Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2017, 14:57   #46
BHPian

re: My 1.5 year old Volkswagen Jetta caught fire! EDIT : Now RESOLVED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Just to clear a couple of things, The amount of damage a rat can do is totally under estimated by many people, For instance a error light would pop up if something is damaged! Well it happened with me when one fine morning i started my jetta and outside temperature was shown as "--", I was like maybe the sensor has gone kaput, I drove the car for 2-3 hours and everything worked fine and then suddenly the AC stopped working, And after half an hour the check engine light came up, What was the most shocking thing? I popped the hood and saw a big fat rat jumping out and running away! He was inside the car all this time, This isn't even the first instance with me, Even during my 1st XUV i spotted a rat leaving my car when my car was been taken on a flat bed, The car was in working condition only the error lights popped up, Rats can literally stay in the bonnet and you would never know.

For this incident this is just an option that may have happened, Lets wait out for a proper report from the VW and see what do they say, In short all i mean to say is Rats can cause major major harm to the car, Also never underestimate how much the rats can chew inside an engine bay.

As far as rat menace is concerned i have spent about 5000/- First the FR ABS sensor and then the fuel pipe. When i was there for my ABS sensor replacement on verna came on flatbed for injector replacement as each and every wire was cut by rat. Don't know how many injectors needed to be replaced but the estimate for the verna was whoopping 50k rs.
Old 22nd February 2017, 14:52   #47
BHPian

Volkswagen Jetta Caught Fire

Mod note: Thread already exists, please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks.

Off late , facebook is going viral with a 1.5 years old volkswagen Jetta that caught fire . Link to the news :
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...0caught%20fire

The incident happened in Kerala .
As per the article , the car was parked inside the parking lot , suddenly it caught fire and started emitting smoke . When the fire was finally extinguished the engine bay was completely burnt .Volkswagen has sent a repair estimate of 30 lakhs , when the cost of the car is actually 25 lakhs . Matter has been escalated to Volkswagen Germany , no updates yet. .
Generally German cars are known for their reliability and durability , if this is the kind of quality they provide on a premium car like Jetta,its highly unlikely people would buy their products at all . Response is equally poor , blame game is going on , ball is being passed from one court to another and the customer is being given a run around . I was planing to buy a German car , but now I will think twice before finalizing .

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd February 2017 at 15:44. Reason: Mod note: Thread already exists, please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks.
Old 1st March 2017, 09:13   #48

Today marks one month since the incident. The inspection team and the person whom I am in contact with at VW India had sought 10-12 days time to reach a decision at the time of the inspection. However, no reply whatsoever has been forthcoming.

I have written to them again this morning highlighting these aspects. It is rather worrying that an organisation with such a huge customer base as that of VW India is this lethargic in responding to a customer grievance, and that too, one as serious as the vehicle bursting into flames.

In the meanwhile, I intend to raise the bills for taxi hire costs incurred by me in the month of February 2017 in a day or two. As mentioned earlier, they had agreed to compensate me for my daily commute due to the non-availability of a stand-by car. I hope they at least adhere to that promise.

Praying for some response.
ithack is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 15:21   #49
BHPian

Why not go for legal recourse so that they will feel your pain ?

I know its a long process, but has its effect on manufacturers. A friend of mine got a case registered for his "phoren" laptop issue which when got numbered in the court and notice was about to be sent to manufacturer, amazingly the representative from manufacturer turned up and got it settled out of court with incessant calls from Asia Pacific Lead who checked with my friend daily "Thrice".. yes, you read it right, "Thrice" daily until the issue was fixed.

So, I think you should go for legal solution.
Old 1st March 2017, 15:34   #50
Senior - BHPian

I think wait for a little more time before going in the legal way, See what they reply first and still if they are not budging, You have an option to go to the legal way, But prefer if they come to a solution, Going the legal way you will get the result but it will take some time and you'll have to pay EMI for a car that your not driving.
Old 1st March 2017, 16:36   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithack View Post
Today marks one month since the incident. The inspection team and the person whom I am in contact with at VW India had sought 10-12 days time to reach a decision at the time of the inspection. However, no reply whatsoever has been forthcoming.

I have written to them again this morning highlighting these aspects. It is rather worrying that an organisation with such a huge customer base as that of VW India is this lethargic in responding to a customer grievance, and that too, one as serious as the vehicle bursting into flames.

In the meanwhile, I intend to raise the bills for taxi hire costs incurred by me in the month of February 2017 in a day or two. As mentioned earlier, they had agreed to compensate me for my daily commute due to the non-availability of a stand-by car. I hope they at least adhere to that promise.

Praying for some response.
We all seriously hope the best you get from Volkswagen.

I would like to suggest you one point (which you may know and maybe already doing by now), but in panic we forget to think about, is that "Do keep a call recording of all the talks that happen between you and any of the concerned person from Volkswagen". We cannot predict what might help us when we are confronting with a company wherein the culprit is still not yet been identified. Just a help from my side. I seriously can understand what might have been going in your mind and heart when the car that we love turns up this way.

Wish volkswagen takes the agony of their beloved customer to the heart and comes up with a satisfying solution.
Old 13th March 2017, 22:14   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any updates from VW? What happened or what they are planning to offer? Would be useful to know what the real issue was and how they resolve it for you and most important if others should worry?
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 11:20   #53
BHPian

Curious to know what finally happened? Gentle reminder on Jaggu's post.

What was the cause of the fire? Was it rats/rodents cutting off important wires? Or was it an engine issue?
In case it is the latter, Is Volkswagen owning up and providing a new car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Any updates from VW? What happened or what they are planning to offer? Would be useful to know what the real issue was and how they resolve it for you and most important if others should worry?

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th March 2017 at 10:42. Reason: Changing "thread" to "post" :)
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 10:26   #54

Two months have gone by since the incident. Maybe they know as to what the cause is. It seems unlikely that they would disclose it.

I am in the process of claiming insurance after having issued a notice to VW that the same would be without prejudice to my right to proceed against them for damages. Once the insurance comes through I intend to take a call on how to proceed as it's not easy having so much money locked in.
ithack is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 11:04   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two months have gone by since the incident. Maybe they know as to what the cause is. It seems unlikely that they would disclose it. I am in the process of claiming insurance after having issued a notice to VW that the same would be without prejudice to my right to proceed against them for damages. Once the insurance comes through I intend to take a call on how to proceed as it's not easy having so much money locked in.
I only wish things get sorted out in your favor and you have a happy ending to this long drawn ordeal. Chances of VW coming out with a 'true' outcome of their investigations is very remote as other's would come down on VW like a ton of bricks. Least they can do is strike a 'silence' deal with you and settle it with a new car or cash.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 2nd April 2017 at 11:07.
Old 6th May 2017, 18:41   #56

RESOLVED!

I post today with a great sense of relief. 1st May 2017 marked three months from the unfortunate incident. A few days prior thereto, Volkswagen put an end to my ordeal and settled the entire issue. I do not wish to disclose the terms of the settlement, but suffice to state that I am fully satisfied with the same.

I come to understand that the three VW dealers in Kerala, KTC Volkswagen (who was maintaining my vehicle, and with whom I had entrusted the vehicle following the incident), Phoenix Volkswagen (from whom I had purchased the vehicle) and EVM Volkswagen, through their top management had gone to great lengths to liaison with Volkswagen India officials to bring the entire issue to a close. It would be inappropriate not to thank them; and therefore I do.

I apologise for not having posted this earlier. I was on a tour of the North East Frontier regions of our country where connectivity was frugal.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th June 2017 at 17:46. Reason: Adding a title in bold so people don't miss this post :)
ithack is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 21:02   #57
BHPian

Great News. Relieved to know that your ordeal has come to an end finally. We fellow BHPians are more than happy about it.Though you do not wish to disclose the terms of settlement, we are happy​ for you, knowing that you are fully satisfied with the settlement.

While we are left wondering and speculating, since we don't have any details as to what was the root cause, I guess it is safe to assume it as an 'one off case'. That said, this incident hasn't dented my belief and trust on VW, even a tiny bit. I still see and I guess many of the fellow BHPians would agree that there is no denying of the fact that VW is quality world car maker.

However I still can't get rid of a lingering question in the back of my mind "What caused the fire ?"

Anyways, Happy Motoring.

Love and Live to Drive !

Last edited by BLACKBLADE : 6th May 2017 at 21:11. Reason: Minor grammatical correction.
BLACKBLADE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 00:49   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I post today with a great sense of relief. 1st May 2017 marked three months from the unfortunate incident. A few days prior thereto, Volkswagen put an end to my ordeal and settled the entire issue. I do not wish to disclose the terms of the settlement, but suffice to state that I am fully satisfied with the same.

I come to understand that the three VW dealers in Kerala, KTC Volkswagen (who was maintaining my vehicle, and with whom I had entrusted the vehicle following the incident), Phoenix Volkswagen (from whom I had purchased the vehicle) and EVM Volkswagen, through their top management had gone to great lengths to liaison with Volkswagen India officials to bring the entire issue to a close. It would be inappropriate not to thank them; and therefore I do.

I apologise for not having posted this earlier. I was on a tour of the North East Frontier regions of our country where connectivity was frugal.
Congrats!

Maybe I am repeating what blackblade said but what was the cause of fire?

Was it because of some VW part?
Some part that VW used but being manufactured by someone else and maybe being used in other cars as well?
Or was it because of some service etc done by some AUTHORISED service station which sprayed something?
Or maybe totally different?

If you know the reason it might help others in being cautious and safe.
anupamsinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 16:24   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Somehow missed this post, great to hear that this was settled to your satisfaction. Good gesture from VW and dealership! Having a legal background should have helped also i guess
Old 12th June 2017, 17:29   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Two months have gone by since the incident. Maybe they know as to what the cause is. It seems unlikely that they would disclose it.
Good to hear this. Can you share if this was settled via financial compensation or via a new replacement car? In any case, congratulations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks