Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2017, 17:36   #31
BHPian

I don't think you can make this sound judgment from a phone video. The sound levels can vary greatly from what it sounds upfront. That said, the bonnet-up video sounds rather harsh indeed.

As far as I have seen, Hyundai's diesels have really smooth sound and minimal NVH levels.

The max you can do right now is to check oil level first. Then check if the hoses connecting the air filter to the inlet manifold is all secured properly complete from the resonator (if it has one), which it most likely has, and the turbo hoses etc. I'm not sure you can keep on driving long distances in this condition just in case it is a malfunction of some sort, on a new car. You've already done 500 km. That's been pushing your luck already.

Secondly, try to get hold of another same model car at a nearby showroom or ASS and request them to jave you hear the idle of that car.

Somehow, I have a hunch that you guys may not be used to driving diesels and are predominantly petrol heads. I may be wrong here. Handle this carefully.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 22:11   #32
BHPian

Re: Brand new Elantra 1.6L diesel sounds like a tractor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Since the clatter was almost identical to the creta I would suggest you to not worry. Since the car is fairly new the sound and clatter will be slightly on the higher side. It will ease out as you put on the miles and the sound will get smoother, usually after 2k kms or so.
The issue is the creta in question is a test ride car with 30,000km done already . It is difficult for us to accept that a brand new car should make similar racket as a car that has run 30,00km . Our experience with diesel in past was that the noise level increases with time and mileage .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
I'm not sure you can keep on driving long distances in this condition just in case it is a malfunction of some sort, on a new car. You've already done 500 km. That's been pushing your luck already.
Thank you for the suggestions , we will check them ourselves and anyways I have noted them down to convey the same to service centre during our first service which imminent .

While we ourselves had doubt about driving it around , Service centre tells us it is fine to do so and if any problem crops up , we will let them deal with it . The car is already lost its initial beauty in our eyes , it feels "used" for lack of a better word .

Another model is all but impossible , Siliguri is a SUV only market ; hyundai showroom here doesn't even has a verna , let alone elantra. So far they say they have sold 0 elantra so the option of engaging with fellow customer is not available either .

To an extent you are correct , our last diesel car was the original Indica which we replaced with a dzire around 2009. But before placing a blind order for the elantra , we test drove diesel sedans from skoda( a 6 year old laura) and toyota - both brand in this price range offer very refined diesel motors . We figured hyundai cannot be that bad compared to them but what we got reminds us of the indica we purchased 17 years earlier . That is a nasty feeling to get over .
Old 31st January 2017, 22:31   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Buddy, come down to Kolkata.
If you want any help in Kolkata drop me a PM.
I personally might be around town around 20th of feb . There is a hyundai showroom hardly 100meter(the one on the New Alipore triangular park) from our home in Kolkata , will drop by there . If needed , will definitely PM you , appreciate the support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I'm not sure why you think that a car should get less refined with more miles on the clock
You may complain that the refinement is poor but it does seem like there is nothing wrong with your car.
I hope I am wrong here but our perception is shaped by the only diesel car we owned - the original indica purchased during 99. In spite of regular servicing , it progressively became louder .

If this is normal though , then compared to the corolla/innova diesel and the 6 year old skoda laura diesel we test drove , I will say refinement of those brands are noticeably better , especially at rpm below 2000 . The laura which my father's colleague drives makes next to no sound at idle . They are all in same price range and our decision to buy hyundai blind was due to the misconception that refinement across brand in a given price range will be largely similar .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
If you suspect the fuel to be faulty, or if there is something wrong internally with the car, is it the best idea to drive in order to burn off fuel. If it is the fuel causing issues, or any other fault, it will just get worse.
I never raised the fuel quality issue at the service centre ( it would have given them an easy way out really ) but later , one of their own hinted that we should drive around and burn the present quantity and then tank up at Indian oil in time for our first service .There is no vibration or poor feedback from engine though , only sound is abnormal. The engine itself feels superb if we ignore the racket .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
It always helps to take a longish test drive to get a realistic picture of the vehicle one is considering.

If the car is yet to be registered, you might be able to exchange / sell it and get a petrol.
First car purchased without test drive and we kind of regret it ( not the car itself but choice of engine , we should have gone with petrol - we anyways have a second car for the mundane driving so mileage shouldn't have been a decisive factor ). However at time of booking , test ride was never possible because there were no test ride cars either in Siliguri or Bardhaman . And we were considering a new car for over 6 months and impulse got better of my us .

We asked the dealer if he can exchange for a petrol , he refused .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
For me, it looks like classic Buyer's Remorse Syndrome. I may be wrong. But, if this issue is real, then my suggestion would be to
1. Keep the original dealer informed about all the issues that you faced with the car immediately and ask for a solution. If going back is not a feasibility, then, he will suggest you whom to contact in your town to get this rectified.

However, your Original dealer will definitely have a large stake and will get impacted if you publish the issue in social media.
You are correct , father is indeed regretting not going for petrol . I think this is what is making it more difficult to come to terms with this car , he is confused why mileage(only reason to purchase diesel ) became so important when we were always going to retain the dzire for the mundane tasks .

We notified the original dealer , he is the one who got us the appointment with the Siliguri hyundai manager . I have also shared the video on hyundai's fb page and instead of deleting it , they contacted me via mail ( asked for car engine number ) so lets see.

Last edited by basuroy : 31st January 2017 at 22:34.
Old 3rd February 2017, 18:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
The issue is the creta in question is a test ride car with 30,000km done already . It is difficult for us to accept that a brand new car should make similar racket as a car that has run 30,00km . Our experience with diesel in past was that the noise level increases with time and mileage .
I dont have any inputs to the problem you are referring but do want to correct this misnomer about racket increasing with mileage on diesels. While it may be true on indica or older generation engines but on current crop the new engine is always more noisy and less smooth then once it has put on some 10k kms. I saw it happen both with my Figo TDCi and XUV. Hyundai diesels though in general are fairly smoother and quieter than rest of the lot. If 30K km Creta sounds similar to your car, then its not a bad sign.

Do let us know what the final resolution of the problem is.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 23:57   #35
BHPian

The engine noise in the videos seems to be normal. Diesel engine are rackety.

If you are not getting jerks, low mileage, poor engine response, excessive black smoke, then everything is normal.

DO NOT LET ANYONE TOUCH YOUR CAR. Let the engine settle down.

Its simply an issue of sound insulation. Check how can you insulate the sound inside the cabin.
Old 23rd February 2017, 04:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

Well that sounds about right to me for a diesel engine however, mileage of 13.5 with low rpm driving is a tad too low. I would suggest filling it up from a known good pump and observe the performance of the engine for the next few weeks. In anycase this is a new car and therefore underwarranty. I am sure Hyundai aftersales will take care in case of any issue.

Most Viewed