced pain free driving. I'm so thankful for the cruise control on the Lodgy as it takes the pain away from depressing a suspended pedal. Constant pressure on the suspended pedal leaves me with a sore ankle that almost gives a limp when I walk after a drive. Bit embarrassing to say the least! Now, cruise control takes care of that, but, ideally, organ type is my favourite. Wish it was the bog standard across manufacturers.
Old 23rd February 2016, 12:02   #75
BHPian

Voted for the Organ type. I guess this should help modulation better, be gentler on the foot and easier to 'floor it'. I was quite disappointed when the Octavia 3 came with the suspended ones, while the Laura had the organ type.

BTW would like to have a kind of kit, DIY or mechanic fitted to replace the suspended pedal on my Octavia I to the Organ accelerator.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks