Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2016, 14:41   #76
BHPian

Re: A case of unreliable Volkswagen Ventos (2010 - 2012)

Reading through the horror stories on this thread, I'd almost given up on the VW Polo GT TSI. And then I came across the 2015 JD Powers IQS which offers some comfort. How reliable is this study ?

http://india.jdpower.com/press-relea...tudy-iqs-study
Attached Thumbnails
A case of unreliable Volkswagen Ventos (2010 - 2012)-jdp-iqs.jpg  

Kings_Wit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 15:17   #77
Team-BHP Support

EGR failures seem to be a very common occurrence on the 1.6 TDi engines worldwide as well:

1) http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...e-failed/page1

2) http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...t-golf-1-6-tdi
Old 21st March 2016, 15:56   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings_Wit View Post
Reading through the horror stories on this thread, I'd almost given up on the VW Polo GT TSI. And then I came across the 2015 JD Powers IQS which offers some comfort. How reliable is this study ?

I'm seeing some really interesting results from their studies.

For example, their 2015 India Vehicle Dependability Study (link):

A case of unreliable Volkswagen Ventos (2010 - 2012)-jdpow.png

They define overall dependability rating as such:

Quote:
Taken from Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS), which looks at owner-reported problems during the first 3 years of new-vehicle ownership, this score is based on problems that have caused a complete breakdown or malfunction of any component, or feature, or item (i.e., components that stop working or trim pieces that break or come loose).
Horizon81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 21:37   #79
BHPian

Quote:

The Study does not look really reliable, reasons are in the sample size.

As per their own site
"The 2015 India Initial Quality Study (IQS) is based on evaluations from 8,438 vehicle owners who purchased a new vehicle between November 2014 and July 2015. The study includes 69 vehicle models from 17 makes. The study was fielded from May 2015 to September 2015 in 30 cities across India."

The sampling is not even, meaning if PP100 has to be uniformly assessed, either study 100 of each model, in this case should have resulted in studying 6900 cars, as 69 models are part of study.
Or the sample size should have been larger to something like 500 cars of each model. 8438 cars for 69 models is telling me that there have been several selective omission to make some of the models better or worst.

If we wish to get distribution of sampling across multiple cities, the sample size should have been even bigger.

My personal opinion, take this study and results with a bucket or two of salt
CarJunki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 22:29   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Quick question - DO Skoda Rapid folks face same issues? Have not seen anything from them
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I saw atleast one report from a Rapid TDI user having similar problems in the Vento official review thread.
I have a Rapid 1.6 TDI which will complete 3 years this month. It's done 31 K kms and thankfully I have not had any issues. My brother has an old Yeti that's done 1.5 L kms with no major issues. However his wife's Polo Diesel has given a lot of trouble.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 02:33   #81
BHPian

I can very well relate to the issues being discussed here.

I have been stranded twice on the highways with the injectors failing midway. I really had to fight with the Skoda people to get them to change all four injectors after the second failure which they were reluctant to do. They have adopted the theory of wait and watch.

I am sure there would be numerous such failures and the dealerships would be taken them for a ride as these people wouldn't be aware of this inherent defect in the parts.

In that sense, I feel Japanese are way ahead and enjoy an edge as they openly do recalls and get the defects attended to rather than leaving the cars vulnerable.
torque18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 09:37   #82
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 31st March 2016 at 17:48.
vamsi2390 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th April 2016, 00:55   #83
Senior - BHPian

Question - is a late 2013 or early-mid 2014 Vento TDI with low running worth looking at? Did they manage to sort out all the gremlins by then? Some of these are available still under extended warranty, so those would be ideal, but even if there's no warranty....? Buy or no buy?
Old 14th April 2016, 01:33   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
I have been stranded twice on the highways with the injectors failing midway.
In that sense, I feel Japanese are way ahead and enjoy an edge as they openly do recalls and get the defects attended to rather than leaving the cars vulnerable.
I completely agree that the Japanese cars are absolutely far more reliable than their german counterparts. As a Honda owner, i have never been stranded till date due to a mechanical failure or a breakdown (touch wood).The germans make great cars, in terms of build quality and other gizmos, no question there, however what's the point of buying a car that feels solid in terms of build, only to breakdown with little or no warning, leaving its owners stranded in the middle of the road!?

NOTE:By german cars, in this scenario, i am referring to VW's and Skoda's
No offence meant to any owners.
Old 14th April 2016, 12:33   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Question - is a late 2013 or early-mid 2014 Vento TDI with low running worth looking at? Did they manage to sort out all the gremlins by then? Some of these are available still under extended warranty, so those would be ideal, but even if there's no warranty....? Buy or no buy?
Late 2013 is when the well-known injector failures were fixed.
I too am looking out for pre-worshipped Ventos amongst other cars in the same price range and have found that buying a Vento off VW's used car arm (Das Welt Auto) would be the best bet.

I say this because cars from DWA would cost a little more, but would come with a 5 year warranty from VW itself. Seems like a better bet don't you think?

Cheers !

Sundar
Old 14th April 2016, 12:50   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The graph is meaningless for most folks because of the below reason:

Quote:
Taken from Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS), which looks at owner-reported problems during the first 3 years of new-vehicle ownership, this score is based on problems that have caused a complete breakdown or malfunction of any component, or feature, or item (i.e., components that stop working or trim pieces that break or come loose).
Would you be as concerned with Reverse light failure as you would be with Auto transmission failure?
Old 14th April 2016, 12:58   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
Late 2013 is when the well-known injector failures were fixed.
I too am looking out for pre-worshipped Ventos amongst other cars in the same price range and have found that buying a Vento off VW's used car arm (Das Welt Auto) would be the best bet.

I say this because cars from DWA would cost a little more, but would come with a 5 year warranty from VW itself. Seems like a better bet don't you think?

Cheers !

Sundar
Would depend on how much of a premium I'm paying at DWA and what the 5 year warranty would cover. Sometimes the list of excluded items is longer than what's covered in these used car warranties! Would you happen to have more details on the coverage?
Old 14th April 2016, 14:16   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Would depend on how much of a premium I'm paying at DWA and what the 5 year warranty would cover. Sometimes the list of excluded items is longer than what's covered in these used car warranties! Would you happen to have more details on the coverage?
Will PM you the details if I do happen to get em...
MavericK46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 15:26   #89
BHPian

My VW Vento TDi Ownership Overview:
As ninjatalli mentioned, till the time I owned the car (83,000 kms) I never faced any issues with EGR, Injector or whatsoever. Its one of the best cars I've owned till date.

I never faced any issue with the dealer BUB also. Rather the SA knew my car and he was more prompt in servicing the car with extra care (May be this is due my rapport with him).
The only major expense in the service was a clutch overhaul(Due to my driving style plus I was putting up kms on the ODO very rapidly). Rather, I just had a word with the current owner (he is not a auto enthusiast), the car is still going strong with 1,00,000 kms plus with no issues. All he did was a service and a tyre change.

Its really unfortunate to see mariner facing these issues. I hope it gets resolved soon.

Take care of the car and it will take care of you.
mikon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 17:51   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
Its really unfortunate to see mariner facing these issues. I hope it gets resolved soon.

Take care of the car and it will take care of you.
What part of my ownership review did you feel implied that we didn't take care of the car? Shall I point you to countless international VW threads stating the exact same issues in the 1.6 TDI CR engines worldwide? Do they also fall in the same category who do not take care of the car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks