Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2016, 10:59   #16
BHPian

Re: ABS / ESP warning light - Now what?

Epic, is this the first time this is happening to you?. This could be a simple ABS sensor error, in which case it will be replaced, but insist that they check the ABS sensors on all the wheels. IN my case all 4 failed over a period of one year. If you dont mind the cost then get all 4 replaced.

The same set of lights also come up if there is a failure of the ABS pump in which case god help you. Faced the same issue on the superb. I think they had asked around 140K for replacing that. Fortunately for me there was a mistake on the service centre part as they never changed the brake fluid ever. As per the service manual this has to be changed at predefined intervals, and if not done is one of the reasons that the ABS pump can fail. After numerous letters, escalations managed to get it repaired by the service centre at no charge.

However what ever be the case please do not drive the vehicle without ABS especially during rainy season. Get it checked and repaired soon.

All the best and hope it is just a sensor failure.
Old 14th July 2016, 15:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

So the error showed again this morning when I started the car and vanished with in 5 minutes. It appeared again once I reached the service centre. The service centre suspects an ABS sensor too but will know for sure once a scan is done. I am awaiting their diagnosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I have the same problem since 2-3 years back, mostly during monsoon seasons.
The ABS light comes up on it's own, glows for a while and then disappears on it's own.
Told the same to Hyundai ASS - they did not find anything wrong with the G scan tool.
I do not have any problem with braking - and ABS kicks in whenever required.
So guess it is something of a sensor contact / dirt issue.
This could be possible. This issue cropped up only after the monsoons began. I hope it is something minor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
A scan will reveal the fault code history even if the fault is not showing now. That will pin point the fault.
This is good that the fault will show in the history and be known even if the error does not show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Apart from this it could be due to a wrongly calibrated steering alignment sensor too.

Have you done any wheel alignment recently, if so this could be the reason for the same since on adjusting steering play, sensor calibration would be off.
Car was serviced last in October 2015 but do not remember if the wheel alignment was done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
Epic, is this the first time this is happening to you?. This could be a simple ABS sensor error, in which case it will be replaced, but insist that they check the ABS sensors on all the wheels. IN my case all 4 failed over a period of one year. If you don't mind the cost then get all 4 replaced.
Yes this is the first time it has happened to me. I was informed that one sensor is around 4k. Not sure if I want to pay 16k + tax and labour if only one has gone bust. But yes, safety first.
Old 14th July 2016, 16:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
But after driving a kilometer or so I stopped the car, switched it 'off', removed the key, waited for around a minute and started it again. The error vanished. However, this morning the error remained even after following the above procedure. I have taken an appointment with the Skoda workshop tomorrow so let's see what they say. I hope it is just a faulty sensor or loose wire as a cut wire will be an expensive affair.
Could be a blown or loose fuse (maybe) or might just be some rats having a jolly time under the bonnet. its most probably a sensor gone kaput as Skoda's are renowned for faulty ABS sensors which makes the dash light up like a christmas tree.

Try disconnecting the Negative terminal of the battery, wait 10 seconds, reconnect and check.
Old 14th July 2016, 18:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

So finally got a report from Skoda that the rear right Speed Wheel Sensor and Wheel Bearing has gone kaput. The same will have to be replaced.
Old 14th July 2016, 18:53   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So finally got a report from Skoda that the rear right Speed Wheel Sensor and Wheel Bearing has gone kaput. The same will have to be replaced.
My Jetta had a similar failure. It cost around Rs 20000. Luckiliy it was under warranty
Old 15th July 2016, 13:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
My Jetta had a similar failure. It cost around Rs 20000. Luckiliy it was under warranty
Whoa!! That is more expensive than the Yeti!! I have been quoted 4.5k for the sensor from Skoda. The wheel bearing is around 9k.
Old 15th July 2016, 13:24   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Whoa!! That is more expensive than the Yeti!! I have been quoted 4.5k for the sensor from Skoda. The wheel bearing is around 9k.
I think they have reduced prices since then. Again, if you add, labour + tax, it might come close to that amount
Old 15th July 2016, 13:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I think they have reduced prices since then. Again, if you add, labour + tax, it might come close to that amount
I remember ABS sensor for my Yeti was around 6K (all inclusive) a couple of years back. They might have reduced price if it's lesser now.
Old 16th July 2016, 01:27   #24
BHPian

20k is too much for just a single sensor. It is quite possible that they are replacing all 4 under warranty. Regarding the superb my SA had told me that this is was a known issue with superb and infact Skoda had told the service centres to replace all 4 if any of the sensors failed during warranty. Not sure about the other models though
Old 16th July 2016, 10:21   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was truly wrong. I dug into my safe and reviewed. The wheel bearing cost Rs 10500 and labour was Rs 60!!!
Old 17th July 2016, 13:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I remember ABS sensor for my Yeti was around 6K (all inclusive) a couple of years back. They might have reduced price if it's lesser now.
Quote:
I was truly wrong. I dug into my safe and reviewed. The wheel bearing cost Rs 10500 and labour was Rs 60!!!
So to clear all doubts on the cost of the wheel speed sensor; it costs 3000 + 110 for labour + 15% tax which is around 3500 all inclusive. The wheel bearing on the other hand is 7800 + 715 for labour + 15% tax which is around 9800 all inclusive.
Old 17th July 2016, 23:35   #27
BHPian

Hi Epic, Did the service centre return the old parts to you ?
Old 18th July 2016, 12:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes they did. I believe that is the norm with the VAG group. They do the same whenever I give my VW Polo 1.6 for any work at an authorized service centre.
Old 18th July 2016, 21:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of them most of the time they do, Only a couple of instance parts like ac filters, Replaced wipers were not returned and i decided to leave it anyways, Mahindra on the other hand doesn't care to return the parts specially if you have opted for a Pickup and drop service.
Old 18th July 2016, 22:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Please do a scan with VCDS or the Skoda tool; this would give you the exact fault code and the reason for the error.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks