Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2006, 22:22   #16
BHPian

Ok.. does anybody know the K&N Extreme Series part number for WagonR Universal Conical filter and its prices including the piping etc.
Old 25th October 2006, 22:24   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC
I think I am bitten by the upgrade bug for my WagonR. Anyways, I have a few questions regarding replacement filters. I am aware of two brands K&N and Ractive. First what is the difference between a replacement filter/Universal filter and a Intake system.

Which one is better?
Do they improve performance? How?
What are the prices for Replacement and Intake from both these brands? I read in shrivz post that he bought the Ractive ev500 for Rs.2300/-, but am not sure whether the price was for the intake system or the filter
My contribution to this topic is this: Having put in a stock replacement K&N filter for my Swift 1 month ago, and altho I am pretty pleased with its performance of a quieter engine and slightly better driveability, I can objectively state that unless you're going in for a conical filter wherein the difference in performance is immediately visible, a stock replacement filter is not required for regular driving. You can live well with the OEM filter itself. Not to mention, saving that 4500 Gandhis.
Old 25th October 2006, 22:30   #18
BHPian

just wondering if the prices have dropped on the knns .. i paid somewhere close to 4500 for a stock replacement for my 1.3 carb esteem
Old 25th October 2006, 22:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
My contribution to this topic is this: Having put in a stock replacement K&N filter for my Swift 1 month ago, and altho I am pretty pleased with its performance of a quieter engine and slightly better driveability, I can objectively state that unless you're going in for a conical filter wherein the difference in performance is immediately visible, a stock replacement filter is not required for regular driving. You can live well with the OEM filter itself. Not to mention, saving that 4500 Gandhis.
Thanks MAG. with you. I have decided to go either with Conical Universal as you suggested for "the difference in performance is immediately visible" or not at all. Just waiting to find out how many Gandhis i have to do away with for the Extreme Series with pipe for WagonR and if possible the part no.
Old 25th October 2006, 22:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC
Hydrashok, how much were they asking for Extreme? Any idea...?
hyper, the TATA folks wouldn't do an Extreme install. They would do stock only. But I did check the extreme's approx. install cost at another place. Was told it would run to near 7K with the best plumbing -- polished stainless steel pipe, some kind of other stuff between the pipe and the filter (I'm not a petrolhead, sorry) and install.
Old 25th October 2006, 23:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

@hyper-vtec:
Wait till 12th november. Pj's shipment of conical filters is arriving and it'll cost u around 2000. Proper plumbing and Installation can be done by the bangalore tuners like Psycho or FRK or RAC.
Old 26th October 2006, 00:07   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
@hyper-vtec:
Wait till 12th november. Pj's shipment of conical filters is arriving and it'll cost u around 2000. Proper plumbing and Installation can be done by the bangalore tuners like Psycho or FRK or RAC.
Thanks a lot. nitrous for the alert. I was quite sad and confused looking at 7K. But its good. I can definitely wait till 12th-Nov...no race to take part in .
Old 26th October 2006, 18:58   #23
BHPian

Thanks a lot Yogesh, sorry about yesterday's call, I was in office at that moment & a client with me. Thanks again for the help.
Old 6th November 2006, 21:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp
Hi hyper-VTEC

between K&N and Ractive I really don't know the difference as i've used only a K&N for my 800.
.......................................... Drive on
shibujp.
100,000 miles !!!!
i never knew that.
it means i need not change my air filter everytime i give to servicing the car.
by the way,
I have a 2003 indica V2 deisel, the car troubles me very much when driving in the city with AC on. the car does not take the pickup in second gear if the speed is below 15 kmph with the AC on, i am forced to shift to first gear and then to second, this is a big trouble when in the trafic; i have spoke to the TATA service guys but they say it is like that with the car, nothing can be done. :( . what should i do to rectify this problem. by going for a K N or anyother filter would help me ?
Old 7th November 2006, 09:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
What filter did you install in your swift?
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black][FONT=Arial]K&N part no: 33-2824??

[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
You also mentioned conical filters, I could not find a conical filter recommended for the Indian Swift on the K&N Website.. could you elaborate a little?

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black][FONT=Arial]
[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 7th November 2006, 12:36   #26
Team-BHP Support

I've got a Ractive filter onto my 1.5 ohc since almost 8 months now, have no hard and fast comparisons to a K & N, but i can surely tell the difference before and after the filter install.

Stock Replacement filters are a waste of money if you're looking at getting any better performace from the engine, to me its just a cheaper option to changing the air filter through the lifetime of your car. So unless you can't find air filters for your car, a Stock Replacement filter is a waste of money.

Just to add, conical filters are good, but you have to give it a few hundred kms to realise the difference post install, don't expect your car to start flying or anything close to that.

manson.
Old 9th November 2006, 11:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
Just to add, conical filters are good, but you have to give it a few hundred kms to realise the difference post install, don't expect your car to start flying or anything close to that.
good...this means i've yet to see the true potential of my K&N... fitted it last week.
i'm fitting OWS iridium plugs today... those should pack some punch.
i will be posting a review of sorts in the near future... pics et all.
Old 9th November 2006, 11:15   #28
BHPian

What conical filter along with intake pipe would you suggest for a swift?
I have been unable to find any conicals in my search for the swift.
What would be the cost of this filter+ inlet pipe+installation?
Tx.
AB.
Old 9th November 2006, 12:18   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek
What conical filter along with intake pipe would you suggest for a swift?
I have been unable to find any conicals in my search for the swift.
What would be the cost of this filter+ inlet pipe+installation?
Tx.
AB.
how can one have a problem finding a conical filter, the other name for them is Universal. Ask one of the experts around for which model etc, from ractive i think the ev 500 should do fine, costs around 2500.
Piping if mild steel should cost abour 300-400, aluminium should be between 1000-1500, i paid 1200 for mine. you can look up my ohc garage for a pic of that. Also make sure that the hose hooked to the filter is not choked.

manson.
Old 9th November 2006, 12:20   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077
good...this means i've yet to see the true potential of my K&N... fitted it last week.
i'm fitting OWS iridium plugs today... those should pack some punch.
i will be posting a review of sorts in the near future... pics et all.
always give it a while between upgrades, so you can actually notice what has made how much differece, than just knowing/feeling you car is faster now.

manson.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks