Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2017, 15:00   #76
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine

This is a really sad story. From the pics its no better than any road side garage. What sort of SVC is this which has no cleanroom for engine builds? To dump all the parts into the car cabin is just ridiculous. How is the premium service by Nexa? That engine is never going to be rebuilt to factory tolerances and standard. Best to demand an completely new crated engine from the factory instead of reconditioning this one. Because the reconditioned engine is just going to keep giving you problems with the methods that are going to be used to rebuild this engine. Its not a probability, its a inevitability.
PratikPatel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 15:03   #77
Senior - BHPian

If Maruti/Nexa dilly dallies on this more, the title can be changed to the "Sudden Death of Nexa"!!

I fail to understand why these folks have such a big issue with "Following a process". Especially with something as key as an engine.

The oil has splashed on the underside of the front of the bonnet. And in the pictures it is evident that it is concentrated on the front of the engine compartment. From picture shared before I guess the 1.6 DDiS oil filter is located somewhere near the front wheels rather than front of the engine as in the 1.3 DDiS. I think that Rohan Motors know very clearly what the issue is and I suspect an incompetent service procedure was followed.

As a potential customer very interested in the RS this has started to create some doubts in my mind wrt the "special Nexa experience".
MSIL's success was built on trust and if they started acting detached like VW they risk losing their USP. I hope someone from Maruti is monitoring this thread and takes the necessary steps to restore the trust of a customer.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 22nd May 2017 at 15:04.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 15:06   #78
BHPian

This is so typical of service centres washing their hands off when it comes to owning responsibility for manufacturing defects.

Anything under the hood- Adulterated fuel.
Electrical components- Never know Sir, can fail anytime!
Clutch, brake etc- Bad driving habits.
And so on.....

But as suggested by many forum members, you put your foot down and escalate to the highest possible level, pressurise them and eventually they will bow down.

All the best
Old 22nd May 2017, 15:11   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
It arrived in our family in December 2015 & slowly became an integral part of our family . It was a safe, no nonsense car meant to drive my family from point A to point B in comfort & safety. The pleasure of driving it was an additional advantage which my wife & myself relished on our long holiday drives. My kids named it “PO” – The Big Fat Panda !

Then it died a sudden death on 1st May’17 & mystery is yet to be solved !! This is the ongoing story of my Scross 1.6 delta.
Feeling sorry for what you have to go through. A few suggestions which may help you take decisions w.r.t. pushing the case forward to court or arguments with MASS -

1. Check the condition of Fuel Filter. It's obvious purpose is to remove impurities in the fuel.

2. Check the condition of Fuel Pump. This one might also fail if the fuel is not good. If it has problems, you might have felt jerks.

3. Check the condition of Fuel Lines. Bad fuel will have impact there as well.

4. Check the condition of Injectors. If the inferior fuel has reached injector, the spray nozzle hole size increases which results in higher amount of fuel entering the cylinder which can lead to high temperatures and scuffing on the piston. This, in long term, can damage the engine.

5. Check for any rusting or other deposits (impurities) on the cylinder walls. The impurities in fuel can lead to such deposits.

These checks are easier said than done.

I hope this ordeal finishes soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
This is a really sad story. From the pics its no better than any road side garage. What sort of SVC is this which has no cleanroom for engine builds? To dump all the parts into the car cabin is just ridiculous. How is the premium service by Nexa? That engine is never going to be rebuilt to factory tolerances and standard. Best to demand an completely new crated engine from the factory instead of reconditioning this one. Because the reconditioned engine is just going to keep giving you problems with the methods that are going to be used to rebuild this engine. Its not a probability, its a inevitability.
The engine has already failed. Its just the Post-Mortem going on. Engine has to be replaced.

Does MASS provides reconditioned failed engines?

Last edited by ampere : 22nd May 2017 at 16:15. Reason: Back to back posts merged
NitinMakhija is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 15:48   #80
Team-BHP Support

I was going through the pics posted in the opening post. Majority of oil smear seems to have happened at air intake end. Does this correspond to over filling of oil (without draining old oil maybe) resulting in oil being pumped into air filter box through the oil breather vent?
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 15:51   #81
BHPian

Deeply saddened by your ordeal.
It is a very shameful and shocking trend that most companies and service centers seem to follow: "Reject warranty at all costs".
I do not understand why all companies so badly try to shirk off responsibility.
Nobody wants to honour warranty. They just try and throw any excuse to get around it. Really awful behaviour.
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:12   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
@100BHP :
But, I couldn't find anything documented on the Web where fuel adulteration lead to oil spillage everywhere in engine bay. Maruti Suzuki.. How did you conclude it's fuel adulteration?? I still have some hopes left with Maruti Suzuki.
How obvious that adulterated fuel can only affect the fuel injection system or the combustion chamber or the exhaust system ! But not the lubrication system, which is well separated.

I can understand the incompetency/dis-honesty by the MASS, but what surprises me is that Maruti-Suzuki is supporting such unethical behavior.

Hope Maruti takes it seriously and resolves this issue ASAP.
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:15   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I was going through the pics posted in the opening post. Majority of oil smear seems to have happened at air intake end. Does this correspond to over filling of oil (without draining old oil maybe) resulting in oil being pumped into air filter box through the oil breather vent?
Oil was oberved in Exhaust end also - that's why emission check light came on ! Isn't oil is circulated in closed loop - how it went into exhaust system ?
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:22   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Oil was oberved in Exhaust end also - that's why emission check light came on ! Isn't oil is circulated in closed loop - how it went into exhaust system ?
One of the reasons for oil in the exhaust could be due to problems in the piston/rings. But definitely not caused by adulterated fuel
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:34   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you observe oil on the exhaust pipe or was it observed inside the exhaust as well ?

From pics, it seems the oil got sprayed all over the parts and some parts are covered with the oil vapours.

And, the source of leakage seems to be the INTAKE system.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:40   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Turbo seals also can give away leading to oil getting into intake, which in turn gets sucked into cylinders. Apart from the above mentioned indicator, was there a visible oil indication at exhaust pipe end?
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:48   #87
BHPian

Quote:

Then it died a sudden death on 1st May’17 & mystery is yet to be solved !! This is the ongoing story of my Scross 1.6 delta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
His email id: CV.Raman@maruti.co.in
Quote:
i have contacted CV Raman & Head of Service from Day 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Sent email to CV Raman!!
Sent an email supporting this cause with a note that we are united in this case. Sad to see the way this issue has been handled. I am with you on this mate!

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine-emailcvraman.png
sudeepg is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:57   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Did you observe oil on the exhaust pipe or was it observed inside the exhaust as well ?

From pics, it seems the oil got sprayed all over the parts and some parts are covered with the oil vapours.

And, the source of leakage seems to be the INTAKE system.
It was found using the finger test by the technician who came in first response. He probed the tail pipe inside with his finger & it came out coated with oil.
100BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:05   #89
BHPian

Very sad to see this happening to a Maruti and surprising to see Maruti handling this case this awful way. Rohan Motors is a notorious one. They have a branch in Gurgaon as well and during my short stint there, I purchased a SX4 Auto. When I left Gurgaon for good and tried to sell it, they gave all negative feedback to the potential buyer saying funny things! But I saw this silly and cut throat behaviour almost everywhere in Gurgaon! Coming back to the original issue, it looks like a case of over fill of oil either simply by over filling or not draining properly still fill usual capacity of oil (4 liters or so). The worst case scenario is that it is a major manufacturing defect for this piece. Either case, it is MSIL responsibility. I am surprised that a car company which refunded the money because it reduced the car price after the price cut, why they should do this? I am not very convinced from MSIL perspective. But Rohan Motors has given some really wrong feedback to MSIL, and they always take the dealer's word first unless otherwise it is very obvious/previous incidents.

But, Maruti has proved they do not have experience in handling high tech or (whatever) luxury products!

Last edited by sgmuser : 22nd May 2017 at 17:07.
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:17   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

Handling of the car & Repair work at Rohan Motors (MASS) has been ridiculous.
a) Head unit knob missing
b) Turbo lying in one corner
c) Injectors dumped somewhere on the seat.
d) Miscellaneous dirty parts on the seat.
e) Mighty expensive catalytic converter lying in the middles of all stuff.
I am worried about the possible solution , but I am terrified to imagine how they will assure the reliability of the repairs, assurance of factory like quality with all those quality checks, how will they gauge what other effect / stress this issue had on other components & their life ? What is th effect of dust & grime & poor handling on wiring, injectors, fuel tank, turbo etc .

I am worried sick how will i own this car with peace of mind ever - will they get it repaired at factory - verified by all those tests ?
100BHP is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks