Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2017, 21:48   #16
BHPian

re: Brand new Elantra 1.6L diesel sounds like a tractor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Dear OP

Dont mind me saying this. I mean no offence.

First things first. Go and find another Elantra diesel of the same model. Come to Kolkata of you have to. Take a test drive. First ascertain that this sound is only in your car or all Elantra s?

None taken as I appreciate all feedback I get here . We will tomorrow drive down to the hyundai showroom here , they have the elantra as well as creta 1.6 which has same engine so two different cars to compare against .

But we have driven the creta previously and don't recall it sounding this bad and we are very familiar with diesel cars of this price range - innova( we ride one frequently ) , corolla , skoda (dad's good friend has a 6 year old laura that is butter smooth ) ; it is truly horrendous and I am not exaggerating when I compare it to an used Indica . I don't believe I am jumping the gun here by crying foul , we have enough experience with cars to tell apart abnormal engine noise but I will nonetheless do a comparison tomorrow at showroom . Even if there is no defect and this was common in their entire range , this would be completely unacceptable in a car this costly . In its present state , it is embarrassing to start the engine in company .

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Just my opinion. The sound with the bonnet down sounds pretty normal for a diesel to me and i actually don't find it excessive of any sorts, infact i find it smooth(again just my opinion the video might have toned down the sound or it might not replicate what you are actually hearing in reality). However i would suggest you to check other cars of the same make throughly before coming down to a conclusion of any defect.
Turn up your volume is all I can say because while the phone camera cannot capture the full extent of the racket , it still does a good job. Check out the first video with hood up , that sounds like a tractor engine. We are quite familiar with cars in this range and I am speaking diesel - corolla ,various skoda cars , even hyundai creta which has same engine (we test drove the top model) etc etc. Not even a single one of them sounds remotely as bad . I highly doubt this is common across every elantra because if that were the case , then they would struggle to sell it in the first place . We are fully aware diesel will make more noise than petrol , we also expect it to be a lot quieter than a used Indica when we pay 22 L .
Old 27th January 2017, 22:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Might be a not so great fuel issue also, or such (since this happened after refuel) and honestly the video does not sound very alarming. Then again may not be fair since mobile phones are not best tools to record such sounds.

Edit: watched the first video again and it does sound coarse, even a complete drain of current fuel and refill with shudh IOC diesel is worth while
If the showroom is willing to fire up their car tomorrow and let us park our's next to that , I will do a comparison video - I recall the showroom here having a 1.6 creta for test drive and it is generally parked outside . Camera phone amplify certain sounds and drown down other , for example- in person , one can also hear a very audible ticking sound very identical to the tappet racket of royal enfield motorcycles but it is drowned out in the video .

The tank has 50 litre , we will first see what showroom has to say before we drain it - we need a drum to begin with haha
Old 28th January 2017, 00:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
None taken as I appreciate all feedback I get here . We will tomorrow drive down to the hyundai showroom here , they have the elantra as well as creta 1.6 which has same engine so two different cars to compare against .
Different cars have different sound deadening. Try to compare against an elantra only.
AbhiJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 01:10   #19
BHPian

Am I the only one thinking that the sound is pretty ok for a cold start diesel? If I were you i would stop thinking about it, get a full tank of refuel at a trusted pump. Get the air filter clean (i know its a new car yet just being old fashioned) if not for anything else but just for kicks change the engine oil and see what happens.
Old 28th January 2017, 02:45   #20
BHPian

I'm not very sure about the noises a diesel Elantra makes , like everyone is saying get it checked from the Hyundai Service Center if there is any issue with the car.
But!
If you get the weird response where they say " Sir , it's a diesel car and the engine is made this way "
Consider getting your car Dampened from 3M , they claim that it reduces engine, tyre and outside noise drastically!
I haven't done it myself , but I am planning on going and getting it done for my Terrano
akshar890 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 23:44   #21
BHPian

Re: Brand new Elantra 1.6L diesel sounds like a tractor!

Updates .

Saturday - Took the car to service centre and compared the engine sound of our car with that of a 1.6 creta (they have no elantra ) , a test drive car with 30,000 km done . Our brand new elantra diesel on idle makes equal , if not more , racket than that test ride creta . The manager actually had the nerves to tell us to our face this is all good . After we said it is not , they started the usual spiel that it is our ear or that the car is in sports mode ( the car irrespective of mode makes the same damn sound at idle ) . Anyways he simply refused to budge from his position and we left disgusted at how a man can compare this brand new car with a well beaten test ride car and say it normal for both to make same engine racket . Finally another chap arrived , said it might be fuel quality issue and promised he will address the same as we return for our first service soon (in another 200 km ) . I don't trust he will though .

Sunday - we took the car out for a ride along the foothill of Himalayas , one of the objectives was to burn the fuel - dad suspect the fuel might be at fault because we got a mileage of 13.5( road very good , car driven sedately at low rpm throughout which should improve fuel efficiency) while the 500km ride a few days back had returned 15km on far inferior road . It is such a great car to drive and be driven in , but it is mighty difficult to get over the fact that it sounds like some random diesel hatchback which will cost one a fraction of this car .
It was our fault perhaps to take such a leap of faith because we wouldn't have purchased diesel ( opt for petrol instead ) if we were remotely aware that it sounds like this - I repeat we were aware of diesel making more noise than petrol but diesel from other brands in this price range are significantly more refined . I am also curious how online reviewers could actually mistake the diesel for a petrol as they stress in their reviews if I am to believe the service centre chap that this is what every elantra sounds like .....

Last edited by basuroy : 30th January 2017 at 23:51.
Old 31st January 2017, 01:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Saturday - Took the car to service centre and compared the engine sound of our car with that of a 1.6 creta (they have no elantra ) , a test drive car with 30,000 km done . Our brand new elantra diesel on idle makes equal , if not more , racket than that test ride creta . The manager actually had the nerves to tell us to our face this is all good . After we said it is not , they started the usual spiel that it is our ear or that the car is in sports mode ( the car irrespective of mode makes the same damn sound at idle ) ..
Buddy, come down to Kolkata. Take a test drive in another Elantra. If after that you feel that your car is defective, then definitely escalate this.

If you want any help in Kolkata drop me a PM.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 09:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saturday - Took the car to service centre and compared the engine sound of our car with that of a 1.6 creta (they have no elantra ) , a test drive car with 30,000 km done . Our brand new elantra diesel on idle makes equal , if not more , racket than that test ride creta . The manager actually had the nerves to tell us to our face this is all good
I'm not sure why you think that a car should get less refined with more miles on the clock - if anything, a car gets smoother after running in and oil changes. If the Creta makes the same noise as your Elantra, then there isn't anything to worry about.

You may complain that the refinement is poor but it does seem like there is nothing wrong with your car.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 09:22   #24
BHPian

To tell the truth that sounds like a healthy diesel. In Diesels the refinement increases post 25000kms and the sound may go down. You can check if all the filters and grade of engine oil is correct. I drove an Elantra - I could hear the engine outside but only minimal sound inside the cabin.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 09:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Not sure what you are worried about friend. Its in warranty and Hyundai should be able to fix up any injector issues.

See if you can ask any of your friends to hear the noise and decide. But Hyundai do have a smoother sounding diesels compared to for ex VW.

Whatever you do, keep track of the complaints that you file with service center and get it rectified at the earliest.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 10:52   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I share my parking space with an elantra, and I admired the lack of sound in the basement parking. But do take that with a handful of rock salt because I drive a 11 year old diesel.
One thing though. If you suspect the fuel to be faulty, or if there is something wrong internally with the car, is it the best idea to drive in order to burn off fuel. If it is the fuel causing issues, or any other fault, it will just get worse.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 11:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
To tell the truth that sounds like a healthy diesel.... I could hear the engine outside but only minimal sound inside the cabin.
Agree. Listened to both videos in the thread and don't hear anything alarming. This level of noise is to be expected from a diesel on the Outside.

Quote:
Updates .
Saturday - Took the car to service centre and compared the engine sound of our car with that of a 1.6 creta (they have no elantra ) , a test drive car with 30,000 km done . Our brand new elantra diesel on idle makes equal , if not more , racket than that test ride creta. The manager actually had the nerves to tell us to our face this is all good
Perhaps the manager is treating this as a case of buyers remorse. It always helps to take a longish test drive to get a realistic picture of the vehicle one is considering.

If the car is yet to be registered, you might be able to exchange / sell it and get a petrol.
CrackedHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 14:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

can any injector cleaning additives help if the issue is due to blocked injectors?
anything recommended for/found to be effective on hyundai diesels?
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 14:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

For me, it looks like classic Buyer's Remorse Syndrome. I may be wrong. But, if this issue is real, then my suggestion would be to
1. Keep the original dealer informed about all the issues that you faced with the car immediately and ask for a solution. If going back is not a feasibility, then, he will suggest you whom to contact in your town to get this rectified.
2. Take his suggestions and follow them religiously till you drive back.
3. If going back to original dealer town is a feasibility, drive back to the original dealer and get the problem rectified with him.

Going to various other dealers/mechanics will only confuse you more due to their free advice. Also. chances of they giving right analysis and cause for the issue and providing a resolution is less since they are not the main stake holders AND they are not impacted.

However, your Original dealer will definitely have a large stake and will get impacted if you publish the issue in social media.

Last edited by gkveda : 31st January 2017 at 14:41.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 16:38   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Updates .

Saturday - Took the car to service centre and compared the engine sound of our car with that of a 1.6 creta (they have no elantra ) , a test drive car with 30,000 km done . Our brand new elantra diesel on idle makes equal , if not more , racket than that test ride creta ....
Since the clatter was almost identical to the creta I would suggest you to not worry. Since the car is fairly new the sound and clatter will be slightly on the higher side. It will ease out as you put on the miles and the sound will get smoother, usually after 2k kms or so.
blackbandit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks