Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2017, 10:48   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine

A dealership as a whole is not going to engage in hanky-panky in engine oils, as in the owner of an MASS is not going to personally buy used/adultrated oil to cheat his customers and make a quick buck.

this is usually done by floor supervisors, technicians who are in charge of getting barrels down to the shopfloor on a partcular day, either independently or in collusion with oil company employees, driver/incharge etc.

So the question is when an engine gets damaged due to such shenanigans, who should foot the bill, Maruti will say what did we do wrong, dealership/MASS admin will say, hey I did not even know that this was going on ! The employee is the guilty party, but good luck trying to extract money for a high-end CRDI engine from his severence/PF/salary esp if he is a temp employee.

best solution for discerning automobile enthusiasts to endure this MASS/ASS drama for warranty sakes or whatever formalities and get the car out and change oil yourself once more. Nobody is going to know that you changed the oil or filter unless you mess it up royally or something. Ask your friend or FNG to do it for you in case you are confused. Use ASS oil as an engine flush, pour some STP flush into it just before oil change and discard it after 50-100 kms or asap.

Last edited by lurker : 30th May 2017 at 10:53.
Old 30th May 2017, 12:55   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

In principle, at least, the employee would be liable for such adulteration by their employees. If they did not know about it, that just means management/supervision is at fault.

But first, one would have to convince them that it happened.
Old 30th May 2017, 13:44   #303
Senior - BHPian

If this is true that the principal culprit is adulterated engine oil then the situation is alarming as almost 90% of customers believe in what has been filled by the ASS in their cars - which is claimed as fresh engine oil of prescribed grade by the car manufacturer.

Only a handful of people actually force them to use small cans (which are costly and not available in many cases) at the time of car service. I hope this is one off case and the same is not rampant across the ASS networks

A single employee at ASS cannot manage adulteration unless other staff members are not hand in glove (I can exclude the owner for the time being). There are enough margins otherwise also in terms of labour rates as well as consumables leave aside parts (which are replaced). Resorting to such levels is not something that will help mature the automobile market.

MSIL for one can continue to say that engine failure is because of poor fuel quality, they should really figure out the business practices adopted by the outlet which serviced this car about 2 months ago. It is always good to be watchful as their brand is equally at stake if this is not a case of manufacturing defect.

On a separate note, can this incident be shared with Fiat engineers? They might have their own hypothesis which may or may not differ with the conclusions drawn by MSIL.
Old 30th May 2017, 14:24   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
This is precisely the reason why I never felt comfortable while using the oil supplied at most ASCs. They either bring the required amount from a large can, or they have an overhead delivery system, something on the lines of a fuel station. It works in theory, but what is the guarantee of the grade/authenticity/purity of the oil?? We all know how ASCs find ways of inflating the bills-Can we not expect some of them to stoop so low so as to use such recycled/fake oils?? So at ASC, always insist for a separate small sealed can, instead of other ways of refilling.
I also experience the same dilemma. I have two 1.3 MJD's as in swift and ertiga zdi's. Swift is now out of warranty , while ertiga has still a year left. For the past 3 years, I carry my own engine oil for the yearly service ( Mobil Delvac 1 5w40). Now I get both the cars serviced together so I procure a 5L can and two 1L cans for the same. The oil change is done infront of my eyes.

Initially they (Magic Auto, mayapuri) did not agree , but when I insisted they reluctantly agreed. They make a noting in the comments section of the final bill that oil is supplied by customer with the following markings on the can ( Mobil Delvac 1 5w40). They always tell me that incase of warranty issues there might be problems. But God forbid , there have been none.

Now seeing the horrific tale of @100BHP, even those who do everything by the company's maintaince manual are not entirely immune to these arm twisting warranty tactics, I do not know that what tooth and nail will I have to fight to get a warranty redressal if any. I have mailed my concern on the engine oil to maruti umpteen times , but they simply do not have the time to reply back on any of my concerns.

Also , please note that the fully synthetic oil with all the maruti ASC is Mobile 1 0w40 , which according the info on the internet is more suitable for petrol engines and not diesel engines.

Last edited by Eddy : 30th May 2017 at 14:27. Reason: Fixed quotes
piyush78 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 14:39   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush78 View Post
Also , please note that the fully synthetic oil with all the maruti ASC is Mobile 1 0w40 , which according the info on the internet is more suitable for petrol engines and not diesel engines.
For the very same reason I have compiled this thread, do have a look: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ti-suzuki.html

MSIL have recommended 0W40 Mobil1 fully synthetic for their diesel engines.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 14:55   #306
Team-BHP Support

So what is the latest update @100BHP, has the work started or are they still debating on who is to foot the bill?

WRT oil and fuel adulteration- all the evidence has been thrown away and messed up with, the day the engine was opened up without proper documentation, or proof to the customer. So we can only speculate, what really went wrong. No one will find out the truth anymore lol

At the end of the day for whatever reason, an almost brand new engine literally blew up spewing oil! and owner is stuck in a rut with manufacturer and dealer. So much for the so called "Maruti is safe ownership" belief!
Jaggu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 20:21   #307
BHPian

Quick update for day 30th.. As informed by MASS, engine mounting has started today. Fuel system inspection will be done by Bosch. I will update further as I will get more details, hopefully MASS team will provide a very detailed report on repair and testing.
100BHP is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 20:29   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
Quick update for day 30th.. As informed by MASS, engine mounting has started today. Fuel system inspection will be done by Bosch. I will update further as I will get more details, hopefully MASS team will provide a very detailed report on repair and testing.

100BHP, I am glad for you, no matter what the root cause of the engine failure all is well that ends well.

I wish you many happy miles err kilometres with a brand new heart in your car.
Old 30th May 2017, 20:32   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Quick update for day 30th.. As informed by MASS, engine mounting has started today.
So, already the new engine reached the A.S.S? Have you visited the facility and seen the one? Any update on the cost break-up between Maruti and you? (Pardon me if you have already updated any of these in previous posts)
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 19:48   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi 100BHP, what's the progress like? Have they mounted the engine and has the fuel system been inspected? Is your car being repaired at the same service centre where they botched up initially?
Old 31st May 2017, 22:20   #311
BHPian

Update Day 31st

Engine mounting had been done and initial system tests are being done now. Currently installed with old turbo but it has been assured by MSIL rep that all testing will be done thoroughly before handing over the vehicle. MSIL GUYS are overseeing the complete process, I am very pleased with that :thumbup:. Fuel system is as is now...its fitness verified by respective OEM.
Outside and inside car looks fatigued, I want to believe Rohans team will do their best to meet showroom feel and look but they looked uninterested when some small items were pointed out on hood and front bumper....this team has miles to go before it meets nexa standards.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine-1496249164390.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine-1496249177640.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine-1496249188661.jpg  

100BHP is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 22:30   #312
Senior - BHPian

Did you not challenge Maruti's claims of adulterated fuel when the Bosch team cleared the fuel pump and other components of the fuel system? I think this part alone refutes Maruti's claim of adulterated fuel.

Or is Bosch claiming that the adulterated fuel did not affect their components?
honeybee is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 22:38   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

No point in challenging the dealership with such questions. They will give some answers for the sake of answering . Given that they are changing the whole engine, it's better to get the job done at the earliest and take the car out of the dealership ASAP.

Henceforth, one should ensure that the engine oil is filled in their presence
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 00:50   #314
Team-BHP Support

Irrespective of how this ends, this case has busted a bunch of Maruti myths.

Hassle-free ownership? Nope.
Peace of mind? Nope.
Exceptional customer service? Nope.
High professional standards? Nope.
Competent A.S.S.? Nope.
Company not afraid to take a dealer to task for malpractice (unprovable now because evidence was destroyed at A.S.S.)? Nope.

Nothing to say about the dealership (or as GTO likes to call such folk, 'stealer'ship), but I'm hugely disappointed with the manufacturer. Standing by bogus analysis when it's obvious to pretty much everyone that the facts don't add up. Not done
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 02:02   #315
Senior - BHPian

And the biggest of them,

NEXA means Premium? NO

But anyways Nexa guarantees only premium buying experience, not premium ownership, isn't it?

P. S. : Remembering the saying 'You will have to tell 100 lies to cover the first one.'

I pray you get the interiors in perfect condition otherwise they would remind you again and again of this bad experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Irrespective of how this ends, this case has busted a bunch of Maruti myths.

Hassle-free ownership? Nope.
Peace of mind? Nope.
Exceptional customer service? Nope.
High professional standards? Nope.
Competent A.S.S.? Nope.
Company not afraid to take a dealer to task for malpractice (unprovable now because evidence was destroyed at A.S.S.)? Nope.

Nothing to say about the dealership (or as GTO likes to call such folk, 'stealer'ship), but I'm hugely disappointed with the manufacturer. Standing by bogus analysis when it's obvious to pretty much everyone that the facts don't add up. Not done
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks