Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2020, 11:14   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: ABS / ESP warning light - Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Got this warning light on my instrument cluster today morning even after starting the engine. Found this piece of wire next to my car. Any pointers?
Most likely that's the cable for the ABS sensors that go from the ABS module to the wheels. I suspect it has been chewed off by rats / dogs.
Please drive with extreme caution and go to the company service center for a full checkup and replacement.
blackasta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 15:31   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
This looks like the tyre sensor cable. However the cut looks too neat, it can also be that the cable came loose from its holders and fouled with the wheel and snapped.
Old 5th September 2020, 08:52   #48
BHPian

Need some expert advice. I have a 2017 Skoda Rapid and last month I changed the disc brake pads during the third service. When I took the car for a drive last week, the abs light turned on. After some time it went off. Yesterday I went to the Skoda workshop in Chennai and the SA advised me that that abs sensors need to be replaced and they can be replaced under warranty. Even when driving back from the service centre, the abs light was on and then went off automatically after some time. Based on the information in the forum, my guess is that it could be due to not have fitted it properly during the disc replacement. Can I persuade the SA to check the sensors and then if they do need replacement, can I go for the warranty clause. My SA is adamant on going for a complete replacement under warranty. Experts please advice.
Old 2nd October 2020, 21:04   #49
BHPian

Repeated ABS Warning ON Vento TDI and pattern i observed:

i got an ABS warning on my Venti TDI, around 60K on the odometer. When i took it to ASS of VW they said the rear wheel sensor had gone kaput and i replaced it by 1st week of July 2020 and the ABS warning had gone.

By mid of August, i performed Wheel Alignment at Ramesh Tyres(one of the very few best alignment center i have seen in Chennai and i am their regular customer for around 5 years) and the service personnel there recommended me to Swap the tyres after the alignment was done. I was not so comfortable and was in a rush to move on, i did not swap the tyre by then mentioning that i will come back in a week or two to swap the tyres.

on 27th Sep'20, i went to Ramesh Tyres, Velachery and Swapped the tyres on a X pattern and when i took the car out of garage and performed braking, ABS kicked in once at very low speeds around 30km/hour speed and within 3 kms i got the ABS Warning kicking in.

Pattern i observe:
Now when i recollect instance of what happened when the ABS waring kicked in for the first time in July, the wheel was unmounted for fixing the second puncture in its life (around 60K on the odo by then)and the moment it was mounted again, the ABS warning came in.

I see a similar pattern of ABS kicking when when the wheel was unmounted for swapping now (around 63.5 K on the odo). Below are the thoughts and questions that arises in my mind, wanted to get expert opinions before i go to VW ASS. If i go to VW ASS i am sure they will scan and say, "another sensor has to be replaced:( "

1)Does unmounting and mounting the wheel cause any disturbance to the wheel sensor or is there a chance of human error to happen by improperly mounting the wheel which could have triggered the sensor to go kaput?
2) Have anyone of you guys traced similar kind of the pattern of instances with your cars?
3) is there any relevance to the pattern i observed here or is it a mere coincidence?
4) any other suggestions for a FNG in chennai where i could fix it at relatively less price than VW ASS.

Pls share your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
ABS / ESP warning light - Now what?-wheel-speed-sensor.jpg  

Last edited by anandharamanp : 2nd October 2020 at 21:05. Reason: corrected typo
Old 27th April 2021, 19:00   #50

I finally got both my rear ABS sensors replaced at an VW service centre and the warning lights have disappeared.
Old 14th August 2022, 12:17   #51

Creta 1st Gen Pre-Facelift (2015-19) EPS and ABS issues

Hi Fellow BHPians. Today, when my dad started the car (a 2016 1.6 Creta SX CRDi) I saw a christmas tree lit up for a few seconds as usual. Then I saw that the EPS and ABS lights didn't go away for quite some time. I thought it was normal and that they would go away some time. But then my dad reported a hard steering wheel after reversing it out from our lot. I checked it for myself. It was harder than usual but not that hard, I suppose the motor was working but there is some malfunction. We didn't drive the car and parked it back inside as we felt that it wasn't safe to do so. Even though I don't have much technical knowledge, I feel that both ABS and EPS issues cropping up together isn't a cooincidence. The car was working fine until yesterday. I believe either the battery or the fuses are at fault. I also suspect that a sensor or the ring may have gone kaput. Please help me out with this as we need the car to be up and running. Can someone give me an estimate of how much potential repairs are going to cost? Also, the car has been serviced regularly as per its schedule every year, since purchased, only at the Hyundai ASC.
Old 14th August 2022, 16:01   #52

Re: Creta 1st Gen Pre-Facelift (2015-19) EPS and ABS issues

On a side note, I think it can be rat bites too.
Old 15th November 2023, 12:49   #53

Here is my experience with ABS warning on my Santa Fe 2014 2WD and how I think I fixed it!

Summary : I was suspecting loose connection at the Speed sensor, I just disconnected the ABS cable and cleaned the connection point with WD-40 spray and connected it back by firmly pressing the latch.

ABS / ESP warning light - Now what?-abssensor.jpg

Full Story
From a recent Sunday trip to Male Mahadeshwara hills from Bangalore which is around 200km, I noticed the ABS warning lighting up on the cluster during my return.
First time I spotted this was on Mysore Highway right after starting from a short pit stop for Tea.
The pattern was like, Once the key is put into ACC position, the speedometer needle fluctuated b/w 0-10km randomly while the ABS is lit.
I drove my car with this ABS warning ON for ~100km. I did not notice any erratic movements in the speed needle during this drive, I was monitoring it closely.
I was not in a position to take the car to HASS until next weekend. However, I had to take out the car for short distances meanwhile, I noticed the ABS warning was not consistent, but was showing up only sometimes, very randomly.
I took the vehicle to Hyundai ASS the next Friday as I had a 4 days trip planned for kids' vacation, Bangalore-Madurai-Jatayu Earth Centre-Varkala Beach-Thiruvanathapuram(Anantha Padhmanabha Temple)-Kanyakumari-Bangalore which was ~1500km.
The warning light was off when I took it to the nearby HASS, the service manager could see the ABS warning logs in history, showing the Left-Rear ABS sensor being faulty.
He cleared the ABS warning log from history and suggested to replace the same if the warning lights up again. He was perfectly OK to go ahead with the trip with a faulty(possibly) sensor on LR wheel.
He says, the ABS will function on the rest 3 wheels just normally and normal braking will work on the LR Wheel which I totally agree to.
Now, during this 1500km of drive, I noticed the ABS warning intermittently, I can say around 30% of the times. I was extra cautious while driving in rain, muddy roads and patchy roads during the trip.

My question was, the Speed sensor should either fully function or fail (Please correct my understanding if otherwise), but how can it fail intermittently?
I was suspecting loose connection at the Speed sensor, I just disconnected the ABS cable and cleaned the connection surface with WD-40 spray and connected it back by firmly pressing the latch.
Its been couple of hundred Kilometers since the fix, the warning has not shown up till now, from earlier experience it should have shown up at least once by now.
I am just hoping this to be a permanent fix.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks