Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2020, 20:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Vento Automatic: Speedometer error + ABS warning

Referencing a "ABS warning light on" post here, that i created in a different thread but yet to get some inputs. Hopefully someone in this thread may be able to offer help.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4899437 (ABS / ESP warning light - Now what?)
Old 11th October 2020, 17:00   #17

Hi,
I am just back from VW ASC today after replacing front left wheel ABS speed sensor on my 2015 Vento TSI (done 44k kms).

To answer some of your queries:
1. Mounting / unmounting of wheel should not disturb the sensor as its placed on the back of wheel hub. I have replaced all 4 tyres last year + all tyres were removed during last service for some brake cleaning work, the ABS error didn’t came up then
2. The event pattern can be varied – in my case, I have observed following sequences:
- ABS kick in at very low speeds (<10kmph)
- Wildly fluctuating speedometer needle (only once)
- ABS + ESP (both together) warning lights (happened 2-3 times last week)
- Auto door lock getting activated even though vehicle is parked (once today)

I got front right sensor also checked & it was just fine.
May be in your case, and as you pointed out, there could be some other wheel sensor malfunction which is causing ABS warning.

Cheers
Nalin
nalinsaxena23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 17:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethari View Post
I have a 2011 Vento petrol automatic. All of a sudden I've started having this problem: As I start driving, the speedo needle starts flicking up and down. When this happens, the auto transmission also goes haywire and does not shift up with increasing rpm. After some time, the ABS fault comes on. From this point onwards, the speedo behaves normally as also the auto transmission. Tried scanning with Torque Pro, but no fault codes are latched. Can someone throw some light into this?

Thanks
Hari

Happened to our 2015 Vento. Its just the ABS sensors gone bad. VW recommends replacement around 75K.
About 2K for each wheel.
Old 12th October 2020, 14:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
Happened to our 2015 Vento. Its just the ABS sensors gone bad. VW recommends replacement around 75K.
About 2K for each wheel.
Cost of each wheel sensor is 4+ K.
Attached Thumbnails
Vento Automatic: Speedometer error + ABS warning-wheel-speed-sensor.jpg  

Old 15th February 2021, 07:37   #20
BHPian

Hi guys. I faced very similar issues described above on my 2018 Polo 1.2 MPI yesterday. The vehicle was serviced on 2nd February at VW Goa (third service) and the rear right ABS sensor was replaced under warranty. Had been driving with the error light on for exactly 4 months.

A couple of strange things happened yesterday:

1. In the afternoon I turned on the ignition (engine off) and the doors auto locked. Then the speedometer needle started flickering. Tried again and the same issue occurred, so I backed out of the garage and once on the road, I switched off the engine and turned on the ignition once more. The problem didn't reoccur.

2. Went out for a nice Valentine's dinner and as we were driving back, I noticed that the gear shift indicator was showing that I was in 2nd even thought I was in 4th. Tried downshifting and upshifting but this didn't solve the problem. It even stopped showing any gear for a few secs. The speedometer needle was also flickering. (we were doing about 30 kmph)

3. During the same time, a strange ticking noise came from the steering wheel. I tried to brake and the pedal began to vibrate heavily.

4. The car then jerked forward when I just tapped the accelerator. That was quite scary so I just pulled over to think what's going on. Decided to proceed at low speed and the same issues were happening.

5. Suddenly the ABS light popped up and the issues stopped. I even sped up a bit and braked hard. The brakes were working perfectly.

When the issues described in 1. occured, I started assuming if the battery was behind the problem as I was informed by our local battery dealer and the VW ASC that it is weak and showing low voltage, so I looked up the above posts. I honestly didn't believe that the speed sensors could affect so many other functions of the car (even door locks??!!)
However, when I experienced ghastly problems later, I remembered what I'd read.

Can anyone explain how all these functions are inter related? Can the ABS have such a terrible influence on the ECU that it starts locking the doors and causes the needle to flicker even when the car is stationery?

I'll have to take the car to the service centre for a warranty replacement again, which is a pain since its a 35 kms drive down south and then they want to keep the car for 2 days for "warranty approval".
Old 21st February 2021, 10:32   #21

Hi Clayton,

Following issues are indeed pertaining to speed sensor malfunctioning. I noticed these issues when speed sensor of my Vento TSI failed:

1. Door auto - locking after ignition turned on even though vehicle was stand still
2. Speedo needle flickering, showing insane speeds even while driving at slow speeds. Even while the vehicle is stationary
3. Brake pedal vibrations – essentially ABS kicking in at speeds & on surfaces it should ideally not
4. ABS light popping up & then going off after a few re-starts

Speed sensor gives indication about speed to ECU (& gearbox too). So any vehicle function that gets inputs related to speed will get affected.

In my case, during first scan at VW ASC, it showed DSG error which was later pinned down to speed sensor error.

Speed sensor will cost you about 4k. Get it replaced and issue should be resolved.

Happy driving.
Cheers
Nalin
Old 10th April 2021, 21:31   #22
BHPian

Got the same issue on my 6 month old Vento 1.0 TSI Highline Plus today. The car has only run 4800kms and this was very disappointing. Has anyone faced this issue within such a short duration or usage? Will be visiting the ASC on Monday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks