Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2017, 05:20   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
Few things which required immediate attention after the car was returned in "pristine condition..."
What about the dent and scratches on the hood and the dirty interiors?? Were they fixed satisfactorily??
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 07:50   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, what can we deduce from all these blunders?
What one can deduce from these blunders??

Blunders is a term to be used when an act has gone horribly wrong out of ignorance.

These acts have been done intentionally out of sheer disregard for a car by the dealer. Such acts are classified as absolute negligence and wilful carelessness and deserve exemplary punishment so that owners are protected from similar commissions in future.

Forget the R&D wing of Maruti, the fact that a dealer can put engine parts on the back seat of the top end model of Maruti shows that they can inflict a lot of damage to every component of the car not just the engine. The R&D department testing the car should have been done only to gain further knowledge for Maruti not to repair the car.

The ONLY decision left to be taken now is WHEN TO TERMINATE THE DEALERSHIP AND NOT WHETHER after giving due thought to managing (a) the appointment of another dealer (b) existing cars being worked on (c) new cars / spares in transit to dealership etc etc to protect Maruti's reputation of having good dealers.

This dealership is at the worst possible level of service quality, trust and care. If Maruti doesn't terminate the dealership it indicates that the owner is connected either politically or to the higher ups at Maruti. This would naturally bring to question whether Maruti is an organisation that can be trusted.

One usually puts up with this treatment from a German ONLY to experience the far superior driving pleasure but to experience bad service with no benefits on the ownership experience isn't going to go down well with owners.

@Maruti: This is the start of the erosion of your hard earned goodwill. If the car is not brought back to showroom condition, you have just done an eyewash by only repairing the engine and will lose your trust with more than 100,000 member readers of this thread and several 100,000 non member readers who will pass on this information to all your potential customers.

What should You do to set right the situation?

A) Bring this car to showroom condition or replace it with a new car and take the car and engine for your R&D.

B) Terminate the dealership.

Anything less and you won't be able to protect your hard earned reputation.

Remember, It's a fairly quick slide downhill once it starts.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 09:20   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
What about the dent and scratches on the hood and the dirty interiors?? Were they fixed satisfactorily??
None whatsoever !!

I have found few screws lying around dashboard - wondering are they spare or not ?
100BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 09:36   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
None whatsoever !!

I have found few screws lying around dashboard...
I hope you are getting them to fix it. With no expense borne by you. If you have agreed to pay anything for the whole mess, then hold payment until all these issues are rectified.

I don't understand - how can someone deliver an unclean car after promising to give it in Showroom condition.

PS: Come to think of it, even my Alto was returned back with only the particular issue fixed - without cleaning of the existing dust + a complimentary dose of strategically applied grease and grime.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th June 2017 at 10:12. Reason: Your report is spot on :)
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 14:15   #395
BHPian

Quote:
None whatsoever !!

I have found few screws lying around dashboard - wondering are they spare or not ?
I'm pretty sure that it is the dealership that is at fault here. I feel that to return a car in a clean condition is just the most basic customer service that any dealer can do. I have had a couple of experiences wherein the service center has repaired minor dents / scratches without me telling them when the car was at their shop for a service.
Old 13th June 2017, 17:14   #396
BHPian

Now, coming to the actual repair & testing being carried out. Many parts are replaced other than engine assembly - making it a huge bill. But very few details are available to me about the reasons behind replacement of these parts.

From official report :

"2. Due to abnormal bore wear there is an increased engine oil flow upwards to combustion chamber. Excess oil getting spilled into intake/exhaust engine circuits"

I am trying to reconstruct about what has gone wrong with various parts & what could have caused it in these circuits & other parts too? I could not get much details from MSIL rep but 2 things stood out from the conversation / explanation :

1. Extremely high back pressure when the oil started to be sucked in cylinder & its internal flow to other parts causing damage &
2. Spray of very hot engine oil mixed with some fuel on the various parts

I am listing main parts which were replaced below & would like to know your technical inputs for correlation. Now, AFAIK this repair is carried out for both corrective & preventive issues & that's the way it should be.

About road test before delivery - car is driven for approx 500 Kms, road test details I don't know but I am keen to know these too if anyone has any experience related to this .

Parts changed :

1. Engine Assy

2. Pipe comp, inter cooler oulet - No idea what it is & what could have gone worng with it or how

3. Hose, inter cooler outlet - Looks like a sub assy item to item no. 2

4. Element, Air Cleaner - Now this guy was drenched in oil & would have died of pure shock - hence changed

5. Sensor Assy, MAF (13800M62M00) - *** is this ? Big Guy

6. Charger Assy, Turbo - This is the BIG guy - must have taken a kick in its ASS

7. Case, catalyst with DPF - This is another BIG guy - again a area where I would like to learn some more

8. Element, fuel filter - Most under designed guy in whole system - dont underestimate it because of its size - can bring cars worth millions to its knees literally - I would happily buy stocks of the company who develops a filter which can do more than current functions .

9. Oil filter

10. Sending Unit (18590M55P00) - ?? BIG guy

11. Controller Assy, DSL ENG - What could have gone wrong here ? Big guy

12. Harness set, main - Aren't these parts tested for worst ? Big Guy

13. Cable Harness - Big guy

14. Misc item (90900m12117) - again Big Guy - No idea in whole world

15. Coolant

16 . Last but not the least - MGDO (0W30) - 6 ltrs (0.7 more for some initial fill - I think so)

* Big Guy - Big bucks*

So, lots of grey & lots of fully unknown areas for me.
100BHP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 17:46   #397
BANNED

Quote:
2. Pipe comp, inter cooler oulet - No idea what it is & what could have gone worng with it or how

3. Hose, inter cooler outlet - Looks like a sub assy item to item no. 2
Intercooler hose (out of the intercooler) coming from turbo, going to intercooler and going to the engine. (Part no 2 & 5 in image).

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine-screenshot_20170613172139.png

Quote:
5. Sensor Assy, MAF (13800M62M00) - *** is this ? Big Guy
Reads the air flow into the engine and measures amount of air density to alter fuelling. Reads the amount of oxygen content in the intake air.

The other function it does is, reads the intake Air temperate (Part no 10 in image)

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine-screenshot_20170613174423.png

Quote:
7. Case, catalyst with DPF - This is another BIG guy - again a area where I would like to learn some more
Part number 14130M65MA0 (Part no 12 in image)

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine-screenshot_20170613172700.png

Surprising why this was changed.

Quote:
10. Sending Unit (18590M55P00) - ?? BIG guy
This is the Pressure sensor. It is the Manifold Absolute Pressure (intake manifold) sensor. (Part no 2 in the image)

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine-screenshot_20170613173907.png

Quote:
33920M65MA0 (Part no 15 in image)

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine-screenshot_20170613173047.png

Isn't this the ECU?

Last edited by a4anurag : 13th June 2017 at 18:09.
a4anurag is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 17:58   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been a silent reader of all the updates on your thread and since you were getting guidance from a lot of experienced members, did not butt in. The above in bold really caught my attention and would like to know from other owners / knowledgeable members if the 1.6 MJD in India comes with a DPF? If it does not, why have they installed the DPF in Mohit's car alone?
Old 13th June 2017, 17:59   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Surprising why this was changed.

Probably because of contamination from burning oil.

Many other parts, including the turbo and the ECU, must also have been replaced as precautionary measures​.
Old 13th June 2017, 18:05   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I have been a silent reader of all the updates on your thread and since you were getting guidance from a lot of experienced members, did not butt in. The above in bold really caught my attention and would like to know from other owners / knowledgeable members if the 1.6 MJD in India comes with a DPF? If it does not, why have they installed the DPF in Mohit's car alone?
Abhinav
There is no functional DPF in the Indian Scross 1.6.
It's just a part name copied from previous BOM.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 17:09   #401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Lower portion of front bumper dislocated
====
6. And the biggest blunder of all till discovered now - ECM has been changed and it has effected the keys function.
to see the list of pending stuff and damage! why would they remove reverse cam and stuff????!!

Quote:

12. Harness set, main - Aren't these parts tested for worst ? Big Guy

13. Cable Harness - Big guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
33920M65MA0 (Part no 15 in image)

Attachment 1648027

Isn't this the ECU?
Of course this means ECU and harness replacement.

Now am really puzzled, so far the damages were attributed to mechanical parts. How did ECU and electrical parts got affected?? Was there some other issue that led to the engine failure???
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 17:57   #402
BHPian

None to my knowledge or in their report. It might be attributed to oil spray on these parts or their exposed metallic connections.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th June 2017 at 06:24. Reason: Typos
Old 15th June 2017, 18:46   #403
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
None to my knowledge or in their report, it might be attributed to oil spray on these parts or their expsoed metallic connectios.
Nope, those couplers are water resistant, no way oil can get in due to such spraying
Old 15th June 2017, 19:34   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Nope, those couplers are water resistant, no way oil can get in due to such spraying
Also, the ECU in 1.6 S-Cross is not present in engine bay. It is very much hidden under wiper compartment
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 19:44   #405
Team-BHP Support

I think most of the components have been replaced as preventive as they won't have a clue what exactly went wrong contrary to their official findings. If they were sure that all this was caused due to fuel, many components like ECU would not have a changed. Only when you are unsure of exact fault does someone change everything. Very common Indian practice everywhere be it Automobile or Medical

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th June 2017 at 19:47.
Turbanator is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks