Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2008, 19:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

Good that this thread is revived!! I had a question to ask regarding remote locks... In case I have locked the car with the remote and for some reason the remote is not working and when i press unlock, nothing happens. I try to unlock with the key and the alarms start howling. Is there a way of opening the door with the key on a remote locked car without tripping off the alarms or is the only option to open it with the key and wait for the alarms to stop wailing (which evidently takes ages at times)??
Old 28th October 2008, 23:54   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Good that this thread is revived!! I had a question to ask regarding remote locks... In case I have locked the car with the remote and for some reason the remote is not working and when i press unlock, nothing happens. I try to unlock with the key and the alarms start howling. Is there a way of opening the door with the key on a remote locked car without tripping off the alarms or is the only option to open it with the key and wait for the alarms to stop wailing (which evidently takes ages at times)??
Yes! infact you can do that. You can connect a switch to the siren and secretly conceal the switch somewhere in the underside of the dashboard in the legroom (let only u know abt it). In case you want to trigger the siren off, then you can just switch it off!

But this is strictly not adviced, because this works in more favour to the thieves than to you!
Old 11th November 2008, 00:12   #33
BHPian

Hi friends, needed some help from you. I have a 2002 esteem and there is something very odd going on with its central locking button.

I hope I can explain it properly, but here goes:
1) The door lock on driver's side is working perfectly. When i push it in open position all the other three door locks go in open position.

2) If the door lock on driver's side is in locked position, then the central locking button(the one in the armrest panel) works only to open the other three doors. It does not open the driver side door and the other three doors cannot be locked again using the central locking button

3) Similarly, if the door lock on driver's side is in open position, the central locking button would work once to lock the other three doors. It would not lock the driver side door and will not work again to open any of the doors.

Maruti Care Point in Shivajinagar, Pune said that they could attempt to fix it but they would have to remove the whole panel, disconnect all the buttons (including the ones for power windows) and there is a good chance that either of the other buttons could break in an attempt to fix this one. Also if it does, we cannot source it as a spare part.

Though this problem is not very critical, I am really at my wit's end on how to proceed. Should I risk a repair for such a small problem or just grin and bear it.
Old 11th November 2008, 07:06   #34
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalpipraiya View Post
Hi friends, needed some help from you. I have a 2002 esteem and there is something very odd going on with its central locking button...
The driver's door mechanism is both a motor driven lock and a SPDT (single pole double throw) switch. The other three door mechanisms are only motor driven locks, sans switches.

The defect in your car is in the driver's door lock motor+switch mechanism.

When the driver's door is locked, the SPDT is in position A (unlock enable). This does two things.
  1. It sends a lock signal to the other three doors, thereby locking them.
  2. It enables the central switch to send "unlock" signals to all 4 doors.
When the driver's door is unlocked, the SPDT is in position B (lock enable). This does two things.
  1. It sends an unlock signal to the other three doors, thereby unlocking them.
  2. It enables the central switch to send "lock" signals to all 4 doors.
As the driver's door motor in your car is sticky or defective, it cannot be electrically locked or unlocked by your central panel.

However if you manually (physically) lock it, the SPDT is thrown to position A. This sends lock signals to the other three doors, and lets the central panel send unlock signals to all four doors. The driver's door motor being defective, however won't electrically unlock, so won't automatically throw the switch to position B.

Now if you manually(physically) unlock the driver's door, the SPDT is forced to position B, which sends unlock signals to the other three doors, and lets the central panel send lock signals to all four doors. The driver's door motor being defective, however won't electrically lock, so won't automatically throw the switch to position A.

Finding? The defect in your car is in the driver's door lock motor mechanism!! Elementary, my dear Watson!

My suggestion, is that if you repair/replace it, everything will work fine again.

Ram
Old 11th November 2008, 18:33   #35
BHPian

@Ram: Thanks a lot. It's distinguished members like you who make this forum worth its while. I had to read your reply thrice but I could finally make sense of what you are saying but I got it in the end. I hope I can explain the same to the mechanic at the service center. Thanks again and cheers.
Old 11th November 2008, 20:54   #36
BHPian

Hail Ram!
What a lucid explanation, sounded like a Popular mechanics article.
Old 11th November 2008, 23:40   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Hail Ram!
What a lucid explanation, sounded like a Popular mechanics article.
Hail Ram yes! I'd reckon that Popular Mechanics articles sound like Ram's explanations !
Old 7th December 2008, 17:20   #38
BHPian

as an update, the operation was successful and with the help of ram's explanation almost literally communicated to the mechanic he was able to fix the central locking business! Thanks all.
Old 30th December 2008, 22:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks,

I picked up a 2004 Zen Lxi recently. The owner has fitted a remote lock. But it is currently not working. The battries were changed last week and it worked fine for 2 days and again started giving trouble. When I press the lock/unlock button, only the LED flashes but it does not function. I read on this thread that all remote locks will have central locks installed.

Question:
1) Is it simple to remove the wiring for the remote lock and retain only the central locking?
2) The unit is not an autocop unit. Not even sure what the name of the unit is. It just says Smart on top of it. When checked with the local mechanic, he quoted Rs. 3500 to fix it. Is this legit and does it cost so much to fix it?

I would rather prefer getting rid of the remote lock if thats simpler rather than trusting a local mechanic with the wiring for the remote lock. And also since its not a trusted brand (As far as i am aware) i would rather be better off without it and just the central locking.

Opinions and suggestions please!
Old 31st December 2008, 00:27   #40
BHPian

For Rs. 3500/- you can get a brand new remote locking and alarm system fitted. so if the mechanic is suggesting a replacement with a warranty than its ok otherwise it is way too high. The new system is to be installed by the authorised service mechanic from the company supplying the unit otherwise the warranty may be lost.
If your car came with a company fitted central locking then you can take out the installed remote locking unit and restore to the original central locking mechanism. Anyway you should either replace the malfunctioning unit or remove it otherwise it may cause some problem at a later date since some of these units have security features like disabling the ignition etc. which can cause starting problem etc.
Old 2nd January 2009, 20:08   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask77 View Post
Anyway you should either replace the malfunctioning unit or remove it otherwise it may cause some problem at a later date since some of these units have security features like disabling the ignition etc. which can cause starting problem etc.
Thats what i thought too!! Hence i posted here to check which is a better choice. I am going to Pratham this weekend. That's where the original owner bought this car from. I will check with them if its a remote lock fitted by them. Anyone heard if there is a security system for cars called Smart..?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks