Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2007, 23:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

I would be mighty interested to hear from the experts about the better ways as espoused..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
BTW, did you know that there are better ways of getting rid of your wife ??
Old 15th January 2007, 23:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

You really make it sound as if I did something that is unachievable. The fact remains that I got out of the car fast while she took sometime to gather her stuff and come out.

In the meanwhile purely due to the reflex action I pressed the lock button of the remote as was/is the habit and walked off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
man gd1418, you got some guts to do that to your wife....
Old 15th January 2007, 23:30   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

BTW, did you know that there are better ways of getting rid of your wife ??

Gotcha....
maybe not right now...
I might also require these better ways probably some years from now....

sweetheart you ought to see that I am learning few lessons from the gurus here.. haha
Old 16th January 2007, 00:34   #19
Team-BHP Support

Well... to add to the main topic, all remote locking systems are actually remote central locking systems. In other words, if you have remote locking you have a central locking system installed. The controls to lock and unlock (or arm and disarm) the locking mechanism is given to you on a remote "also". There is no reason to say that you prefer central locking to remote locking.
Old 16th January 2007, 10:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Yes. It is indeed true. One of my friends tried it out on his car and it really worked !
Hi! Can you give me the details of this experiment. Actually, I have come across many websites and articles which said that this was actually a hoax and that cars with remote control couldnt be unlocked via cellphones.
Old 16th January 2007, 11:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil3456 View Post
Hi! Can you give me the details of this experiment. Actually, I have come across many websites and articles which said that this was actually a hoax and that cars with remote control couldnt be unlocked via cellphones.
I actually haven't yet tried this but I was told by one of my colleagues in the office the way to do this..

You have to stand besides your car, very near actually, with ON call with someone who has the other remote of your central locking system[any remote actually]. He then presses the lock or the unlock button on the remote keeping the mobile near to the remote. Then this lock or unlock command from the remote is transmitted through the mobile phone's frequency to your car.

this even worked with the Reliance mobile connection with my friend...
Old 18th January 2007, 11:28   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendi View Post
I actually haven't yet tried this but I was told by one of my colleagues in the office the way to do this..

You have to stand besides your car, very near actually, with ON call with someone who has the other remote of your central locking system[any remote actually]. He then presses the lock or the unlock button on the remote keeping the mobile near to the remote. Then this lock or unlock command from the remote is transmitted through the mobile phone's frequency to your car.

If this is not a hoax, will you please explain it further ?

Will this work in all cellphones & service providers ? OR is that model/service provider specific ?

And which is the brand ?
Old 18th January 2007, 11:48   #23
BHPian

Difference between Central locking and remote locking?

HI,
Whts the difference between central locking and remote locking? Can anyone explain in detail!

Kiran.
Old 18th January 2007, 12:21   #24
Team-BHP Support

Central Locking - If the door is locked/unlocked from the drivers door (or sometimes even passengers side) then all the doors lock/unlock. This can be done from inside the car, or with the key from outside.

Remote Locking - Same as above, but the car can also be locked and unlocked with a small remote on your keychain.

Sounds right?
cya
R
Old 18th January 2007, 12:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Certain models dont have this central locking facility. For such models, you need to purchase the remote which has 4 door activater feature that closes all the four door simultaneously
Old 19th January 2007, 07:00   #26
BANNED

Thread already exists.

Mods please take necessary action.

Mod Note - Thanks. Threads merged.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th January 2007 at 10:12.
Old 28th October 2008, 13:49   #27
BHPian

Cost of remote locking

what would be the cost of such a remote locking system for my car...I own a Santro Xing with Central locking...
Thanks
Old 28th October 2008, 16:56   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
HI,
Whts the difference between central locking and remote locking? Can anyone explain in detail!

Kiran.
Hi Kiran,

Central Locking by definition means that the locking mechanism is "centralized". With this, locking of all doors can be done at 1 single place (door). In normal case, the driver's door have this facility. In some cars, the passenger side too have this. In most cars, central locking is just a common feature. But we still dont find this on some lower segment cars in india.
So the option is that you can fit external Central Locking along with Remote Locking (or even without remote locking).

Remote Locking by definition means that the locking mechanism can be done from a remote place (well usually max few mts away frm car) with a remote. In most cars, you wont find this feature as factory fitted. So the option is to go for an external fitted one (autocop is good). If you already do have Central Locking, then just remote locking will do.

In some higher end cars, the keys do have integrated remote function at the Key Head.

And in more higher end cars, there is called a "keyless entry system" which unlocks the car automatically when you are very near to the car (usually 2-4 feet) and locks when you move away. So you never need to worry. But u still have to put the key in the ignition to start.

And in more more higher ends, you wont find a key at all; but a credit card kind of card which will act as the same "keyless entry system". When you enter the car would WELCOME you and at a press of a button the car would start.

Talking about remotes, there are higher end remotes which can operate lights/horns/ ac and can even start your car . There are 2-way remotes too, which will alert you on the remote, if the car's alarm has been triggered, etc
menas_136 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2008, 17:40   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendi View Post

This is one of the biggest Hoax my dear friend. But it is as tempting that you would try it yourself. If this would actually work, then it would have been great. There wont be any more problems, if you accidentally forget your keys inside. And if you are working in an IT firm you are cursed to receive more Hoax than official mails (but thats fun).

I too received the mail long back and i almost beleived it. But then i saw a show on Nat Geo (or discovery, i dont remember) wherein they tested this. It was so funnily directed, and to prove that it will not work, they tried it on few hundred cars and few hundred types of remote and all mobile operators of europe. It will not work, for the follwing reasons:
  • The data which the mobile phone sends using the wireless frequency bands is actually the voice converted to digital signals. So to send your unlock codes to mobile to further transmit the same, you need to input the unclock codes as voice inputs hahaha
  • Even if you succeed to convert the unlock codes to transmit, The mobile phone uses a totally different wireless frequency in higher frequency bands and the Car remote use lower wireless frequencies, similiar or lower to cordless phones, wireless door bells, etc (no license req to use this frequency). So it cannot carry those signals.
  • Even if you finally succeed to send the unlock code digits to the mobile phone of the user near the car waiting to unlock, it will not be able to unlock as the mobile device should transmit the same lower wireless frequencies so that the remote lock receiver under the hood can understand and receive.
Confused? its not something that the technologies does not permit. It is only due to the wireless regulatory board rules. The common utility manufacturers cannot use the higher reserved wireless bands.

But interestingly though, it is shown in the same nat geo program about how the youngsters in UK have found a special way to steal from the car. They use the transmitter of a particular door bell whose frequency is eventually matching with some of the car manufacturer's remote lock frequency. They wait for cars to arrive in the parking lot. Normally the driver gets out and locks the car with remote when he is on the way walking back. So the kids keep continuosly pressing the doorbell remote button within its distance range so that the car's remote lock receiver is actively listening to the door bell as well. and finally when coincidingly the actual transmitter and the door bell are pressed simultaneuosly it sometimes jams the incoming frequency from the actual remote lock for that particular instance. The driver actually thinks his car is locked, but its not and the kids wait for him to leave unaware of the fact that his car is unlocked. Then they steal.

So always, check for the lock sound and light signals to confirm your car is actually locked.

But even, with this technique, you cannot unlock a locked car.
Old 28th October 2008, 18:44   #30
BHPian

I HAVE to try this. Will check this out some time in the next day or two and let you guys know.
(I'm really excited now. My inner geek is going nuts!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
If this is not a hoax, will you please explain it further ?

Will this work in all cellphones & service providers ? OR is that model/service provider specific ?

And which is the brand ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks