Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2017, 17:49   #1
BHPian

Brand new Elantra 1.6L diesel sounds like a tractor!

I have already solicited opinion in the elantra specific thread but I believe this deserves a thread of its own . Car is question is the 1.6 ltr diesel top model costing us about 22L on road.

Long story short , father took a leap of faith and booked the car without test drive , the other option being the outgoing toyota corolla (german brands were not considered due to lack of service centre ) . He took delivery 3 days back in Bardhaman (West Bengal) and drove the car all the way down to Siliguri , a 500km drive . It had occurred to my mother the car was making abnormal sound inside the cabin but I believe my father ignored the same in his initial euphoria . However over the 500km drive to Siliguri , he realised something is wrong with this car . There is absolutely no issue with either engine response or transmission or anything , it is simply that the engine is making a hideous racket that reminds us of the Indica we purchased 16 years back .

He made a mistake taking delivery of this car but that ship has sailed , as things stand , we have a car that is making this kind of noise and what options do we have -
1. Can we get the car replaced ?
2. Can we get engine replaced ? In this case , can a typical service centre even do that or only a factory is capable of the same ?
3. Can the engine be fixed ? My own search on internet suggest a service centre fix is generally temporary .
4. How much can we expect if we sell this car with around 700km on odo ? We are actually considering it because it is intolerable .

He upgraded from a swift dzire to this car , the man is gutted right now and it is painful to see for me .

Here is a video with the bonnet up -

Last edited by basuroy : 27th January 2017 at 17:50.
basuroy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 18:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Brand new Elantra 1.6L diesel sounds like a tractor!

Faulty injector. Its odd for a brand new car.

But the question is wasn't this noticed during PDI and at the time of delivery?
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 18:14   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Faulty injector. Its odd for a brand new car.

But the question is wasn't this noticed during PDI and at the time of delivery?
That is what is so shocking for me that my father took delivery of this car !!!

But as much as both me and my mom have expressed the same to him , I feel sorry as well because I feel the euphoria drowned out the engine racket . Is this is a relatively simple fix or difficult to rectify ?

We are curious whether this car can be exchanged by the dealer for another car , preferably petrol even if it costs us 1 - 2 lakh premium at this point . The car is on A/F plate and maybe we can get the registration process cancelled .
Old 27th January 2017, 18:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
The car is on A/F plate and maybe we can get the registration process cancelled .
If it is not registered permanently I have heard that there is a way to halt the process. Consult with an informed lawyer and/or RTOfficer as soon as possible also inform the dealership.

Quote:
Is this is a relatively simple fix or difficult to rectify ?
Faulty injector(s) needs to be replaced, this is not a complex task. Warranty should cover it. But do it if you can't get them to replace the car.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 18:29   #5
BHPian

Quote:
If it is not registered permanently I have heard that there is a way to halt the process. Consult with an informed lawyer and/or RTOfficer as soon as possible also inform the dealership.

Faulty injector(s) needs to be replaced, this is not a complex task. Warranty should cover it. But do it if you can't get them to replace the car.
First of all thank you for your response as this helped calm some nerves here

We spoke to the dealer and asked whether he is willing to exchange the car for a petrol but he refused . We will take it to Siliguri Hyundai showroom tomorrow and compare with other similar engine vehicles there.

On the injector thing , can any typical service centre be trusted to do it satisfactorily or should we perhaps drive it to Kolkata (not an easy task , appalling 500km road ) and get it done at a bigger showroom there . Will this problem crop up again later or once the injector is changed , it is all good ?
Old 27th January 2017, 18:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the injector thing , can any typical service centre be trusted to do it satisfactorily or should we perhaps drive it to Kolkata (not an easy task , appalling 500km road ) and get it done at a bigger showroom there . Will this problem crop up again later or once the injector is changed , it is all good ?
Never. The car is under warranty take it to Hyundai only, and preferably the main dealer as they are usually better equipped and manned. Also try another tankful of diesel from a known fuel station and see how it drives. Hyundai Diesels are known to be the most refined of the lot and this sounds rough indeed.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 18:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Never. The car is under warranty take it to Hyundai only, and preferably the main dealer as they are usually better equipped and manned. Also try another tankful of diesel from a known fuel station and see how it drives. Hyundai Diesels are known to be the most refined of the lot and this sounds rough indeed.
There is only one dealer at Siliguri so we will take it to them but they appear quite active and hopefully have good staff.

On the fuel aspect , father says the dealer initially tanked the car up with 10 litre fuel which they had obtained from a petrol pump nearby . He had since filled up at typical fuel pumps .

It is prolly not clear in the video but in person, one can distinguish a tick tick tick tick sound which reminded me of the noise one associates with royal enfield motorcycles , especially the old one .

Out of curiosity , has a similar case been reported in this forum specific to this brand and engine type ? I believe the same motor is also found in previous elantra , creta etc .

Last edited by basuroy : 27th January 2017 at 18:47.
Old 27th January 2017, 18:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

This is a phenomenon termed as 'knocking' of injectors in a common rail diesel.

This could be due to a faulty injector(s) fitted at factory, (highly unlikely)

OR

spurious fuel from a shady pump (very much a possibility)

Since the car has done 700 kms only, am assuming that it is still in the first tankfull?

Try filling from a reputed bunk and see if there is any improvement in noise, if not take it to HASS.

Make sure the injectors are replaced and not serviced.

Replacement of car is a far fetch at this juncture, TBH.
DRIV3R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 18:57   #9
Team-BHP Support

Was this video shot when engine was cold? If yes then may not be the right time to assess. Usually sounds subside a bit once they are at running temperature.

Showing to dealer is a good idea, since it can be a simple issue as some air lock in the fuel system also. Even if it is a faulty injector, all it takes is a replacement which would be covered under warranty. I would not worry about replacing the vehicle till i do these check at a dealership.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 19:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Was this video shot when engine was cold? If yes then may not be the right time to assess. Usually sounds subside a bit once they are at running temperature.

Showing to dealer is a good idea, since it can be a simple issue as some air lock in the fuel system also. Even if it is a faulty injector, all it takes is a replacement which would be covered under warranty. I would not worry about replacing the vehicle till i do these check at a dealership.
Yes it was(video shot after engine ran for about 2 minutes ) but I had listened to the sound last night too after it was driven for 500km and it sounded just as bad .

The thing is when one pays that much , even a simple fix at a dealer really sours the experience. All our weekend plans are cancelled . While it goes without saying my father didn't practice caution while taking delivery ( myself being a t-bhp member , I had warned him how cases like this are frequent ) but that doesn't absolves hyundai from delivering a car like this . But I believe if the assessment here is correct and this turns out to be a simple and permanent fix , we will surely get over it

It is such a beautiful car , everything about it is perfect and up to expectation or even surpasses expectation(we purchased blind based on internet feedback and photos) except the engine racket .

UPDATE -

I was having difficulty believing my father who has been driving since mid 90s could take delivery of a car in this state so I asked again as he had just returned from office . Father says , and he sounds confident now , that car was not making this racket during delivery . The noise my mother had reported during drive was due to high rpm ( the car was in some semi automatic mode and rpm was crossing 4000 where some noise is natural ). I believe him because even the most naive man would have noticed the racket during delivery , at present , it sounds worse than used Indica even with bonnet down . During delivery , I was in touch with them and more than once had asked if the car sounded like a premium car and my father said yes . Later when I heard it in person , I assumed he had ignored the racket in initial euphoria .

Moreover , my mother is now recalling that after they filled up diesel at a fairly big pump everyone fills up at( Indian Oil ) , the car suddenly started making more sound ( I will take this with a pinch of salt as she can be incorrect in her assessment , my father doesn't agrees that there was any sudden jump in noise ) . This would suggest the diagnosis that this is injector related is indeed probable . They are sure they didn't fill up petrol and the car would anyways have stalled by now if that were the case .

I know this is so confusing but I can merely report what I receive from the HQ and it will be kind of everyone to forgive the conflicting description .

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th January 2017 at 21:32. Reason: Back to back post, EDIT original post instead. Thanks.
Old 27th January 2017, 19:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Do this

Quote:
Also try another tankful of diesel from a known fuel station and see how it drives.
and if the issue persists take it to the dealer. Solution is either ECU update if applicable or injector change.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 19:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Do this

and if the issue persists take it to the dealer. Solution is either ECU update if applicable or injector change.
It already has a near full tank , they filled up just before they arrived at home . Do you think it is safe to drive around in the present condition ? . In any case , we intend to take it to service centre tomorrow .

It is surprising it should happen to us , one thing we always take great care about is petrol pumps - we never fill up at those pumps only frequented by truck driver etc and the one they filled up at just before arriving at home is perhaps the largest pump in Siliguri and one can often spot even a BMW filling up there.

Can this noise be indicative of water presence in fuel ?

This occurred to my father because a friend of his who owned a honda city had experienced something similar - after fill up one fine day , the car started making abnormal sound with vibration ( we are taking our car out now to check for vibrations ) and stalled after some time . The SVC in his case had said it was due to water presence in fuel .

New video shot after a 5 min long drive inside the cantonment . This is with bonnet down . The phone camera slightly subdues the full extent that we are being subjected to haha . All noise is purely from the engine , there was no ambient sound .

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th January 2017 at 21:33. Reason: Back to back post, use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 21:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Dear OP

Dont mind me saying this. I mean no offence.

First things first. Go and find another Elantra diesel of the same model. Come to Kolkata of you have to. Take a test drive. First ascertain that this sound is only in your car or all Elantra s?

If and once you are sure that this is a problem particular to your car, we can start finding a Solution.

And relax, you are under warranty.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 21:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
New video shot after a 5 min long drive inside the cantonment . This is with bonnet down . The phone camera slightly subdues the full extent that we are being subjected to haha . All noise is purely from the engine , there was no ambient sound .
Just my opinion. The sound with the bonnet down sounds pretty normal for a diesel to me and i actually don't find it excessive of any sorts, infact i find it smooth(again just my opinion the video might have toned down the sound or it might not replicate what you are actually hearing in reality). However i would suggest you to check other cars of the same make throughly before coming down to a conclusion of any defect.

On a side note: I had the same feeling when i made a switch from petrol to diesel car. I felt the noise on the higher side and even compared my car with the others at the dealership for personal satisfaction. But eventually i got used to it and it never bothers me now.
blackbandit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 21:39   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Can this noise be indicative of water presence in fuel ?
=====
New video shot after a 5 min long drive inside the cantonment . This is with bonnet down .
Might be a not so great fuel issue also, or such (since this happened after refuel) and honestly the video does not sound very alarming. Then again may not be fair since mobile phones are not best tools to record such sounds.

Edit: watched the first video again and it does sound coarse, even a complete drain of current fuel and refill with shudh IOC diesel is worth while

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th January 2017 at 21:51.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks