Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2018, 10:11   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Vento TDi - Engine problem

Reopening this thread as my car is on road waiting for assistance.
after 4 years of ownership, I faced the first Diesel engine pre-glow' symbol flashing issue last month. this was in the middle of drive from Bangalore to Chennai. Since there was no power loss or lag, I drove to destination and checked with VW Mount road service center, Chennai. The issue was identified as particles in air filter interfering with Mass Air Sensor. A clean up and reset & I was good to go. I complied for the dieselgate software update. Drove home a lesser Vento that day, hoping to do a remap soon.

Video link -

I had starting issues since then, couple of times in ~15 starts. With accelerator push I used to get going.

Today morning I had the similar issue and did manage to start but it was quite hard push. I guess turbo was not kicking for sometime. Got it moved from parking up the ramp about 300 meters and then stalled in the road. I noticed the following,

1. Lack of power(suspect breathing issues)
2. pre-glow MIL flashing
3. start failure (I don't think its dead battery, but gave no crank)

Yes, now I am left stranded with a start failure condition and looking for some reliable solid advise. This time I am not in haste, I can tow back to my parking. Please suggest on my next steps!
Old 26th February 2018, 10:58   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.nair View Post
I had starting issues since then, couple of times in ~15 starts. With accelerator push I used to get going.

Today morning I had the similar issue and did manage to start but it was quite hard push. I guess turbo was not kicking for sometime. Got it moved from parking up the ramp about 300 meters and then stalled in the road. I noticed the following
Can it be a dirty MAF sensor again as I am yet to replace the intake air filter and last service did not attend to MAF cleaning (to my eyes)? Will a DIY help as explained here - <http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/87939-diy-cleaning-your-maf-sensor-rs-120-a-5.html>
Old 26th February 2018, 15:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Today morning I had the similar issue and did manage to start but it was quite hard push. I guess turbo was not kicking for sometime. Got it moved from parking up the ramp about 300 meters and then stalled in the road. I noticed the following,

1. Lack of power(suspect breathing issues)
2. pre-glow MIL flashing
3. start failure (I don't think its dead battery, but gave no crank)

Yes, now I am left stranded with a start failure condition and looking for some reliable solid advise. This time I am not in haste, I can tow back to my parking. Please suggest on my next steps!
On occasion of my cousin’s marriage, we embarked into a week-long vacation starting from 23rd Feb. till 5th of March. Instead, I'm sitting in my office and typing this.
After travelling for 93kms away from Bangalore, I've seen "Glow plug indicator" blinking on my dashboard. Pulled over to the service lane: turned-off & on after couple of mins. Voila, its gone for good. After travelling for 2-3kms, it appeared again, pulled over again, this time it is definitely going to give up on me. Spoke to my SA: he confirmed something is wrong and I affirmed myself not to take any chances with family & kids getting stranded in middle of nowhere and took a U-turn and slowly reached TIN factory. Booked OLA, sent family, children & dumped all the luggage into the cab and set-off towards Electronic city.

All the while, "Glow plug indicator" was blinking, Engine Malfunction was always LIT. Got the car onto the lift and two lads quickly started inspecting the car. Found out a leaking “Turbo Hose” to be the culprit. Spare was quickly available over the counter and fixed. To confirm other checks, VAS system was connected hit another error of EGR Sensor went kaput and it costs 50K. to confirm that, the following Saturday day was completely spent to affirm the same with trail & error on the VAS system. Staff iterated as a common problem once the car reaches more than 80K Kms. This situation had NEVER occurred to me so far, for many kms.

The spare is not available over the counter and order was placed. May take at least a week or two for the spare to arrive. Welcome to VW/SKODA Family.

When this incident occurred, vehicle had clocked over 124382 kms. It was timely serviced at authorized service center. I've spent close to 47K for 120K kms service which is a major service. Again, I'm footing a bill close to 60K. The tires are screaming for a change.

Now the million dollar question comes to my mind: Whether to keep the car or sell it?
Ramsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 16:05   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
VAS system was connected hit another error of EGR Sensor went kaput and it costs 50K. to confirm that, the following Saturday day was completely spent to affirm the same with trail & error on the VAS system. Staff iterated as a common problem once the car reaches more than 80K Kms. This situation had NEVER occurred to me so far, for many kms.
EGR sensor costs 50K? Impossible. I think they are replacing the entire EGR system for 50K. Why don't you just get the remap done with EGR Off?
Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 17:40   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Found out a leaking “Turbo Hose” to be the culprit. Spare was quickly available over the counter and fixed. To confirm other checks, VAS system was connected hit another error of EGR Sensor went kaput
Just to update I'm still stranded, will pull car to parking tonight. towing to service center is insane as I'm 60km away & towing charges told to me by Roadside assistance(toll free) was @ Rs 4500 for 20 km.

So are you suggesting I check for bleeding hose? My battery is cold when cranking with just about 7 volts. Otherwise healthy at 12.5 amp.
Old 27th February 2018, 19:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
EGR sensor costs 50K? Impossible. I think they are replacing the entire EGR system for 50K. Why don't you just get the remap done with EGR Off?
A bunch of thanks to Dr.Naren & Rajiv. I vow both of you a treat for the help you guys you've done.
Rajiv had disabled the EGR Solenoid & went for a test drive. Acknowledged, there was no display of "Glow plug indicator" blinking on my dashboard.

I'm picking up my car tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Will certainly keep the forum updated.
Old 27th February 2018, 19:42   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A bunch of thanks to Dr.Naren & Rajiv. I vow both of you a treat for the help you guys you've done.
Haha!! I would wait for you to drive the car and confirm .

Quote:
Rajiv had disabled the EGR Solenoid & went for a test drive. Acknowledged, there was no display of "Glow plug indicator" blinking on my dashboard.
Rajiv told me that he has switched off EGR system in ECU map and there was no error code. Actually it did not make any sense to spend 50K and replace full EGR system for a car out of warranty. Now your engine would be happy too with EGR off .

Quote:
I'm picking up my car tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Will certainly keep the forum updated.
Please do. Also update if there is any difference in performance with EGR off. I believe there would be some improvement in half throttle.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 13:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Can it be a dirty MAF sensor again as I am yet to replace the intake air filter and last service did not attend to MAF cleaning (to my eyes)? Will a DIY help as explained here - <http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/87939-diy-cleaning-your-maf-sensor-rs-120-a-5.html>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Haha!! I would wait for you to drive the car and confirm .

Rajiv told me that he has switched off EGR system in ECU map and there was no error code. Actually it did not make any sense to spend 50K and replace full EGR system for a car out of warranty. Now your engine would be happy too with EGR off .

Please do. Also update if there is any difference in performance with EGR off. I believe there would be some improvement in half throttle.

I'm in the same situation today

This morning when turned the ignition key , the glow plug light started blinking and display went into SAFE mode.

Could it be the same EGR sensor issue.

I'm in total lockdown with no ASS available for another 10 days. Can someone assist me on how to shut off the EGR ? Just to let know I don't have VCDS.
Old 30th May 2021, 12:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padcot Prakash View Post
Could it be the same EGR sensor issue.
Only a VCDS Scan can confirm it after getting an error code.

Quote:
Can someone assist me on how to shut off the EGR ? Just to let know I don't have VCDS.
That will require a ECU remap which any engine tuner can do in your city.

Rather than replacing the EGR you can turn it off via ECU remap.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 13:15   #25
BHPian

It was the key fob.

It got damaged by water ingress and may be that's why the immobiliser got triggered and the ignition went into safe mode.

That I think inturn did not supply enough volts enough volts to the solenoid valve making glowplug light flash.

I changed the key fob and tried turning the ignition. It worked and no more glow plug lights flashing.

But now it makes me think , the car has clocked 150,000 kms and do I need to clean the EGR system completely. Feel the car is slightly sluggish with no smoke or no drop in fuel efficiency.
Old 26th September 2021, 11:42   #26
BHPian

If someone can help.
Yesterday , about 1 hour away from pune to Bangalore , the glow plug light started blinking and then the engine check light lit.

Drove to BU Bhandari at Wakad on slow speed with AC off. Checked on error at service centre and it was MAF. I saw the error on the screen my self . the guy removed the error and he said it was good to go until I reach Bangalore.

Now while I'm typing this , the glow plug light is blinking.

Is there anyway , I can clean the MAF now at satara or kolhapur ? I need some guidance for DIY , if anyone can assist.
Old 26th September 2021, 11:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Now while I'm typing this , the glow plug light is blinking.
Is there anyway , I can clean the MAF now at satara or kolhapur ? I need some guidance for DIY , if anyone can assist.
Both the VW Kolhapur and Satara showrooms are on the NH4. You could drive it till there or call the RSA for assistance if you are not confident of driving the car.

Last edited by nitkel : 26th September 2021 at 11:57.
Old 26th September 2021, 11:58   #28
BHPian

Ok. I think it will drive. No loss of power or anything unusual with the car , expect the flashing light. Will reach VW Kolhapur and show the vehicle at once.
I know it is the MAF sensor.
If someone can assist me locating the MAF for cleaning.
Old 31st October 2021, 19:21   #29
BHPian

Hi,
I own 1.6 petrol vento, I am getting EPC symbol in my vento, followed by engine shudder and very low pickup , also in each gear my vento shudders for some time and after pressing accelerator it's back to normal.

What would be the problem

Regards
Uday Desai
Old 7th November 2021, 00:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
Hi,
I own 1.6 petrol vento, I am getting EPC symbol in my vento, followed by engine shudder and very low pickup , also in each gear my vento shudders for some time and after pressing accelerator it's back to normal.

What would be the problem

Regards
Uday Desai
EPC would mean clogging of throttle system or sensors. It could be fuel pump too ? I'm not sure.

When you press the accelerator there is enough supply of fuel and hence it is normal then.
Padcot Prakash is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks