Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2016, 16:13   #31
BHPian

Toyota Camry 2007 - Check VSC System

Dear Experts
I have been driving My Toyota Camry W4 Automatic 2007 for the last 5 years without any problem at all.
Suddenly 2 days ago I started to get the message "Check VSC System" and the three lights -ABS, Traction Control, and Check Light have come on.
VSC -Vehicle Stability Control
I plugged in the OBD2 and checked for errors, but it did not show any errors.
The car is driving fine without a problem.
The only thing that happened a few days before this was that my front right tyre had a slow undetectable puncture, and I replaced it with the unused new spare in my boot. We even put the old tyre back to rule out that the change of tyre caused the error. The error remained after this.
Any ideas what this could be ?
The Car has done about 59K kms, and the last service was done at around 50K about an year ago.
My FNG mechanics Harvinder and Kumar who are very good could not figure out much as there are no error codes coming.
I am planning to take the Car to Lakhozy Motors, Okhla, New Delhi after Diwali if we cannot fix it.

Last edited by Styler : 30th October 2016 at 16:19.
Old 31st October 2016, 12:26   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Camry 2007 - Check VSC System

^^ Did the car hit a bump hard or suffer some shock just before this error appeared?If yes , please check continuity of your wheel ABS sensors/wires.

Is the car running fine or is it jerking at start up?If yes , you might want to check the plugs(I don't suspect the coils as much).

Did you overfill the gas tank?The CEL could have come on as the fuel return pcv could have sensed back pressure,causing the CEL.

Easiest thing to do is to disconnect the battery -ve and reconnect after 20 mins.If this doesn't clear the errors , please have a scan performed.

An engine misfire can cause the VSC to shut off ;that is what I remember having read somewhere.

Although quite unlikely , I will also check the ABS relay/fuse

Last edited by vigsom : 31st October 2016 at 12:33. Reason: addition
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 15:12   #33
BHPian

Re: ABS / ESP warning light - Now what?

I recently had the ABS light ON on my 2012 Skoda rapid.
Turns out it was a faulty sensor on my rear left paid 2200 for scan + new sensor.
manas27587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 17:05   #34
Team-BHP Support

It is most likely going to be one of your wheel speed sensors/abs sensors which as gone kaput. Sometimes with universal scanners error codes do not pop up. Best to take it to the dealership and scan it.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 18:55   #35
BHPian

Hello,
Diagnosis: I suspect the spare wheel that is used is of a different size than tyres being used in the car. So a difference in the diameter can cause a different wheel speed thus the error.
I'm no expert but I've experienced this situation in my old w124 merc.

Solution: After the original tyre/wheel is replaced, flash/reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery terminal's for about 5mins.

Happy motoring
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 09:21   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ on the Camry , I think the tyres are all 215/60R16 Yokohama A348 .The spare is also of the same size.

No harm checking for anomalies,though.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 10:21   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

A worn wheel bearing with barely discernable side play can also be cause of ABS light coming on. Happened in a friend's Fortuner recently
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 15:55   #38
BHPian

Okay here is the update.
I had left the Toyota Camry with ABS light at Lakozy Motors, Okhla Phase III, New Delhi this morning as we knew a senior mechanic there.
He called me around lunch time and told me that it was a cabling fault and they have fixed it. Luckily no parts required. ABS is kicking in normally. Error lights have gone off.
They are going to service the car with Oil, Oil Filter and Air Filter change.
I will get the car back in the evening and update in detail.
Thanks for all the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ on the Camry , I think the tyres are all 215/60R16 Yokohama A348 .The spare is also of the same size.
No harm checking for anomalies,though.
You are correct, all wheels are the same size in the Camry. Only thing was that the spare was brand new, unused. As mentioned above it was a cabling issue and the tyre change was not the cause.

Last edited by Styler : 2nd November 2016 at 16:16.
Old 9th August 2019, 13:07   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I remember ABS sensor for my Yeti was around 6K (all inclusive) a couple of years back. They might have reduced price if it's lesser now.
Hey Ajay, I am facing the same issue in my Yeti since this morning. Car was at service for clutch hydraulic cylinder replacement and now after 2 days at home, this error popped up. (I wonder if they messed up with anything since clutch system works on brake fluid as well). Can you tell me how many kms your Yeti had done when you faced this issue ? My Yeti is at 70488 Kms.
The service person has asked me to drive the car normally for a few days but I cannot stand the three lights burning my eyes all the time !
ABS / ESP warning light - Now what?-yeti.jpeg
Old 9th August 2019, 13:21   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambodara View Post
Hey Ajay, I am facing the same issue in my Yeti since this morning. Car was at service for clutch hydraulic cylinder replacement and now after 2 days at home, this error popped up. (I wonder if they messed up with anything since clutch system works on brake fluid as well). Can you tell me how many kms your Yeti had done when you faced this issue ? My Yeti is at 70488 Kms.
The service person has asked me to drive the car normally for a few days but I cannot stand the three lights burning my eyes all the time !
I feel your pain. Unless you hook up to a scanner, things cannot be accurately pinpointed. However, it could be due to a wire dislodged (the ABS+ESP combo) points to that.

It could also be that your battery is very low.
Old 23rd September 2019, 13:09   #41
BHPian

Update about Yeti's sensor light issue. Turned out to be a faulty sensor (rear right wheel). The error was not consistent though. It used to sometimes switch itself off on restarts (in traffic).
On first visit, Skoda service person cleaned it and the error was reset. It worked fine for 2 days but after that the error popped back up and this time it refused to go.
Sensor was in stock so went and got it replaced. Service adviser said this error also comes due to faulty bearing as the sensor somehow senses the bearing surface or something ? I am not too sure, but its not like the ABS sensor of bikes where it senses a disc with holes.

Old 28th September 2019, 09:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

What's the price of an ABS sensor? And how do we know that the ABS light is due to a faulty sensor and not the wires?
Old 31st January 2020, 11:17   #43

I am facing the same issue for my 2012 Jetta. The VW service centre recommended changing the sensor of one wheel. But I got a friend to connect his VCDS to the vehicle - and while in motion all sensor including the supposedly faulty one read the correct speed and the inference was it was not a sensor problem. I got the wheel assemble cleaned but to no help. What to do now? If I take her back to VW in my city, they will start with changing the sensor (which costs 5k there and 2k outside) and only then will they look for other problems!
Old 31st January 2020, 11:30   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @hamlet View Post
I am facing the same issue for my 2012 Jetta. The VW service centre recommended changing the sensor of one wheel. But I got a friend to connect his VCDS to the vehicle - and while in motion all sensor including the supposedly faulty one read the correct speed and the inference was it was not a sensor problem. I got the wheel assemble cleaned but to no help. What to do now? If I take her back to VW in my city, they will start with changing the sensor (which costs 5k there and 2k outside) and only then will they look for other problems!
Although many VAG cars continue to run properly with the ABS error light on, I had an unfortunate incident because of this in my Creta (my experience thread is listed in the same section). I would recommend you to change it asap considering what had happened to me. I had to pay around 6800 per sensor.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 11:07   #45
Senior - BHPian

Got this warning light on my instrument cluster today morning even after starting the engine. Found this piece of wire next to my car. Any pointers?

ABS / ESP warning light - Now what?-whatsapp-image-20200805-10.29.23-am.jpeg

ABS / ESP warning light - Now what?-whatsapp-image-20200805-10.29.22-am.jpeg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks