Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2017, 14:15   #211
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Simple non-technical consumer response .

If car engines, worldwide, cannot take a little bit of dirt/water/etc in the fuel, or a little too much oil in the sump, then car engines, worldwide, must be rubbish, and they must be exploding all over the place. They are not.

If car engines built and sold in India are not up to coping with normal Indian risks, then they are simply not fit for purpose: That is the manufacturer's responsibility. And they must be exploding all over the place. They are not also applies.
Well said! How come the engines can explode with minor adulteration in fuel. I don't agree at all with Maruti on this point. I never ever heard or experienced any issues so far which will make engine burst like this is city driving conditions. Check engine light who cares about it. I can never think driving for few kilometers with check engine light on will create such blunder.

This surely concludes that the poor Maruti Scross engine is a big failure and over sensitive hence not suitable for Indian driving conditions.

Last edited by roby_dk : 25th May 2017 at 14:16.
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 14:41   #212
BHPian

Extremely sorry for you mate, and am shocked to know how MASS reacted (or rather not) in your case.

I have a question, Did you complete the 3rd service in which the engine oil is replaced, and not just topped up, like 1st and 2nd services?

The reason for me asking this is the following: During my last service (10K), when the engine oil was supposed to be replaced, the SA asked me which oil he should use, the one for the DDiS 200 or DDiS 320 (0W30 spec), I was confused and when I replied to use the recommended oil, he told that both are recommended but the one from DDiS 200 would be cheaper.

I opened up the manual, and insisted that he used only the recommended 0W30 Spec Oil, as mentioned in the manual. He was reluctant, and also brought in another SA to convince me, but I remained firm on using the right spec, and in the end he agreed.

The reasons cited by SA were, that 0W30 oil is not available, it is expensive and not VFM etc.

My Point is, if MASS replaced the engine oil with incorrect spec in your case, and just do not want to accept this mistake of theirs? I am not sure if such a difference in oil would result in engine breakdown, just sharing my immediate thoughts. Perhaps experts can correct me here.
vidyasagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 15:22   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyasagar View Post
Extremely sorry for you mate, and am shocked to know how MASS reacted (or rather not) in your case.

I have a question, Did you complete the 3rd service in which the engine oil is replaced, and not just topped up, like 1st and 2nd services?

The reason for me asking this is the following: During my last service (10K), when the engine oil was supposed to be replaced, the SA asked me which oil he should use, the one for the DDiS 200 or DDiS 320 (0W30 spec), I was confused and when I replied to use the recommended oil, he told that both are recommended but the one from DDiS 200 would be cheaper.

I opened up the manual, and insisted that he used only the recommended 0W30 Spec Oil, as mentioned in the manual. He was reluctant, and also brought in another SA to convince me, but I remained firm on using the right spec, and in the end he agreed.

The reasons cited by SA were, that 0W30 oil is not available, it is expensive and not VFM etc.

My Point is, if MASS replaced the engine oil with incorrect spec in your case, and just do not want to accept this mistake of theirs? I am not sure if such a difference in oil would result in engine breakdown, just sharing my immediate thoughts. Perhaps experts can correct me here.
Thoroughly valid points!

We had already asked the OP to share his service invoice here to validate oil change (grade and quantity), but we are yet to see 100BHP share the same yet. (unless I missed it)

@100BHP: Any reason why this is not addressed to?
Old 25th May 2017, 15:35   #214
BHPian

I don't think there is too much of difference between the grades (DDIS 200 and DDIS 320) unless you are driving in very cold places. 0w30 and 5w30 is not much of a difference, unless he has used some other random grade.The figure before the w is the temp at which the oil could maintain its viscosity/flow.
Old 25th May 2017, 15:51   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Thoroughly valid points!

We had already asked the OP to share his service invoice here to validate oil change (grade and quantity), but we are yet to see 100BHP share the same yet. (unless I missed it)

@100BHP: Any reason why this is not addressed to?
Grade & Quantities of all services are OK as per spec, validated by MSIL team also but at the same time they are papers only.
All concerned pls be assured that from customer ownership side - all things were done as per standard only .
100BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 15:53   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju1971 View Post
I don't think there is too much of difference between the grades (DDIS 200 and DDIS 320) unless you are driving in very cold places. 0w30 and 5w30 is not much of a difference, unless he has used some other random grade.The figure before the w is the temp at which the oil could maintain its viscosity/flow.
That is a crude way of putting it, and yes, other than the grade, there are ACEA/API ratings to look at, and above it, most of us are interested in knowing the quantity.

Also, we are not sure if the mix up is between 0w30 or 5w30.

MASS has filled 5w40 in my friend's Baleno which is recommended 5w30, and has filled 5w30/40 in Petrol engines which are recommended 0w20 grade. This is as far as track record goes. There were attempts to fill 5w30 in our Ciaz petrol as well, a reason I make it a point to be with the car during service.
Old 25th May 2017, 16:58   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Simple non-technical consumer response .

If car engines, worldwide, cannot take a little bit of dirt/water/etc in the fuel, or a little too much oil in the sump, then car engines, worldwide, must be rubbish, and they must be exploding all over the place. They are not.

If car engines built and sold in India are not up to coping with normal Indian risks, then they are simply not fit for purpose: That is the manufacturer's responsibility. And they must be exploding all over the place. They are not also applies.
Yup, even if we conclude adulteration of fuel is the reason, if Maruti says /believes/thinks that the 1000s of S-Cross running across (!) the country with best quality fuel then, they should be drinking and smoking something really strange from Amazon jungle. This is scary. How MSIL easily blames the customer without proper technical insight and technical-common sense! Time to take the legal route (ready for few years to fight though like what happened with the Skoda!).
sgmuser is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 17:57   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Check engine light who cares about it.
I can never think driving for few kilometers with check engine light on will create such blunder.
Well, the check engine light does not offer you any indication of the severity of the problem.
It could be for something trivial, or it could be for something catastrophic.
So whether it's just heart-burn or a cardiac-arrest, one does not know !
Hence the need to check as soon as the check-engine light comes on - you ignore it at your own peril.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
This surely concludes that the poor Maruti Scross engine is a big failure and over sensitive hence not suitable for Indian driving conditions.
Technically, isn't the 1.6 diesel in the S-Cross a fully imported engine from FIAT ?
A bad engine from FIAT, what a shocker !
~
im_srini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 18:54   #219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
all things were done as per standard only .
So are there any further updates on the matter? Or have you accepted the cost sharing model offered to you?

Did they share detailed report of fuel analysis etc? Can it be shared?
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 19:23   #220
BHPian

Maruti should be taken to court for even suggesting that the customer pays anything. The car was sold AND serviced by them. So whatever the issue should be taken care of by them.

They should be taken to book for giving unacceptable excuses. And why should one take that lying down? Has anyone even asked as to what super-impurity got past their filters, fuel pump, nozzles, etc and busted up the engine so bad? It something they themselves goofed up on.

Audi also did this and used same excuse somewhere in the forums. Even Skoda's. So effectively Maruti has proved that when it comes to accepting their bad products and it's failures, they stand at the same level as the Skoda's and Audi's.

This should be put on some newspaper front page. So lame. Anyone having any press contacts please take this forward. Stooges should not be tolerated.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 00:02   #221
Senior - BHPian

I have been following this thread right from day 1. Just out of my wisdom, would like to check with the members that in this case, MASS and MSIL did not follow procedure and gave poor attention to the incident, which is disappointing and almost everyone has concurred that this is not something for which MSIL is respected.

This incident has also got due attention @ team-bhp as well as outside.

Can we also have discussion / insight of the cases related to MSIL, wherein the customer has come out happy with the treatment given by MSIL for the cases / incidents that required a major repair bill, and the company has addressed the problem at the first instance without even blinking !

This will atleast set the tone right; if this is just one off instance and has been mishandled due to the so called "extra smartness" shown by Rohan Motors, as there are several issues reported against this particular dealer in the forum!

I am sure there are positive instances to share too ! Just that such instances are either not reported or do not get due attention in the forum.

Last edited by i74js : 26th May 2017 at 00:09.
Old 26th May 2017, 01:30   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
some of the staff were aware of it and also informed that very soon circular would be issued stating no engine to be opened without presence of customer.
I think it would be a good idea to keep a watch on the TSBs issued in coming days/ months reaffirming the oil filling/ replacement/ top-up procedures or any other engine related procedure for any/all Maruti cars. Those might indicate the real cause of this catastrophic failure, as Maruti won't be comfortable in trumpeting the adulterated fuel theory and bear cost of engine replacement, in case such failure repeats again elsewhere.

Also, it would be worthwhile to keep tab on TSBs/ circulars for handling (not erasing) error codes for critical cases.
Old 26th May 2017, 03:17   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
... ... ...
This will atleast set the tone right; if this is just one off instance and has been mishandled due to the so called "extra smartness" shown by Rohan Motors, as there are several issues reported against this particular dealer in the forum!

I am sure there are positive instances to share too ! Just that such instances are either not reported or do not get due attention in the forum.
There is no tone to be set right. There is a whole forum, much of which is to do with the happier experiences of buying and driving vehicles.

This is about an experience gone bad. Very bad. And to say that other experiences may not go bad has nothing to do with it at all.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 08:53   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
So are there any further updates on the matter? Or have you accepted the cost sharing model offered to you?

Did they share detailed report of fuel analysis etc? Can it be shared?
Update Day 25 :

There has been discussion with MSIL yesterday also. I am awaiting for final feedback from them for repairs .

Hopefully it will be given today morning & by Sunday PO can be at its home again.

Thanks for little patience to all of you !

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th May 2017 at 12:19. Reason: Making heading bold for visibility :)
100BHP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 09:27   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
Update Day 25 :

There has been discussion with MSIL yesterday also. I am awaiting for final feedback from them for repairs .

Hopefully it will be given today morning & by Sunday PO can be at its home again.

Thanks for little patience to all of you !
Glad to hear that.

Kindly share all details and copies of paper work here so that we can get a chance to look at it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks