Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2006, 14:36   #16
DRC
BHPian

OK.. We are back to the wind shield problems.

First understand what those marks are. They could be streaks, or smears.
If they are streaks, then get the blades replaced. If it is smear, then, get the service guys adjust the wiper arms.

Best way to clean the wind shield is to spray generously the soap water (any good glass shampoo solution) and wipe it with a glass sqeezee. or a wiper blade. Later you can wipe of the remainants of water by a soft tissue. Remember the soft cloth work just fine, only issue is that the cloth leave the lint behind, which will fly away when dries up. Do not use news paper, they do scratch the glass finely. and eventually cause glare.

Let me ask you a couple of questions.. Did you ever use any anti-fog spays (Vista antifog, or rain X) on your wind shield? If so read below, else neglect.

These product work by manipulating the surface tension on the surface the water falls, Incedent water flows away and the do not abstruct view. These product work excellent during rain, and pain in the neck when not raining and night driving. They do cause glaring. Being a coat of some polymer, they easily aquire the irregularities if the paper, or cloth you use to clean and also that of the wiper.

When you have used this, and used the wipers eventually, the wiper strokes cause this layer of polymer to fade away, and on the other areas, the layer remains. So when you see the glass when raining, the area wiped by the wiper looks different from that of un wiped area. This problem will disappear gradually once the unwiped area looses its layer of rain-X due to its age and constant manual cleaning.

Happy windshield wiping.
Old 26th September 2006, 17:44   #17
BHPian

Wiper !!!

I too have the same problem with our Alto. It kind of has a curve across the right wiper which makes driving worse. On inspecting the blade of the wiper, i realize that there is a part on the wiper which is missing. Often heat n cold is the culprit. Blades tend to get brittle with high heat.

Now what I do is when it starts to rain, is wait for a while for the glass to get completely hit with rain, and then run the washer first, so that most collected dirt is removed off, then i run the wiper as required. So now, over the last one year, i notice that there have been no new missing parts on the rubber. Secondly, this also helps to wet the rubber wiper enough before it goes onto the glass.
Old 26th September 2006, 18:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

As others have said:
1. Clean wiper blades regularly also.
2. Replace wiper blades once a year - the rubber tends to become brittle in our climate.
3. Use lots of washer fluid whenever there is light rain or using the wipers the first time.
DRC is quite right too on the rain-x part. I stopped using it due to these problems.
Old 27th September 2006, 11:12   #19
BHPian

When I clean my car's windshield with a wet cloth, I see a long curved line (its almost the same path where the tip of the left wiper moves) where the water vanishes quickly. It remains the same even if I try cleaning it again. When the windshield is dry, its absolutely clean.
Has anyone else faced this kind of problem?
Old 12th August 2010, 21:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to dig a very old post!!!!

Even I am facing similar problems with my wipers of Figo! The car is just a month old and as discussed above it does not wipe properly (it used to before) but now it leaves trails of smears(?)! Please advise on what has to be done, I cleaned the blades and glass, but to no avail :(.

Last edited by anilisanil : 12th August 2010 at 21:05.
Old 12th August 2010, 21:56   #21

Hi Anil, Just go to Service station and ask them to check for any juddering issues with it. As you said it is just one month old car I prefer you to replace them under warranty if you are facing any problem with it.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Sorry to dig a very old post!!!!

Even I am facing similar problems with my wipers of Figo! The car is just a month old and as discussed above it does not wipe properly (it used to before) but now it leaves trails of smears(?)! Please advise on what has to be done, I cleaned the blades and glass, but to no avail :(.
The windscreen is not so cheap that it will get scratches with mere dust particles. Don't worry, there won't be any scratches.

Just wash the blades and clean it properly. Since it is a month old, it won't have worn off. Clean the wiper blade with the same fluid, will help.
Old 14th August 2010, 14:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

I got a nasty semi circular scratch on the windshield today morning when the wiper blade came off the arm and the metal ran on the glass surface.

I have spoken to one Busy Bee Lenses in Mumbai (9004446319) they say it can be removed, and the cost would be 1100 Rs and he will treat the entire glass so that any otherminor scratches would also be taken care of.

If any one has tried this type of a solution please provide me some feedback
Old 30th August 2010, 00:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Hi,
My Swift is 1 year old. Last few months I have noticed whenever I am driving in rain with my wiper on (at any speed) after some time the windshield gets prominent swiping marks. It makes driving very difficult specially at night. They look like a layer of deposits on the glass.
The marks go away if I clean the glass with a glass cleaning solution and a soft cloth. But reappears after some time of wiper use. Last time I was at the service station I asked the service engineer about it and he said he will check the wiper for aging. But after servicing he said the blades look ok.
I do not think they are scratches on the glass as the marks are totally invisible on a dry night even with glaring highbeams falling on it. They reappear only when wet and the wipers are running. In light rain if I do not use the wiper the marks are not visible.

I use a Johnsen's Year Round Windshield Washer Concentrate (Cleaner and Anti Freeze) diluted with regular drinking water in the windshield washer tank. I have also tried using regular car wash solution in the mix. Nothing works.

Can the experts suggest what is the problem and the solution to it?

Thanks in anticipation
Anirban
I have the exact same problem, can someone suggest a quick solution for this please.
As suggested I had changed the wiper blades to Bosch and still the problem persists :(
Old 30th August 2010, 01:22   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
The windscreen is not so cheap that it will get scratches with mere dust particles. Don't worry, there won't be any scratches.
Unfortunately, dust can contain particles that are harder than glass, and scratches do result.
Old 30th August 2010, 02:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Could you provide us with an update on the results achieved from your visit to 'Busy Bee Lenses'. If you could post before and after snaps that will be of immense help to all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I got a nasty semi circular scratch on the windshield today morning when the wiper blade came off the arm and the metal ran on the glass surface.

I have spoken to one Busy Bee Lenses in Mumbai (9004446319) they say it can be removed, and the cost would be 1100 Rs and he will treat the entire glass so that any otherminor scratches would also be taken care of.

If any one has tried this type of a solution please provide me some feedback
Old 30th August 2010, 03:02   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
I have the exact same problem, can someone suggest a quick solution for this please.
As suggested I had changed the wiper blades to Bosch and still the problem persists :(
I guess the problem is due to minute oil deposits from exhaust of other heavy vehicles. Using a good windshield washer fluid should solve the problem. Experts, please comment.
Old 30th August 2010, 05:12   #28
BHPian

Safety first: Get rid of those Wiper marks on your Windshield

For the benefit of a larger audience I am posting this as a seperate thread.
Moderators, please merge with any of the older threads if appropriate.
---------------------------------------------------

I recently purchased a pre-worshipped Lancer and the car turned out to be a real gem except for the windscreen. On the passenger side there is a narrow and prominent semi-circular scratch, possibly caused due to a broken wiper. On the drivers side there are super-fine scratches on the entire path of the wiper's swing. There super-fine scratches are not visible during daytime and thus no problem while driving. But at night, especially if it's raining and when there is a glare of the oncoming traffic, I noticed that the light spreads vertically in the entire swing area of the wiper. It looks something like this ...

.......lllll
......lllll
.....lllll
....lllll
.<<o>> .... light source
...lllll
..lllll
.lllll
lllll

Furthermore the vision is the worst when the wiper blade has just passed over the line of sight. This was a real hazard so I researched a lot on T-BHP and also on google but could not find a parmanent solution.

This is what I have tried in vain....
  1. Apply toothpaste, scrub scrub, wash .... no luck!
  2. Apply white veneger, scrub & wash .... no way!
  3. Changed wiper blades to Bosch .... felt like shaving with Gillette MACH3 Turbo but still a sucker.
  4. Sprinkled tobacco from a cigarette, scrub & wash... this helped 10
  5. Sprinkled "GAI chaap" tobacco , scrub scrub, wash... this helped 15%
Replacing the windshield costs 10K for the Lancer (glass + rubber beading + sealant + labour + 2 days of downtime) and there is always a risk of water leakage inside the cabin because you can never expect a factory finish job.

Finally I found a cost-effective solution yesterday. I found a glass polishing guy that came home and did the job. I voiced my apprehensions so he says "don't pay me if you are not satisfied" .....I said I will pay tomorrow since I need to convince myself tonight driving in the rain. He says no problem and starts working by applying a pinkish paste that is made of "Diamond dust". It's very costly he claims and is sourced from Surat and other diamond cutting centres. After 3 hours of hard-work with his buffing machine, he was done.

So at night I drove out in the rain and pleasantly surprised to find my vision to be perfect through the glass, no more wipe marks, no more squeaking wipers, no glare, the oncoming headlights are just 2 dots and not 2 big verticle lines. Its as good a a new glass. The next day I paid him 1800/- without bargaining. The guy confidently offered me 2 years warranty however he cautioned me about deep scratches that cannot be completely removed. These are mostly due to a broken wiper (metal touching glass).... like the nasty scratch on the passenger side of my Lancer, but the good news ... it is now barely visible (but it's still there)

Another advise especially for new car owners - Do not ever run the wipers on a dry and dusty windscreen AND switch-off the wipers when it stops raining !!!

---------------------------------
warm regards
Chewbacca
Chewbacca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2010, 06:33   #29
BHPian

I use a Product Called 'RainX'.

It is really good. The shuddering of the wiper blades and the streak marks have disappeared.

Its kind of like wax. You apply it on a clean, Dry windshield and once it dries up you have to polish it off.

Just give it a try.

Last edited by sureshkishore : 30th August 2010 at 06:45.
Old 30th August 2010, 09:37   #30
BHPian

Nice info. I normally use Tobacco and found it to be effective.

BTW, does this guy make this product on his own or gets it from other manufacturer? Can I get the information of the product (Diamond Dust) he used to get the job done?

Most Viewed