Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2004, 15:18   #1
BHPian

Hi there,

have been hearing a lot about 'em these days without having a clue as to how exactly do they improve the engine performance.

anyone to throw some light and enlighten ?

cheers

aditya
Old 15th April 2004, 15:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

Well, the K&N filters usually do exactly what they say on the box. You would get a small horsepower gain. What the filter does is simply let more air into the engine.

In a fuel injected car, the mass airflow sensor would automatically detect the larger volume of air and supply additional fuel. More fuel means more to ignite inside the cylinder, hence more power. In a carburetted car, the additional air pressure sucks more fuel in creating the same effect. Although you then get restricted by the size of your jets.

Some of the higer end versions of the filters and airboxes are also designed to create additional turbulance which helps atomise the fuel better, allowing for a better combustion to take place.

In principle you would get a similar effect by simply removing your stock air filter, although you then run the risk of getting dirt in your system which at best could cause a misfire, and at worse, blow your head

K&N filters really do a good job and are reusable, so it would even work out cheaper in the long run. Also, you get a nice intake growl usually
Old 15th April 2004, 19:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey great info

Would anyone know how would be the the cost to add K&N filter to my Zen AT carb? Cost of the filteres and fitting costs and where could I aquire them from?

Cheers
Old 15th April 2004, 19:57   #4
Team-BHP Support

i don't know how much they cost over here dippy, but I've seen ad's in all the auto mags so you could probably give em a call to check.
Old 15th April 2004, 20:23   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

K&N filters really do a good job and are reusable, so it would even work out cheaper in the long run. Also, you get a nice intake growl usually[/quote]

Correct, A K&N filter will outlast the life of a vehicle, and must usually be ONLY cleant and not replace @ every 20000km. Calculate against the cost of replacing a stock filter periodically, and a K&N will actually work out cheaper than the standard filters. As rtech mentioned, the intake growl you hear as climbing through the revs can get addictive.

Typically, your engine can only suck in as much air as the volumetric size of its cylinders. Butttttttttttttttttt the principle of K&N is to alloy for better flow through lesser restriction. Standard paper filters do a good job of keeping the dirt out, however they prove to be a restriction to the engines breathing capacity (inhaling).

Go for a K&N, you will never regret it.

GTO
Old 16th April 2004, 07:27   #6
BANNED

hey any k&n use ofr my cielo. i need some growl. how much do u think one is gonna cost. also do i need to invest in a free flow exhaust or can i use my stock one. headers??? so i need them too...???

now what about mileage huh...got to be better right???
Old 16th April 2004, 09:48   #7
BHPian

ANybody here has the website URL or contact info,of K&N dealers.
Old 16th April 2004, 09:57   #8
BHPian

K&N air filter dealer in india, got it from there website.
Name: METHODS AUTOMOTIVE
City: BANGALORE
Phone: (918) 02217879
Fax: (918) 02997178
E-mail: methods@vsnl.com
Products: Automotive and Motorcycle

Anybody who has purchased and used it, plz let me know if it is worth it for my M800.What can i expect after using it.
Old 17th April 2004, 00:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

go to www.automechexhausts.com

or speak to ajay on 24926819 / 55950890

cheers
Old 17th April 2004, 00:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys,
On the various cars ive tried ive seen gains from 3% to about 5% max. But one thing good it will compliment to other monds you make... like port matching and porting, for more air.. and the filter will provide the same. The cotton used in the filter is excellent. The oil that is used in the filter creates a neg or positive (im not sure) static. Which makes the dust stick to the filter than letting the dust off in. But the dust too helps filter the air more better as it builds up!.
And its worth the money.. as rtech said.. use it then wash it, oil it and then again use it
lasts literally for ever. and costs only 40$.

Cheers
Dom
Old 17th April 2004, 05:57   #11
BANNED

hey dominic my mechanic says he made a " sports exhaust ". cause my existing exhaust is cracking up .so how can u make one . he says he welds it on from the funnel it itself.... u know what i mean right. not all the way from the manifold. so what is he talking about???
my cielo is still in the workshop so i dont know what to tell him. should i tell hin to fix it or should i go for a new one the :"silent ones " i mean.,,,!
Old 17th April 2004, 13:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hmm,
You will have to be more specific. Looks to me like your Box has taken a beating and as you said cracking up. Its probably he is replacing your Box. What they call "sports exhaust" uses the helmoltz principle and is a free flow design. They make a 3 - 4" dia MS/SS metal tube in which either Glass Wool is filled and in the centre uses a perforated pipe (you will have to specific with the pin hole sizes to get a desired sound). This is a basic free flow muffler. This reduces restriction in the exhaust. But get it done properly... a bit of backpressure is always needed. The sound if muffler is built for the engine specs will sound good!.
If you like a silent one and also want efficiency go for the factory muffler, better yet i sto repair the present one.

Cheers
Dom
Old 18th April 2004, 05:16   #13
BANNED

so i can make a free flow muffler fomr my old one. so he said he already made one form another car and that he will hook it to mine. u r correct in htis case.. the box casing in mine has take a beating...and it has rusted..
he said he already made one. how will i get him to help me achive the desired sound. will this work for me. does is it sound authentic eenough man and also does it have any effect on my pulling power...will it be good or bad. he says a k&n filter will **** with my mileage. i tild him not. he told me its upto me. see with the filter will the sound be better. i dont wanna spend much on my filter. how much do u think a cheap one will cost??
thanx a lot for the help buddy
vishnu
Old 18th April 2004, 11:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey Vishnu,
Dont make a free flow exhaust with the original one. Keep it aside incase you are selling the car later on. You may need it!. Send me the box design he has used. Basic (nice sounding, absorption) ones usually will be a round type, about 15 - 16" length 6" wide and with a 1.5" dia pipe for the input and output. These type mufflers are usually called glass packed mufflers and are straight through. No restriction and pretty good sound absorption. These boxes if correct size is used will sound pretty cool, also remember it will take nearly 100km of driving for the sound to really set in, it will keep changing as the glass pack inside will move towards its outer wall.
K&N filters wont reduce mileage at all!. ive seen gains with proper designed headers and filters!. Ive seen gains upto 10% with the combination. BUT DUDE WITH THE GROWL AND SOUND FROM YOUR EXHAUST YOULL TEND TO RIP WHICH WILL HURT MILEAGE. If you drive as you used to earlier to the modification youll get good efficiency.
Cost for Universal type (cone) filter will range from 3000 - 4500Rs.

Cheers
Dom
Old 18th April 2004, 22:55   #15
BANNED

so u mean i should get a header with the k&n filter. i mean how do i do that. the mechanic made one out of a existing cielo one. not my exhaust. anyway how can i make a new exhust ...i mean where do u buy thta stuff...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks