Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2017, 09:37   #196
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine

Maruti should replace the complete engine,provide complete new warranty from day 1 of new engine installation,this is what they need to do rather then the shitty fuel adulteration story.

Mind you this thread is making a lot of ingress and yesterday when i went to local MASS,i breached this topic of the s-cross and was surprised that some of the staff were aware of it and also informed that very soon circular would be issued stating no engine to be opened without presence of customer.

While i spoke to one of the senior techs out there, he mentioned that this is a clear case of oil overfilled without old oil being drained.
All i can think of is henceforth its best to see the oil change yourself and then let them carry on the rest of work.
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 09:59   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

@100bhp
Many opinions from all and sundry on what constitutes satisfactory closure. Your satisfaction is what counts.

@Oil overfill theorists
How can overfill of oil cause this? That too a month and 1500kms later? Unless @100bhp is such careless driver that he did not notice smoke and oil drips for this period?

Last edited by sudev : 25th May 2017 at 10:01.
Old 25th May 2017, 09:59   #198
Senior - BHPian

Before agreeing to anything, I guessthe OP should take the fuel receipts from the last servicing till the date of the incident, and take the adulterated fuel report to the company running the gas station.

If it's a case of oil overfill, Maruti must acknolwdge it and take full responsibility for the damages too.
Old 25th May 2017, 10:36   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@Oil overfill theorists
How can overfill of oil cause this? That too a month and 1500kms later? Unless @100bhp is such careless driver that he did not notice smoke and oil drips for this period?
Our santro was overfilled and it ran fine for more than 100 kms, before i noticed the issue. Went and drained and refilled new oil. Thank fully no turbo and all, so car survived. Only minor leak at valve cover popped up. Car was used by my wife and she is generally a sedate driver, maybe that is another reason.

Same santro had coolant spewing and smell coming, wife never noticed it. A non car enthusiast and a common person does not always look for smell and signs.

@Sudev: Having said that i am really really curious, if you have theories of how adulteration ruined this engine? Please do share? What kind of adulteration do you suspect? Kerosene type or some other chemical reaction?

Last but not the least, wont the fueling system first fail in such a case? Will it allow vehicle to run around to such a failure. What about injectors and pumps.
Jaggu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 11:12   #200
BHPian

If there was fuel adulteration
1. Solid particles which could be removed by the filtration system.The filtration system would normally be designed keeping in mind the clearances at the fuel pumps and injectors.If we assume that something made its way through the filtration system, it would score the finely finished fuel pump surfaces,which would affect the combustion pressure and one would notice a drop in pressure.One long fetched theory would be if the wear was really bad fuel might find its way to the crankcase sump thus reducing the viscosity of lubricating oil.
2. Mixing with other fluids-would affect the viscosity and cetane index,would affect combustion and loss of power/smoke would be noticeable. It might also affect the peak pressure developed.
But coupled with other symptoms it looks like a far fetched idea.
Old 25th May 2017, 11:23   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@Sudev: Having said that i am really really curious, if you have theories of how adulteration ruined this engine? .....
Have already shared my analysis in earlier post on thread.

Your experience of oil overfill is exactly what I would have expected. Even in turbo diesel similar scenario would have played up.

Not saying that oil overfill happened but if it did then 100bhp might be at fault. That's what one should conclude from oil overfill theory proponents.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th May 2017 at 12:17. Reason: Rephrasing 2nd last line to be less accusational.
Old 25th May 2017, 11:37   #202
Team-BHP Support

Ok thanks, if i remember correct you were also not sure of this contamination theory.

Quote:
Not saying that oil overfill happened but if it did then 100bhp is one careless driver. .
Respectfully i would want to disagree here, in my whole extended family with about 15+ car owners most of them engineers or doctors, i can assure you that (apart from me and another cousin) none of them care more than filling fuel and topping air pressure. They religiously send their cars to service and pay obnoxious bills without caring to cross check.

So in my unscientific home brewed statistics of indian household itself, your expectation just went overboard
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 11:42   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

@Jaggu

Not understood you. But I am saying that 100bhp is no ordinary car user and oil smoke etc. would have caught his attention.
Old 25th May 2017, 11:55   #204

So sorry and feel shocked to read through this nightmare that you have had to live thru.

A reputed company like Maruthi should definitely be much more responsive and note let the issue hang around for this long a period.

I just hope that they diagnose the issue properly and ensure that all cars sold be looked into for preventive measures to avoid such re-occurrence.

Least can any of the owners do anything to ensure that the fuel is not adulterated. Shocking to read that fuel adulteration is the root cause of this issue based on the learned findings of the maruthi experts.

Do not take the blameless owners for a royal ride at our expenses.

pray that the car is delivered back in original condition with necessary warranty and guaranty being provided to protect against such re-occurrence, failing which legal route should be pursued

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th May 2017 at 12:05. Reason: Please stick to two smilies per post. Thanks.
Old 25th May 2017, 11:59   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
*UPDATE DAY 24*

Today we had a meeting with a team from MUL headed by Mr. AK & comprising of 5 other members of diverse teams + Rohan Auto corporate rep.

Summary of 2 hours long meeting (will share detailed version in due course of time) :
1. MSIL opinion & report remains same - fuel adulteration - hence its not a manufacturing defect (report received)
2. As a goodwill gesture - MSIL will bear part of the replacement process & rest will be borne by customer
3. Mr. AK is asked to float approval to get 100% contribution from MSIL - response awaited - partial support feels like 0% customer satisfaction for the mental trauma, I am quite hopeful TEAM-BHP voice will resonate louder
But till now it has been made easy than it looks with the enthusiastic support from all fellow auto enthusiasts.
Special mention of @KPZEN who has been a constant guide from Day 1.
I believe you (the customer) should not have to share any part of the costs - and are eligible for some sort of warranty. Because, it is either a manufacturing defect or a service center goof-up. If you do have to spend money from your pocket, I think fixing this engine should not be a big deal by a good multi-car workshop.

We should in that case up the ante by using Twitter/Facebook.
Old 25th May 2017, 12:09   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
It is very hard to find a good FNG. At the same time we never know if they are enough competent on the new or latest products in market. I feel they are much comfortable with mass market cars and are deprived of some parts that can be found at authorized dealers only.

Till the time car is under warranty one should stick to ASS later it depends on the availability and nature of the job to be done.

These are purely my observations.
No doubt about it. But, warranty does not mean that I need to get daylight robbed.

Why should I not change the oil in my FNG which charges far less and does the same job that A.S.S does ? Why cannot I get my car checked by a more senior mechanic in FNG when compared to small kids in A.S.S who have no clue other than to follow the book ?

I agree that the major work as such should be done at A.S.S since I have paid for the warranty, but minor work and second opinion is always better with FNG people since they have tribal knowledge.

Quote:
*UPDATE DAY 24*
1. MSIL opinion & report remains same - fuel adulteration - hence its not a manufacturing defect (report received)
Have they mentioned how fuel adulteration made the engine splurt oil out of its heads and all over the engine ?

I am sure you did not fill up your tank with nitrous or methanol to get the heads and seals blown or turbo burning out.

Not sure what to make of this explanation from MSIL.

Last edited by prithm : 25th May 2017 at 12:15. Reason: Multiquote
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 13:16   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Have already shared my analysis in earlier post on thread.

Your experience of oil overfill is exactly what I would have expected. Even in turbo diesel similar scenario would have played up.

Not saying that oil overfill happened but if it did then 100bhp is one careless driver. That's what one should conclude from oil overfill theory proponents.
Kindly stick to technical explanations & theories even, NO need to get personal !
100BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 13:20   #208
4WD

Though an avid reader of Team BHP, this is my first post in over 6 years after creating my account here.
Looking at the way Maruti / Nexa has handled the situation, I am unable to remain quite any longer. Today that victim was 100BHP, tomorrow it could be me. Really disheartened by the way the so called "Premium" experience offered by Nexa. The way they reset the ECU without letting know the error code, dismantling the engine without the consent of the customer, the way the parts were stored in the shop floor / back seat - all put a check in the wrong places.
I was contemplating on purchasing a Baleno from Nexa, but then this whole ordeal has left a bad feeling altogether.
Old 25th May 2017, 13:34   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Kindly stick to technical explanations & theories even, NO need to get personal !
Here I was intending to convey that you being aware and responsible driver would have noticed such things......oh well I guess you do not agree.

Chill
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 14:05   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Simple non-technical consumer response .

If car engines, worldwide, cannot take a little bit of dirt/water/etc in the fuel, or a little too much oil in the sump, then car engines, worldwide, must be rubbish, and they must be exploding all over the place. They are not.

If car engines built and sold in India are not up to coping with normal Indian risks, then they are simply not fit for purpose: That is the manufacturer's responsibility. And they must be exploding all over the place. They are not also applies.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks