Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2017, 23:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Difference between BS3 and BS4 engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt
Most of the BS4 vehicles currently in the market will have the same performance, efficiency and service/maintenance requirements when the norms switch to BS6 fuel.
What about the BS4 diesel engines like Fiat MJD or Ford TDCI engines while running on BS6 standard diesel?

Quote:
Our nation's issue with fuel adulteration will pose a major problem, bigger than now, as EU6/BS6 are less robust than BS4 systems. That will also have to be addressed by government in a strict manner.
Easier said than done.

Even today, even in Major metro cities, often we get such news about cheating pumps.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 00:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
What about the BS4 diesel engines like Fiat MJD or Ford TDCI engines while running on BS6 standard diesel?
In terms of performance or efficiency, they would continue unaffected just like the multitude of EU4 diesel vehicles running happily on EU6 fuel. Performance or efficiency gains will be primarily for direct injection turbo petrols (higher RON, lesser sulphur), and those diesel engines originally developed with EU6 in mind, but later de-tuned to accept BS4 grade fuel.

They are also unlikely to benefit from longer service intervals by using newer long life engine oils (this is applicable to BS4 VW TDIs also). I do not know specifically about the MJD/TDCI in EU, but VW TDIs that have flexible (long) service intervals also have additional oil quality sensors and algorithms that monitor and suggest the length of the flexible/extended service interval depending on driving patterns / vehicle operating conditions etc. Our cars don't have that yet (at least in the affordable models).

P.S: We have two cars in the family that tend to gain with RON 95. Still waiting

Quote:
Easier said than done.

Even today, even in Major metro cities, often we get such news about cheating pumps.
Quite true. However I see some positives in the recent strict adherence of BS3 sale/registration, and now removing the FAME subsidy for mild-hybrids. Seems someone or something has gotten into the system and make them think more than just blanket bans. I hope the same caution is exercised on the oil companies also to make them ensure fuel quality and prevent adulteration. Wishful thinking
Old 10th May 2017, 14:20   #18
BHPian

I wonder who will monitor the quality of fuel once BS-6 norms come into force. Even today, as officially required for BS-4 norms, we don't exactly have top quality fuel ( 91 RON) available everywhere. Just major cities have better quality fuel and as you move towards the outskirts, the fuel quality deteriorates.
Also, how would the addition/ blending of ethanol in fuels react with existing engines? Till date no one has written anything substantial which proves that blending ethanol is safe for current engines.

Any words?
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 14:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
I wonder who will monitor the quality of fuel once BS-6 norms come into force.
If you are referring to the fuel adulteration problems that plague our country, then it is true. Unless the govt and OMCs take vigilance and strong penalty is imposed on the perpetrators (whether fuel retailers, logistic contractors etc), the menace will continue.

Quote:
Even today, as officially required for BS-4 norms, we don't exactly have top quality fuel ( 91 RON) available everywhere. Just major cities have better quality fuel and as you move towards the outskirts, the fuel quality deteriorates.
However, BS4 grade fuel is available nationwide now. The timeline of its availabilty across the nation was shared earlier in this thread.
See here

Since BS3 itself, minimum octane rating for petrol has been RON 91. So, effectively since April 2010, whole of nation was being supplied with RON 91 fuel. BS2 was only RON88 minimum though.
Old 10th May 2017, 15:21   #20
BHPian

Well if you're sure then it's good! I thought only bigger cities were BS-3 compliant.
But recently on a trip outside my hometown I refuelled on the outskirts to realise that the fuel definitely was inferior or adulterated. Or it could be the effects of ethanol being blended in the fuel. God knows!
Old 10th May 2017, 16:55   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
Well if you're sure then it's good! I thought only bigger cities were BS-3 compliant.
I had cited the sources of the information also. Moreover, banning BS3 sales would be pointless unless BS4 fuel was being made available nationwide.

Quote:
But recently on a trip outside my hometown I refuelled on the outskirts to realise that the fuel definitely was inferior or adulterated. Or it could be the effects of ethanol being blended in the fuel. God knows!
Adulteration is indeed a major problem and unless they curb it, there is no point in having BS6 or BS5 fuel, real world emissions will always suffer. Furthermore the tolerance of BS6 emission systems and engines to adulteration/deviation of fuel standards will be much lesser than existing BS4 systems (especially diesels), and would result in expensive bills for vehicle owners.
Old 29th May 2017, 20:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
I was thinking of bringing in my US spec Euro-3 2014 K1600 GTL motorcycle (almost 3 years on it) on "Transfer of Residence" later this year. I am assuming since it's an used vehicle they will allow Euro-3 vehicle to be imported ? Any inputs ? Also if possible, will customs accept after market modifications to make it compatible with Euro-4 ?
IMO: I will be allowed only if already registered in India. Else new registration of an old imported vehicle will not be done. You can pay some additional taxes and get a temporary permit to use the vehicle in India. Such taxes and fees are very high.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks